• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rarest High Grade Silver Age Comic
2 2

33 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, miraclemet said:

67 copies on census, 4 copies sold this year including the CGC 8.0 (5 higher and 4 in that grade) dont know how rare that makes it...

A short lived title that ran out of steam by August of 1959. Reads like Stan Lee dug back in his "hold" file of sci-fi and post code "horror" and put together a few issues.  What about that can be argued as "the first Marvel silver age comic"? Marvel hadn't even changed it's name to Marvel yet!

I think the claim to fame is from the triple-threat of Lee+Ditko+Kirby. They did pretty well I hear...

crop.jpg.c1d19b8e90c9c83c72e83c91d044cde9.jpg

On 6/29/2020 at 9:35 PM, DanCooper said:

NOT mine....I wish it was!

From the famous Newsboy collection (bought by Mike Goldman Motor City Comics and auctioned off by Heritage in 2009)

image.png.c12a7ff6b36de02ea12fee5759784132.png

Well, it looks like this copy from the Newsboy collection will be coming up for auction again in November at Heritage after 11 years!

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/showcase-17-adam-strange-dc-1958-cgc-vf-nm-90-off-white-to-white-pages/p/7236-179033.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

I did notice that, at the last Heritage Signature Auction in August, copies of Showcase 1, 5, 15 and 16 from the Newsboy collection were auctioned off. Mark Wilson was the original buyer of these back in 2009 (along with this Showcase 17 as well as the Showcase Flashes and others). The speculation was Mark had bought the Showcases for a client back then, but (shrug)

I think the Showcase 4 (lone 9.6!) was up for sale a few years back (Comiclink?) for close to a million $ ($995K?)

Don't know if it exchanged hands then, but Mark bought it at Heritage in 2009  for $179,250, which was amazingly low for that copy at that time, but it was a year after the world financial crisis.

Edited by DanCooper

6 hours ago, tth2 said:

The 9.6 B&B 28 is my old 9.4 copy.  Man I love this hobby! :frown:

I remember the 9.4 B&B 28 that sold at Heritage around 15 years ago.

It was an old label CGC and could have graded either a 9.4 or 9.6, without any additional help, depending on what sets of eyeballs were looking at it (maybe really a 9.5!)

Census for Brave & Bold 28  is currently showing one copy in 9.6 and one copy in 9.4. Hopefully, it's not the same book!

Edited by DanCooper

35 minutes ago, DanCooper said:

I remember the 9.4 B&B 28 that sold at Heritage around 15 years ago.

It was an old label CGC and could have graded either a 9.4 or 9.6, without any additional help, depending on what sets of eyeballs were looking at it (maybe really a 9.5!)

Yes, that's the copy.  Now in a 9.6 slab.

35 minutes ago, DanCooper said:

Census for Brave & Bold 28  is currently showing one copy in 9.6 and one copy in 9.4. Hopefully, it's not the same book!

I believe the 9.4 in the current Census is a different book.  I seem to recall it appeared in the Census before the other 9.4 was cracked and resubbed.

25 minutes ago, tth2 said:
1 hour ago, DanCooper said:

I believe the 9.4 in the current Census is a different book.  I seem to recall it appeared in the Census before the other 9.4 was cracked and resubbed.

In the July 20, 2013 CGC Census, there were 2 CGC 9.4 and 0 CGC 9.6.

In the October 10, 2017 CGC Census, there was one of each. (thumbsu

http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/search/comicid/553

Hello all, I'm looking around to see if anyone has any thoughts on this "variant" Showcase 17 that's up at CLink. Finding anything about this is like finding hens teeth. I posted in another thread as well but am thinking it may warrant its own as opposed to scabbing onto these random ones that happen to mention it...