• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tmnt 104 RI cover

Tmnt 104 RI cover first appearance of the last ronin?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Is it the first appearance of the last ronin?

• Yes
    • No

5 posts in this topic

I'm giving this a "No".

For starters, we don't know what the story is yet for the Last Ronin.  Presumably, it takes place in a future where 3 of the turtles are no longer in the picture with a single, older-looking turtle left, wearing a cloak and a black bandanna and carrying the weapons of his brothers along with his own.  That's about all we have to go on so far.  We don't even know which turtle it is.  

The cover for 104 you posted above seems to be a Turtle (seemingly Donatello based strictly on the belt design) in the current day (no cloak or black bandanna) holding the weapons of all the turtles.  I don't think simply holding all 4 types of weapons is enough to say that it's a first appearance.  It's the same reason I don't consider this Eric Talbot commission I picked up a few years ago a Last Ronin prototype:

vuqk97ef_2805152317521.jpg.ad898a72dccfb9731ae704effdb63bab.jpg

Just so all the information is here, Gwenpool was a bit of a fluke.  In 2015, the character Spider-Gwen really rose in popularity.  To celebrate, Marvel made a series of variant covers that showed an amalgamation of Gwen and the title character.  Iron Man became Iron Gwen.  Howard the Duck became Gwen the Duck.  Groot became Gwoot.  For some reason, the amalgamation of Gwen and Deadpool (Gwenpool) caught fire with fans.  Because of this, Marvel created a whole backstory for the character based entirely off that one cover.  

So Gwenpool became a whole new character based on an appearance on a variant cover.  We don't know the details of the Last Ronin storyline yet.  It could be one of the mainline Turtles.  It could be Jennika.  It could be some other mutant turtle we've not met before.  In any case, a random turtle holding all 4 weapon types, to me, does not qualify as a "first appearance".  

If you think otherwise, I'd love to know your thoughts.

On 7/3/2020 at 10:22 AM, Turtle said:

I'm giving this a "No".

For starters, we don't know what the story is yet for the Last Ronin.  Presumably, it takes place in a future where 3 of the turtles are no longer in the picture with a single, older-looking turtle left, wearing a cloak and a black bandanna and carrying the weapons of his brothers along with his own.  That's about all we have to go on so far.  We don't even know which turtle it is.  

The cover for 104 you posted above seems to be a Turtle (seemingly Donatello based strictly on the belt design) in the current day (no cloak or black bandanna) holding the weapons of all the turtles.  I don't think simply holding all 4 types of weapons is enough to say that it's a first appearance.  It's the same reason I don't consider this Eric Talbot commission I picked up a few years ago a Last Ronin prototype:

vuqk97ef_2805152317521.jpg.ad898a72dccfb9731ae704effdb63bab.jpg

Just so all the information is here, Gwenpool was a bit of a fluke.  In 2015, the character Spider-Gwen really rose in popularity.  To celebrate, Marvel made a series of variant covers that showed an amalgamation of Gwen and the title character.  Iron Man became Iron Gwen.  Howard the Duck became Gwen the Duck.  Groot became Gwoot.  For some reason, the amalgamation of Gwen and Deadpool (Gwenpool) caught fire with fans.  Because of this, Marvel created a whole backstory for the character based entirely off that one cover.  

So Gwenpool became a whole new character based on an appearance on a variant cover.  We don't know the details of the Last Ronin storyline yet.  It could be one of the mainline Turtles.  It could be Jennika.  It could be some other mutant turtle we've not met before.  In any case, a random turtle holding all 4 weapon types, to me, does not qualify as a "first appearance".  

If you think otherwise, I'd love to know your thoughts.

Not to mention, the term "The Last Ronin" denotes that it is not a new character at all, but rather the last remaining highly skilled warrior.  So, given that this is a story that Kevin and Peter wrote in 1987, we can assume that it's not Jennika.  Just because three of the brothers are gone (presumed dead but who knows, maybe they just decided to hang it up and only one is keeping up the fight they started, probably Raph) doesn't make this a first appearance.  It's just Leo, or Donny, or Raph, or Mikey in a cool shirt holding a bunch of weapons.