• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dents/fingerbends

7 posts in this topic

I'm trying to get a feel for how these small dents affect grade, like when 3-4 of them, or 8-10 of them, show up on an otherwise 9.4 book.

It's really hard to get a picture of them, but I have tried below.

What part of the standard Overstreet-type grade descriptions does this fall in to?

20200629_155023.jpg

20200629_155104.jpg

20200629_155325.jpg

On 6/29/2020 at 6:34 PM, GlennSimpson said:

So 1-2 still good for NM

How many before it drops to 9.2?

How many for 9.0?

How many for 8.0?

Those are pretty impossible questions to answer, since there are many factors to consider when grading a book. Finger dents and bends can also vary in size, depth and placement, as well as often being more (or less) visible due to the color of the cover.

And has been pointed out, they are often removed by proper pressing...something to consider.  hm

1 minute ago, The Lions Den said:

Those are pretty impossible questions to answer, since there are many factors to consider when grading a book. Finger dents and bends can also vary in size, depth and placement, as well as often being more (or less) visible due to the color of the cover.

And has been pointed out, they are often removed by proper pressing...something to consider.  hm

Well, here's the thing. The difference between 9.0 and 9.2 can mean the difference between $1 and $4.  Which when multiplied times thousands of comics can make a big difference in insurance value, but it's not like I can press thousands or comics or probably not bother to do it for a $3 difference.  But what is interesting to me is how nobody seems to talk about these dents - they are not mentioned in Overstreet descriptions or anything.

24 minutes ago, GlennSimpson said:

Well, here's the thing. The difference between 9.0 and 9.2 can mean the difference between $1 and $4.  Which when multiplied times thousands of comics can make a big difference in insurance value, but it's not like I can press thousands or comics or probably not bother to do it for a $3 difference.  But what is interesting to me is how nobody seems to talk about these dents - they are not mentioned in Overstreet descriptions or anything.

I understand your concerns. What I'm saying is that without actually seeing the books in question, it's almost impossible to evaluate the grade with any real certainty. And as you've pointed out, finger dents and bends aren't generally recognized in any of the grading guides I've encountered. But very often they have a direct impact (pardon the pun) on the final grade a book receives. 

The only advice I can give you is to pick out the best possible examples you can find before sending them to CGC. If you have a large number of books you're thinking of submitting, you could also consider a pre-screen for the desired grade...