• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tony S Daniel Is he underrated/undervalued?
1 1

35 posts in this topic

The problem I have with Tony is that the prices are always significantly higher on CAF than the big cartel website.  I guess he figures hard core comic fans are on CAF and he can price gouge.

Other than that huge NO NO, I think he is a talented artist and a nice guy when I met him at various  conventions.

He started off as a Silvestri clone at Top Cow, evolved over the years to draw in a more realistic, grittier art style.  He is freelancing again so he's back doing variant covers for Marvel.

For full disclosure, I do have art by Tony in my collection.

Tony Daniel Joker

Tony Daniel Superman Gatefold Cover

Edited by NelsonAI
Typos

1 hour ago, MagnusX said:

Him being mostly a DC artist
and with the recent DC Implosion
I want to see how his price mark hold
in the next couple of months and years...

Just curious, how do you think the DC liquidation effects OA prices? Never even thought about it. 

22 minutes ago, Blastaar said:

Just curious, how do you think the DC liquidation effects OA prices? Never even thought about it. 

Will drive them up in the near term. 
That will change, again, eventually, and more will be published. Regardless as to how highly profitable they are, they still remain a great source of inspiration for movies and TV. The comics are virtually story boards.

I recently picked up this page from his Batman RIP run with Morrison. His art usually isn’t for me but RIP was an exception. I love that story and I thought he put in career work on it. 

I think the prices I’ve seen his pieces sell for on eBay and auctions, and what I paid for this, is about fair. 

CEA425F7-AA5F-4BD5-AF22-BD8198B6597D.jpeg

If it was the Spidey variant cover with Green Goblin, Vulture, Rhino, and Doc Ock, it sold for his $5K asking price.

It was one of his better Marvel covers with classic villians.  Cheaper than the $6K he's asking for Batman covers.

Congrats to both buyer and seller.

Edited by NelsonAI
Typos

On 8/13/2020 at 11:00 AM, MagnusX said:

Him being mostly a DC artist
and with the recent DC Implosion
I want to see how his price mark hold
in the next couple of months and years...

The new Batman trailer looks incredible. Might give his work a bump in price. New Suicide Squad movie be helmed by Gunn couldn’t hurt either. 

On 7/19/2020 at 11:35 PM, Buzzetta said:

I have never shopped for an artist.  Outside of comic collectors, no one would know what a Ditko or Kirby or Romita is.  However when people come over they definitely know who Superman is and want to know if it is original art. 

I meant to respond to this comment awhile ago. I'm definitely in the minority of comic book art collectors in that while I collect Silver and Bronze Age art, I really don't have a lot of interest in covers or splash pages. The condition of the art is usually bad (yellowing, yellow tape holding up text, lots of whiteout) and 1/3 of the page is a stat (not art), etc.

That said, based on the way you collect, there would be no reason to buy any art more than $100. Just pick up a new page of Superman from a relatively unknown artist and frame, so when someone comes by they say "Superman" is that original? And while I totally agree that no one outside of comic collectors knows who Ditko or Kirby is, almost no one would understand black and white line art. You should buy only color pages (either colored by the artist or someone after the fact), because that is what they would be use to seeing in a comic book. To them, every piece of black and white line art (other than maybe strip art in the newspaper) would just look like an incomplete sketch.

Obviously, you collect the way you do (good for you), but if we all collected (pretty much anything) based on what non-collectors found interesting, pretty much no collectibles would be worth anything. Who wants a old, beat up coin, antique furniture, dingy comic book or an incomplete piece of spider-man art, when you can buy a new one.

8 hours ago, sfilosa said:

I meant to respond to this comment awhile ago. I'm definitely in the minority of comic book art collectors in that while I collect Silver and Bronze Age art, I really don't have a lot of interest in covers or splash pages. The condition of the art is usually bad (yellowing, yellow tape holding up text, lots of whiteout) and 1/3 of the page is a stat (not art), etc.

That said, based on the way you collect, there would be no reason to buy any art more than $100. Just pick up a new page of Superman from a relatively unknown artist and frame, so when someone comes by they say "Superman" is that original? And while I totally agree that no one outside of comic collectors knows who Ditko or Kirby is, almost no one would understand black and white line art. You should buy only color pages (either colored by the artist or someone after the fact), because that is what they would be use to seeing in a comic book. To them, every piece of black and white line art (other than maybe strip art in the newspaper) would just look like an incomplete sketch.

Obviously, you collect the way you do (good for you), but if we all collected (pretty much anything) based on what non-collectors found interesting, pretty much no collectibles would be worth anything. Who wants a old, beat up coin, antique furniture, dingy comic book or an incomplete piece of spider-man art, when you can buy a new one.

(shrug)

15 hours ago, sfilosa said:

I didn’t take his comment literally, but he has a legitimate perspective. If art is to be seen, then it makes sense for someone to pick a subject to which others relate. Why else would so many people buy landscapes as art? And, you are correct about black and white art. My better half doesn’t like any of it, really, although she can now distinguish between things she thinks are better than others. Curiously, her views don’t often track pricing as she often likes things costing less.

As to price and value, I think that is a weak spot in this hobby. A lot of purchasing is based, at least in part, on nostalgia. I have said this before, but as someone whose own nostalgia stretches back over 50 years, I think that on balance, we are seeing some of the highest level art in the past 20 years the field has ever enjoyed. It is collectors who buy the new stuff, often inexpensively, who will eventually rule this hobby after we are in our graves.

I would say most people who buy art are looking for something to cover their walls. Not for the piece to "inspire" them. Therefore non-controversial scenes like landscapes often work well.

Your better half is like mine. I do have Paintings through-out the house (which she really doesn't like but at least there is color). All my black and white art is framed in my office. That said, her favorite piece actually shows a topless women but it is a Jay Anacleto piece. She (and everyone else who has seen it), can recognize the talent needed to draw it. I don't think most non collectors see "talent" in a lot of true comic art. 

I also agree with you regarding new art. It is very easy for me to say Neal Adams, Bernie Wrightson, Jim Steranko, etc. comic book art took it to the next level (which is why even average pieces sell for a lot more than others at that time). But there are some great artist today, but we have to take out the nostalgia factor first to see that (since there is no nostalgia and sometimes they are drawing characters we don't even know).