• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver Age pedigree thread
2 2

224 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, namisgr said:

I remember when Marnin posted the first list of books for sale in a CBG ad in 1993 and through a flyer mailed to his past customers.  At the time, I didn't have the money committed to comic collecting to buy any of the big ticket books or more than a handful of cheaper ones.  The early ten cent Detectives were NM- and lower grades and were pretty cheap, from the 1960 period when the original owner was too young to take pristine care of new books.

I was lucky to pick up the JIM85 - owing to a small Marvel chip along the right edge, Marnin had it graded as a VF/NM and so it lacked the seemingly stratospheric price tag that so many of the NM+ and NM/M graded books did.

The multiples that Marnin was asking were really breathtaking at the time for SA books.  Not until the Pacific Coast collection came out did I see comparable multiples for SA. 

Of course in retrospect, particularly with the verification by CGC that the books were as high grade as advertised, they were all bargains.