• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

All Hail The Lord of the Jungle
3 3

108 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, N e r V said:
21 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

singleseries20.jpg

The Tip Top series has some great Tarzan covers but I’m old school and old enough to remember when this book was once revered with the likes of Action #1, Tec #27 and any number of other classic GA books. In my opinion still the standout in comics for classic Tarzan covers. Need to get one back again...hm

Not going to say great copy because you’d have to be an i-d-i-o-t  not to know that....:makepoint:

I think I have mentioned it before, but when Brian Peete originally showed the Central Valley books I was fortunate to be the first to see the Single Series. It was raw and he was going to get it graded. I told him that I wanted it and asked if he would let me know when it got back from CGC. No price was mentioned, though he did say it would be expensive. He got it back, made the call, it was expensive, I choked a little, then said "I'll take it." Never have I regretted it for a second.

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I probably have more Tarzan "stuff" than I do comics.

1930's Tarzan Tea Can from South America. Looks like maybe Hogarth art?

tarzanteacan1.jpg

tarzanteacan2.jpg

tarzanteacan3.jpg

Where else would we get a chance to see this? So cool. Thanks Bob!

1 minute ago, Ameri said:

Looks like 1957, but it's 1937. Sorry I don't have a back story about the check but a lot of checks have been sold. Here's a current listing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Edgar-Rice-Burroughs-Signed-Check-PSA-DNA-Autograph-Tarzan-Auto-Famous-Author/124136915112?hash=item1ce72300a8:g:1wsAAOSw-wVeg4Ck

Yeah, I put a question mark on the back of the 1957 because I thought it might have been a 3 too...

1 hour ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Here ya go. This is having the cover reattached by the top paper conservator in the US. Looking forward to getting it back in hand in a couple months.  

A9DE3DAD-8A3E-452C-9BC0-12C58AB621E8.jpeg

4445C779-B3D6-41DA-945D-8518DC45462B.gif.95296f12f559356180f9e15b84aebfe0.gif

1D6EB9A9-A54E-408A-A06D-D192D0A2F519.gif.cdf6f8dc09afe24f0f8f33d3c2f95566.gif

CE749B9A-C414-4D0F-A0D8-E0D40BF05A77.gif.d68a90d56809e2d22755a9a885f111f6.gif

9E0A4A00-ADC7-4651-827E-A96A2B6BB8EA.gif.1991865c4cc3a3a0663cd122d141cf58.gif

23 hours ago, N e r V said:

The Tip Top series has some great Tarzan covers but I’m old school and old enough to remember when this book was once revered with the likes of Action #1, Tec #27 and any number of other classic GA books.

Yes, indeed as it looks like the SS 20 Tarzan book finished up in the #11 position tied with about 10 other books in terms of the most valuable books in the first Overstreet Guide way back in 1970.  Top of guide for the book back then was set at $125 which was apparently tied with a few other then revered strip reprint books like Famous Funnies 1, Century of Comics 1, Feature Book 25 (i.e. Flash Gordon), Feature Book 26 (i.e. Prince Valiant), and Four Color 10 (i.e. Flash Gordon by Alex Raymond).  Looks like the most highly valued strip reprint book in that first Overstreet Price Guide was King Comics #1 at $130 which featured the first appearances of Flash Gordon, Popeye, Henry, and Mandrake the Magician. As a point of reference, Action 1 finished up in top spot at $300; with 'Tec 27 nipping on its heels at $275; while Marvel 1 and Supes 1 came in next with both of them tied at $250.   (thumbsu  :takeit:

Pretty clear that these strip reprint books haven't kept up with the super heroes in terms of ROI as a book like Four Color 10 was valued at $85 in Good condition back then and in the latest guide some almost 50 years later has rocketed all the way up to $88 in Good condition.  :(   Even sadder to note that it looks as though the current CL Auction just had this nicely presenting copy relative to grade of Four Color 10 in their auction on Monday and it sold for the "astronomical" price of $330 or at a discount of 12% to the current condition guide price of a whopping $374:  :(  :(

https://comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fdefault.asp%3FFocused%3D1%26pg%3D176%26x%3D45%26y%3D6%23Item_1404251&id=1404251&itemType=0

RAD34AF22020514_13101.jpg

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, indeed as it looks like the SS 20 Tarzan book finished up in the #11 position tied with about 10 other books in terms of the most valuable books in the first Overstreet Guide way back in 1970.  Top of guide for the book back then was set at $125 which was apparently tied with a few other then revered strip reprint books like Famous Funnies 1, Century of Comics 1, Feature Book 25 (i.e. Flash Gordon), Feature Book 26 (i.e. Prince Valiant), and Four Color 10 (i.e. Flash Gordon by Alex Raymond).  Looks like the most highly valued strip reprint book in that first Overstreet Price Guide was King Comics #1 at $130 which featured the first appearances of Flash Gordon, Popeye, Henry, and Mandrake the Magician. As a point of reference, Action 1 finished up in top spot at $300; with 'Tec 27 nipping on its heels at $275; while Marvel 1 and Supes 1 came in next with both of them tied at $250.   (thumbsu  :takeit:

Pretty clear that these strip reprint books haven't kept up with the super heroes in terms of ROI as a book like Four Color 10 was valued at $85 in Good condition back then and in the latest guide some almost 50 years later has rocketed all the way up to $88 in Good condition.  :(   Even sadder to note that it looks as though the current CL Auction just had this nicely presenting copy relative to grade of Four Color 10 in their auction on Monday and it sold for the "astronomical" price of $330 or at a discount of 12% to the current condition guide price of a whopping $374:  :(  :(

https://comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fdefault.asp%3FFocused%3D1%26pg%3D176%26x%3D45%26y%3D6%23Item_1404251&id=1404251&itemType=0

RAD34AF22020514_13101.jpg

Small world...

Uh, that copy of Four Color #10 on Clink is the copy I just won and posted in the GA thread...lol I’m pretty sure too that I did get it cheaply so call me lucky this time. I’ve seen copies offered for more than double that and even over 1k.

No worries though because regardless of the price paid or value it doesn’t change my appreciation of the book. You’re right though if you approach comics collecting from the investment standpoint things have certainly changed over time. I guess I’m lucky because I don’t collect or need to collect comics for investment purposes but for enjoyment. The fact that some of my books now have high values will only matter if I ever sell them anyway. Right now these days that Four Color #10 is just as rockin’ as looking at a pair of Tec’ #27’s in my book. 
Glad you liked and singled out my newest acquisition though...9_9

Edited by N e r V

10 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Small world...

Uh, that copy of Four Color #10 on Clink is the copy I just won and posted in the GA thread...lol I’m pretty sure too that I did get it cheaply so call me lucky this time. I’ve seen copies offered for more than double that and even over 1k.

No worries though because regardless of the price paid or value it doesn’t change my appreciation of the book. You’re right though if you approach comics collecting from the investment standpoint things have certainly changed over time. I guess I’m lucky because I don’t collect or need to collect comics for investment purposes but for enjoyment. The fact that some of my books now have high values will only matter if I ever sell them anyway. Right now these days that Four Color #10 is just as rockin’ as looking at a pair of Tec’ #27’s in my book. 

Glad you was the lucky winner of that copy there as it definitely presents much much nicer than just a 6.5 graded copy, plus it looks you you've got nice PQ and strong bold colors to go with it at a steal of a price.  :luhv:

I also feel the same way about books in my collection as I am a long term collector with books in my collection held from decades ago, but yet still surprised at times how much money coleectors are now willing to pay for them.  :whatthe:

Congrats to you on what is an absolutely stunning pickup and from my own POV, another much underappreciated historical book which collectors in this current marketplace seems to have forgotten about, and as a result, which gives real collectors like us the chance to pick them up at very reasonable prices.  :applause:

2 hours ago, N e r V said:

Small world...

Congrats, Nerv.  I have always liked this book.  I thik I got my copy from HA some time ago.  Never intended for it to be an investment purchase but I am a G Flash Gordon fan (via Alex Raymond and Buster Crabbe).

0805171356421.jpg

20 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

I think I have mentioned it before, but when Brian Peete originally showed the Central Valley books I was fortunate to be the first to see the Single Series. It was raw and he was going to get it graded. I told him that I wanted it and asked if he would let me know when it got back from CGC. No price was mentioned, though he did say it would be expensive. He got it back, made the call, it was expensive, I choked a little, then said "I'll take it." Never have I regretted it for a second.

Has Brian Peete ever sold a book where the buyer's reaction was not "it was expensive, I choked a little, then said 'I'll take it.' "?