• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

All Hail The Lord of the Jungle
3 3

108 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, tth2 said:

The Tarzan Sundays written and drawn by Hal Foster are HUGE.

Foster Tarzan OA 1935.06.23.jpg

And amazingly awesome!!! (worship)

I Used to not like the Maxon stuff so much (maybe because he was around two giants in art on the strip) but over time started picking out stuff I liked about him. This panel is an example of one I’d enjoy by him. He improved over time.

E33C3557-0ADC-4105-A69E-DDF5917CD144.thumb.jpeg.e807222fd0410a366a22d133e475e3b1.jpeg

Edited by N e r V

11 hours ago, telerites said:

Congrats, Nerv.  I have always liked this book.  I thik I got my copy from HA some time ago.  Never intended for it to be an investment purchase but I am a G Flash Gordon fan (via Alex Raymond and Buster Crabbe).

0805171356421.jpg

I am with you and Nerv. Love the book. I had always wanted a copy but they used to sell for a lot more than I wanted to pay. About three years ago I did a trade with an old time collector and picked up this pretty 7.0ish raw copy..

fourcolor10.jpg

Edited by MrBedrock

4 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

A little lineage on this beautiful book. Chuck brought it and #6 to Houston Con in 1977 along with a box of other Church books. I specifically remember the Marvel Mystery 24. I wish I had bought the Marvel but I didn't have anywhere near enough loot. Anyhow, a guy named David Hargis bought both of the Tarzans. For some reason I think he paid around $75 each for them. Around 1990 I bought them from David. Around 1998 or so I traded them to Chris Foss in some deal that I can't remember. He had them graded and consigned to Heritage which is where I assume you picked up the 5. So there you go...right back to the original source.

Thanks for the history! (thumbsu Now I have the complete chain of provenance all the way back to Edgar!  Unfortunately, I don't have the Church #6.  I do have a copy, but not the Church copy.

I remember when Foss was shopping them around on eBay or somewhere, because I remember talking to him about them during the early days of CGC.  I guess he never did find a buyer 

8 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

Celardo Sunday. Not in the same class as Foster or Hogarth fo shizzle. 

The figure work is weak but the compositions and scenery are outstanding.  Beautiful!

11 hours ago, tth2 said:

Tarzan Illustrated Book.jpg

This is not a 9.4 :sumo:

13 hours ago, tth2 said:

It's been suggested by some that I'm kind of into Tarzan...

It's been suggested by MANY that you're kind of into only uber high grade copies of books.  hm

If this is indeed true, can you please explain the following for us then:  ???

13 hours ago, tth2 said:

Tarzan Illustrated Book.jpg

lol     :takeit: