• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

9.4 and above prices

8 posts in this topic

The OCBPG only lists prices for 9.2s (and even then can be way off, as I'm aware that the last 2 sales of an Adventure Comics 332 (OCBPG 9.2 value $140) went for over 1k each 

As a buyer or a seller, how does someone estimate the worth of a comic that is graded 9.4, 9.6, 9.8 etc when there isn't a 'guide price'. Is it just a case of "think of a figure" ?

5 hours ago, speople said:

The OCBPG only lists prices for 9.2s (and even then can be way off, as I'm aware that the last 2 sales of an Adventure Comics 332 (OCBPG 9.2 value $140) went for over 1k each 

As a buyer or a seller, how does someone estimate the worth of a comic that is graded 9.4, 9.6, 9.8 etc when there isn't a 'guide price'. Is it just a case of "think of a figure" ?

Slabs or raw?  What price guide is OCBPG?   Overstreet? Comicspriceguide.com is 1 site which gives prices for every grade, raw or slabbed.  I don't think their slabbed guide is as good as GPA or gocollect.

Look at sold listings through eBay, Heritage, Comiclink or use resources like GoCollect/GPA to gauge a ballpark figure.  Sometimes you can get an idea when you look at similar type issues and what they have sold for recently.  For more obscure items, reach out to collectors who are more in the know on value associated with more niche items.  At the end of the day, values change and sometimes there will be outliers dependent on how badly collectors fighting over an auction want the book or its rarity.

3 hours ago, Keys_Collector said:

Look at sold listings through eBay, Heritage, Comiclink or use resources like GoCollect/GPA to gauge a ballpark figure.  Sometimes you can get an idea when you look at similar type issues and what they have sold for recently.  

Yup, this is the best advice.

7 hours ago, Keys_Collector said:

Look at sold listings through eBay, Heritage, Comiclink or use resources like GoCollect/GPA to gauge a ballpark figure.  Sometimes you can get an idea when you look at similar type issues and what they have sold for recently.  For more obscure items, reach out to collectors who are more in the know on value associated with more niche items.  At the end of the day, values change and sometimes there will be outliers dependent on how badly collectors fighting over an auction want the book or its rarity.

^^

They are worth however much one can sell them for. For common books gpa gocollect works. Overstreet is dead on for the few dealers shops that still use it. Love those guys. Overstreet has never been accurate though. For one the information in a brand new guide is already year and a half to 2 years old. Two they don't update it each year either. As far back as I can remember dealers would be complaining how off the guide is and they won't correct it even though they are so called advisors reporting this information. They are on a high 90 percent of the time, but things they miss on are huge misses for sellers. I bought numerous nyx 3 bat 12 when they were 100 and $200 dollar books for $5 because overstreet didn't even have them listed as a 1st appearance or years later they had them extremely under valued.

overstreet is useful to me for seeing what books of a run are broke out from the norm. As far as their pricing it isn't all that valuable.

Keys are very far off, and valueless books are not worth $3.00 in NM.

As someone who is pretty new to this but has been looking to add to my small slabbed collection, I find eBay's completed sales to be the most helpful. It will help provide a bottom and ceiling for a book based on date. I use GoCollect just to see if a book I have an eye on might be had for a good price and that seems helpful as a general guide. My issue with Comiclink is that they keep sold items up for so long that it's hard to tell if a price sold is reliable at any point in time. Just a buyer's perpsective.