• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shipping OA to “Russian Federation” buyer on EBay?

21 posts in this topic

I wouldn't want to do it.  However, if you decide to, I would use the eBay international shipping program where you basically send it to a FedEx facility that then forwards the item for you to the intended country.  If you can get anything close to what you want from the US or Canada, that seems like a better bet.

I guess the way I'd approach it is I would ask them to provide OA specific references.    (Not just ebay feedback).    A well known dealer or collector that will vouch for them.

Absent that I might pass, but with in place, well, why not.   

5 minutes ago, Stevemmg said:

I wouldn't want to do it.  However, if you decide to, I would use the eBay international shipping program where you basically send it to a FedEx facility that then forwards the item for you to the intended country.  If you can get anything close to what you want from the US or Canada, that seems like a better bet.

They have it set up to send to the US hub and then off to Russia. Am I responsible for the item once it leaves the US? Buyers has been on ebay since 2016 with several hundred positive reviews and no negative.......but Russia. 

In order to do that you must have already listed it as part of the Global Shipping Program before a bid or offer was made.  If an offer has yet to be made then make sure you are enrolled in Global Shipping Program. 

However that is a moot point.

The last I checked, the eBay Global Shipping Program no longer offers seller protection with sales to Russia.   Not even eBay itself trusts Russia.   That should tell you what you need to know right there. 

Edited by Buzzetta

53 minutes ago, Blastaar said:

I have an item listed on the bay that is closed to shipping outside the US and Canada. I received a decent offer from a buyer listed from the “Russian Federation”. Should I run for z hills?

8E2A8CDE-4F46-4962-BA27-F383F8BB10A7.gif.65bcdedbba8acccde0bad0332aaaa434.gif

Run for the hills.

46 minutes ago, Stevemmg said:

eBay international shipping program will quote a low price for uninsured international first class for items under $400.  When you fill out the customs form over $400, you'd have to go up a steep price tier shipping cost for international priority insured.  Not worth the hassle.

Don't buy the hype around the Global Shipping Program and its supposed seller protections. I lost a 900 dollar item to a scammer in Australia this way. Short story is I sold 4 books for 900, he said only 2 were in the box when it arrived through GSP. So either he is lying or the books were repacked by GSP and two were taken. That is unlikely. Regardless, they refused to cover it. Ebay wanted me to paypal him an outrageous sum of money for return shipping, a sum determined by the buyer himself who was clearly scamming me. Because I had since learned this buyer would return a box of bricks to me I didn't do this. eBay screwed me, GSP screwed me, Paypal screwed me. Be warned. 

Edited by cstojano

1 hour ago, cstojano said:

Don't buy the hype around the Global Shipping Program and its supposed seller protections. I lost a 900 dollar item to a scammer in Australia this way. Short story is I sold 4 books for 900, he said only 2 were in the box when it arrived through GSP. So either he is lying or the books were repacked by GSP and two were taken. That is unlikely. Regardless, they refused to cover it. Ebay wanted me to paypal him an outrageous sum of money for return shipping, a sum determined by the buyer himself who was clearly scamming me. Because I had since learned this buyer would return a box of bricks to me I didn't do this. eBay screwed me, GSP screwed me, Paypal screwed me. Be warned. 

They covered me for a $250 piece of jewelry to "Canadia" 

They also covered me for a $25? $30? $35? GI Joe figure to China.

So... 

I buy into the hype. 

The problem with eBay and selling international isn't just the fraud.  I had a recent legitimate sale to a legitimate customer who waited 2 months for a parcel sent via USPS to the UK, so not even a 3rd world country or a communist regime, and he grew impatient despite the proof of mailing, a USPS tracking status update (showing the parcel was en route but stalled at every hub and not delivered yet.

So, he filed a "request for refund" without consulting with me.  I provided evidence of mailing, tracking information, tracking status updates as well as the USPS disclaimer on their own website disclaiming the delays in delivery service due to Covid-19.

It doesn't matter.

In the wisdom of eBay, they automatically side with the buyer 98% of the time, as in this case.  Issued him a full refund including the exorbitant shipping cost and closed the case.  So, I'm out the product, and obviously out the money, spend money to send an item out as if it basically was a free gift because I'm certain the item will arrive, but am almost as certain the buyer will accept the item, won't reach out to me to repay me or send it back, nor will there be any way to recoup my losses. 

FYI - If a buyer does do this to you and you're forced to give a refund, I believe you can protest the case and if the item delivers within 30 days of the claim, you can petition for a refund/repayment under the eBay seller's protection.

International customers are not worth dealing with quite frankly.  I'd only do it off-line (not on eBay) and insist my terms are Pay Pal personal or a payment system where the buyer has zero recourse to force a refund, call their credit card processor and get a charge-back or any financial risk whatsoever on my side.

41 minutes ago, BeholdersEye said:

The problem with eBay and selling international isn't just the fraud.  I had a recent legitimate sale to a legitimate customer who waited 2 months for a parcel sent via USPS to the UK, so not even a 3rd world country or a communist regime, and he grew impatient despite the proof of mailing, a USPS tracking status update (showing the parcel was en route but stalled at every hub and not delivered yet.

So, he filed a "request for refund" without consulting with me.  I provided evidence of mailing, tracking information, tracking status updates as well as the USPS disclaimer on their own website disclaiming the delays in delivery service due to Covid-19.

It doesn't matter.

In the wisdom of eBay, they automatically side with the buyer 98% of the time, as in this case.  Issued him a full refund including the exorbitant shipping cost and closed the case.  So, I'm out the product, and obviously out the money, spend money to send an item out as if it basically was a free gift because I'm certain the item will arrive, but am almost as certain the buyer will accept the item, won't reach out to me to repay me or send it back, nor will there be any way to recoup my losses. 

FYI - If a buyer does do this to you and you're forced to give a refund, I believe you can protest the case and if the item delivers within 30 days of the claim, you can petition for a refund/repayment under the eBay seller's protection.

International customers are not worth dealing with quite frankly.  I'd only do it off-line (not on eBay) and insist my terms are Pay Pal personal or a payment system where the buyer has zero recourse to force a refund, call their credit card processor and get a charge-back or any financial risk whatsoever on my side.

Paypal has apparently updated their TOS removing seller protections even further for buyers. The link they emailed to me doesn't actually work (surprise) but as I understand they will no longer cover sellers for sales from Facebook or other privately negotiated deals. 

Edited by cstojano

17 minutes ago, BeholdersEye said:

It doesn't matter.

If he's a "legitimate customer", he should have no problem flipping you back the $ once his package arrives...

6 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

In order to do that you must have already listed it as part of the Global Shipping Program before a bid or offer was made.  If an offer has yet to be made then make sure you are enrolled in Global Shipping Program. 

However that is a moot point.

The last I checked, the eBay Global Shipping Program no longer offers seller protection with sales to Russia.   Not even eBay itself trusts Russia.   That should tell you what you need to know right there. 

The world doesn't trust Russia...

4 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

The world doesn't trust Russia...

Unfortunately, people who have more important roles than you and I do not fully grasp that.  

Edited by Buzzetta

17 hours ago, Blastaar said:

I have an item listed on the bay that is closed to shipping outside the US and Canada. I received a decent offer from a buyer listed from the “Russian Federation”. Should I run for z hills?

Oleg, is that you? :flipbait:

12 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

If he's a "legitimate customer", he should have no problem flipping you back the $ once his package arrives...

I'd say legitimate in that his original intentions were to admirable and honest, but his lack of communication and process leads me to believe he's a typical person who doesn't see anything wrong with a "crime of opportunity" - - the same type who would steal something left unattended if they felt they could get away with it, such as finding a wallet on the street with ID and taking the money out and sticking it in their pocket without guilt. 

35 minutes ago, BeholdersEye said:

I'd say legitimate in that his original intentions were to admirable and honest, but his lack of communication and process leads me to believe he's a typical person who doesn't see anything wrong with a "crime of opportunity" - - the same type who would steal something left unattended if they felt they could get away with it, such as finding a wallet on the street with ID and taking the money out and sticking it in their pocket without guilt. 

Well, if it does eventually show up as delivered, I'd flip him an email and ask him to send you the $ he got from eBay or PayPal or wherever it was.  If he doesn't comply - out him here...

22 hours ago, Blastaar said:

8E2A8CDE-4F46-4962-BA27-F383F8BB10A7.gif.65bcdedbba8acccde0bad0332aaaa434.gif

There's more comics fans in Russia than you might think, but less then there should be, considering how popular the MCU is there.