• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blue Hologram - Fatal Attractions - Excalibur #71 ???
2 2

109 posts in this topic

I have seen that shattered look before on some.  Different degrees, some a lot, some just a smaller area like a corner.  Again, a manufacturing thing.  If I had to pick a lane, I think there are less of those than the blue holos.  I have seen one with both the shattered effect and a lot of blue.

2 hours ago, First Upgrade said:

BLACK HOLO, no image visible, no green, no blue, no yellow or any other color...CGC notes "Distorted Hologram"...this one will be auctioned next week via MCS (My Comic Shop)...

5105675 (1).jpg

That's not a bad looking 5.5 either :)

Best of Luck!

On 7/28/2020 at 2:18 PM, Lightning55 said:

I have seen that shattered look before on some.  Different degrees, some a lot, some just a smaller area like a corner.  Again, a manufacturing thing.  If I had to pick a lane, I think there are less of those than the blue holos.  I have seen one with both the shattered effect and a lot of blue.

xforce25f.thumb.jpg.4b84e33a87450eb0957d24dd036293fa.jpg

As many have stated there are many different iterations of the errors from blue/green , blue , cracked, and I have one that the holo was actually inverted and placed upside down. Although mine is on the Xmen 25.

20200702_040521.jpg

20200702_035834.jpg

10 hours ago, First Upgrade said:

BLACK HOLO, no image visible, no green, no blue, no yellow or any other color...CGC notes "Distorted Hologram"...this one will be auctioned next week via MCS (My Comic Shop)...

5105675 (1).jpg

Was the grade of 5.5 determined primarily due to the hologram error?

On 7/26/2020 at 10:59 PM, fastballspecial said:

We will have to disgree there. Even a partial blue is very difficult to find.

Ive had in my hand maybe 15 to 20 blue/green holograms.
Maybe 10 or so solid blue holograms over the years
and I have never seen a black one yet. 

Don't let anyone tell you anything different. This is years of experience
looking for them in the field. 

So I have been hunting for these for years and true blues are much harder to find. I see partials allll the time.  I still buy them but an all deep blue is much more rare. I have never seen a black one either or an upside down one but I think they exist.

28 minutes ago, MrWeen said:

So I have been hunting for these for years and true blues are much harder to find. I see partials allll the time.  I still buy them but an all deep blue is much more rare. I have never seen a black one either or an upside down one but I think they exist.

The few previous posts show they do exist . I actually got the upside down on in a lot of other books and it sat in my box unnoticed for a while.  Then when I saw some of the prices for the blue errors I remembered getting a 25 in that lot , but couldn't remember what color holo or condition , just that I had one. Even then at first I thought nope not an error, but upon closer inspection I realized that the image was flipped.  Which wasn't that long ago. It sat in my box for a few years and considering the way it was just thrown in that original lot , I do not believe the original seller realized it either. The fact this one made it out makes me believe there likely are more out there.

Just now, First Upgrade said:

No. This example had moderate amounts of paper loss along the spine & edges.

The other damage to the book suggest to me that the poor care of the book is probably what resulted in the change to the hologram as well. All of the cracked holograms, too, look like damage rather than some production error.

51 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

The other damage to the book suggest to me that the poor care of the book is probably what resulted in the change to the hologram as well. All of the cracked holograms, too, look like damage rather than some production error.

I have several of each, the full blue, partial blue, blue/green, the shattered versions, even an orange-red one.  All are in superb condition, minimum vf, most nm.  I don't think the care of the book has anything to do with the hologram situation.  It was likely produced that way (however they make them), and glued on as usual.

On the shattered holograms, the effect is built in to the image.  There are no actual interruptions in the surface of the hologram, smooth, shiny, and consistent.

12 hours ago, Lightning55 said:

I have several of each, the full blue, partial blue, blue/green, the shattered versions, even an orange-red one.  All are in superb condition, minimum vf, most nm.  I don't think the care of the book has anything to do with the hologram situation.  It was likely produced that way (however they make them), and glued on as usual.

On the shattered holograms, the effect is built in to the image.  There are no actual interruptions in the surface of the hologram, smooth, shiny, and consistent.

I've seen it demonstrated (can't remember where) that someone was able to recreate the color change using heat.

As far as the shatter-effect is concerned, I believe the holograms are thin pieces of layered films under the plastic cover. Which may mean the breaks are internal and not sensed by touch.

All conjecture - I'm not an expert in this field.

On 7/31/2020 at 12:46 PM, Lightning55 said:

So what is the difference between partial blue, and blue/green?

17 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Whats really neat is the partials blues can look great or look like .

It just depends how the color blends. I can see buyers like one hologram partial
over another easily just on the look.

Agreed again lol I like the blues and blacks, someone mentioned to me that it takes something like "3" colors to make the hologram work. CGC has also been mentioned to put the "distorted hologram" on "green" holograms, which is because as I understand still only 1 color so it is "distorted" I guess lol 

Making a decision in my mind, that I like the "look" of the blues and blacks preferably over the green :insane: 

.... side note.... while the distorted are rare, the green ones I find are less available, possibly because the blue/black is more obvious but idk :)