• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blue Hologram - Fatal Attractions - Excalibur #71 ???
2 2

109 posts in this topic

2 more additions to the family today. I thought one of these was more of a partial Blue like my others, but when I got it home it looks like more of a blue/green (?) Maybe it is a partial blue, just not very much blue at all. Oh well, I still can't believe I found this mostly Black Wolvie at the same time. 

20200904_171124.jpg

My favorite thing about the mutant books around this time (this crossover, Deadpool Circle Chase, Sabretooth, etc.) is that we can pinpoint this time as when they started using desktop publishing software to lay out the covers. I say that because the use of too many fonts (and ones commonly that came pre-installed on new computers) and the bad scaling reeks of "look what we can do!" rather than a knowledge of what makes for good design.

55 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I would not be surprised if we find out in time that they all just shift color with time and exposure.

If that were true, then wouldn't they all have shifted to the same color. Why would some still be green and others black?

1 hour ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I would not be surprised if we find out in time that they all just shift color with time and exposure.

That might be a bit of an overstatement, but I do still believe they can be altered. I would never pay a premium for a damaged/defective hologram.

11 hours ago, Marveldood said:

If that were true, then wouldn't they all have shifted to the same color. Why would some still be green and others black?

Just like with any other comic, some are preserved better than others. Some are exposure to more light or heat. Others are exposed to more moisture. Just saying that I wouldn't be surprised if in the long run, they all shift in that direction.

1 hour ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Just like with any other comic, some are preserved better than others. Some are exposure to more light or heat. Others are exposed to more moisture. Just saying that I wouldn't be surprised if in the long run, they all shift in that direction.

The only problem with that is that there are  slabbed 9.8's out there with just about every color variation. So if this light/heat/exposure/moisture was strong enough to affect a hologram that much, then the cover and pages in these books should also show discoloration and damage, just as much, if not more so than the hologram on their covers. Yet they get 9.8 grades. 🤔

It’s a weird technology, It’s no surprise that as time passes we see more variations, it’s because more time passes. I had a sticker book in the early 80s, the hologram stickers had all shifted blue black by the time I found it again In the early 2010s. Wish I took pics. The scratch and sniffs still smelled wonderful though, they should have done like cables armpit scratch and sniffs :)

17 minutes ago, shiverbones said:

It’s a weird technology, It’s no surprise that as time passes we see more variations, it’s because more time passes. I had a sticker book in the early 80s, the hologram stickers had all shifted blue black by the time I found it again In the early 2010s. Wish I took pics. The scratch and sniffs still smelled wonderful though, they should have done like cables armpit scratch and sniffs :)

Is it possible we see more variations now because of current technology? If these variations existed back in 1993, the only way we would have known about them is if Wizard magazine published something about them. But because of the internet, we have now been made privy to anything and everything, almost instantly, for the past 2 decades. So maybe these variations existed in '93, but there was no way to get the word out because...no such thing as internet.

4 hours ago, shiverbones said:

I fogot to ask: did all of your sticker holograms shift, or did only some of them shift color? If they all shifted color, did they all shift to the same color?

Hi everyone!

So I recently bought this X-Men #25 out of a $1 bin because of the blue hologram oddity. My first thought was maybe it was moisture that got into the hologram. But  the rest of the comic book is absolutely clean and the pages are white and show no signs of moisture or water damage. I've looked at this hologram from various angles and cannot figure it out. My sister said it looked like blue ink spilled in there.

I've been reading this thread and have seen some really bizarre (yet very interesting) examples of these holograms having different oddities. So I was wondering what you all thought of this one. hm

Oh and funny enough, when I bought it I didn't realize it was a Newsstand issue until I got home.

X-men25.jpg

Xmen25_2.jpg

X-men25_3.jpg

X-men25_back.jpg

2 hours ago, Twinvirgos said:

Hi everyone!

So I recently bought this X-Men #25 out of a $1 bin because of the blue hologram oddity. My first thought was maybe it was moisture that got into the hologram. But  the rest of the comic book is absolutely clean and the pages are white and show no signs of moisture or water damage. I've looked at this hologram from various angles and cannot figure it out. My sister said it looked like blue ink spilled in there.

I've been reading this thread and have seen some really bizarre (yet very interesting) examples of these holograms having different oddities. So I was wondering what you all thought of this one. hm

Oh and funny enough, when I bought it I didn't realize it was a Newsstand issue until I got home.

X-men25.jpg

Xmen25_2.jpg

X-men25_3.jpg

X-men25_back.jpg

I have had one like this before if I find the pic I will post it.