• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blue Hologram - Fatal Attractions - Excalibur #71 ???
2 2

109 posts in this topic

I was digging through the 50 cent bins in my LCS today and noticed something unusual about this Excalibur #71. It reminded me of the pics I'd seen of the Blue Hologram error Wolverine #75 and X-Men #25 from the same event. Since I already own the full Fatal Attractions set at home, I figured I would just buy it (it was only 50 cents) and compare it to the others at home. The hologram does appear different shades of blue from most angles but still retains a full 3D effect. I don't see anything about this blue hologram error on GoCollect or anywhere else for this issue, so am I just imagining this, or what's really going on? I guess I'm looking for some second opinions based on these pictures I took to compare to my other books.

20200702_171107.jpg

20200703_003622.jpg

20200702_165220.jpg

20200702_170043.jpg

20200703_003359.jpg

20200702_162825.jpg

20200702_172442.jpg

20200704_172217.jpg

Edited by Marveldood
Added 1 pic

There are some variations in the holograms on most of the Fatal Attractions issues.  They are supposed to all be an amber color, but you can see a lot of different tints to them - green, blue/green, blue, even a sort of rose color on X-Men 25.  The deep blue on Wolverine 75 is a recognized variant, usually noted as "Distorted Hologram".

You have an almost completely blue variant very nice.
They are pretty hard to find. The Wolverine tends to be the hardest for me.
I think I have found maybe 2 to 3 copies of each and finding a completely Blue one is 
very hard. 

Collectors like the blue and the Blue/Green variants.  We have had discussion on how
they were made, but no one can replicate it yet. 

On 7/13/2020 at 5:41 PM, Marveldood said:

I think this should also be a recognized variant.

20200710_221950.jpg

Is "variant" really the proper descriptor here?  To me, a variant indicates that the publisher has intentionally released a separate copy.  But there doesn't seem to be any accounts of Marvel doing such a thing.  Instead, this sounds like a production flaw with the hologram sheets.

http://www.recalledcomics.com/Wolverine75HologramErrors.php

....... I've attempted to put together a whole set, only have the 1st appearances though ...... 1st Exodus X-factor 92, and the 2 Wolverine with the ADAMANTIUM removal....

I've missed the Excalibur, ordered one that I was positive was one, but Mercari seller didn't ship....

also the Cable one, and perhaps there is another, help me Obi Wan Kanobi! (thumbsu 

On 7/24/2020 at 11:37 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

....... I've attempted to put together a whole set, only have the 1st appearances though ...... 1st Exodus X-factor 92, and the 2 Wolverine with the ADAMANTIUM removal....

I've missed the Excalibur, ordered one that I was positive was one, but Mercari seller didn't ship....

also the Cable one, and perhaps there is another, help me Obi Wan Kanobi! (thumbsu 

You're halfway there! 

15 hours ago, MrWeen said:

For these to really matter the hologram needs to be all blue.  It is pretty common to find them partially blue. 

We will have to disgree there. Even a partial blue is very difficult to find.

Ive had in my hand maybe 15 to 20 blue/green holograms.
Maybe 10 or so solid blue holograms over the years
and I have never seen a black one yet. 

Don't let anyone tell you anything different. This is years of experience
looking for them in the field. 

Edited by fastballspecial

I would agree with @fastballspecial.  My experience is similar - it's not a common thing, a small percentage.  It's so uncommon that the average collector is not even aware that differences exist.  Of course, it may be that if they knew, they wouldn't care.  That is up to the individual. 

Any value will be determined by what level of interest there is compared to how many are available, just like any collectible.  It gets almost no publicity, so not surprising that many are unaware of it.

14 minutes ago, gradejunky said:

I have a couple partial blue to solid blue holo's for some of these, but off the top of my head not sure which ones.  I see a bunch of greens.  These were supposed to be green or amber?

Yes that is correct those are the common colors.

I even have a cracked Hologram that I have no idea how it happened, but I thought it was too cool 
not to keep. (The book itself looks untouched for the most part.)

I really enjoy looking for them because its a neat oddity, but my % of success is really low there are not
a lot of these out there OR big money hasn't brought them out yet which it tends to do.

With that large of prints run I am sure the % is higher, but until they realize big money they will just be a 
neat little production flaw until someone proves otherwise.