• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shaken Case Syndrome/Fraud Possible??

17 posts in this topic

I recently had a copy of Thor 337 9.8 returned two times on Ebay from 2 different buyers.  The first buyer returned it because of newton rings and nothing else. 

The second buyer pointed out all the flaws in the book and basically accused me of fraud, or to cover his bases, also shaken case syndrome.  

I received the book back today and noticed that indeed there was a small little fleck of the cover that appeared to be missing when I compared it to my original photos.

So I have a mystery here:  The condition of the book does appear different than it was in the original photo. 

It's made two round trip excursions so I haven't had the book with me the whole time.

I didn't really do a thorough inspection when I got it back the first time.  

Is it possible one of my buyers did indeed, somehow switch books on me and put it in back in its holder?

Is shaken case syndrome something that could make a little fleck appear?

I'm really at a loss here and any help would be appreciated.   

If they knew how to switch books out undetectable they would probably being doing it with more expensive books. If you have a good memory or took good pics you can compare and see if it the same book. Most 9.8s have some spine tics or wear even if tiny and don't break color. Look at bindery tears fuzz. Inner well seal. 

56 minutes ago, Myowncollector said:

If they knew how to switch books out undetectable they would probably being doing it with more expensive books. If you have a good memory or took good pics you can compare and see if it the same book. Most 9.8s have some spine tics or wear even if tiny and don't break color. Look at bindery tears fuzz. Inner well seal. 

Well it's clear on the right side of the book in my first photo the edge was crisp and now there appears to be a  little piece missing.  I've compared the 2 photos.  I don't understand it.  But I've been trying to compare other smaller flaws so far with no conclusion. 

Edited by Tafkap
add

8 minutes ago, Tafkap said:

Well it's clear on the right side of the book in my first photo the edge was crisp and now there appears to be a  little piece missing.  I've compared the 2 photos.  I don't understand it.  But I've been trying to compare other smaller flaws so far with no conclusion. 

What are the ebay user names of the 2 buyers so I can block them. Don't like dealing with picky people, especially the newton rings buyer.

5 minutes ago, Myowncollector said:

What are the ebay user names of the 2 buyers so I can block them. Don't like dealing with picky people, especially the newton rings buyer.

ultra_tech_retro, ziazmere1, they both have 100 percent positive.  The second guy made a point of getting Ebay to refund his $20.00 shipping so I'm that too.

I'm really at a loss however.  Could a shaken case make a little piece come off from the cover?  Or make a hidden defect visible?

Fell off or got folded? I don't know what is possible. Most my slabs the inner well or book moves around. I secure my slabs during shipping so the don't move at all. Inner well can still move though. It's a rare thing though because I have owned thousands of slabs and never had the staple tears of shaken syndrome. 

5 minutes ago, Myowncollector said:

Fell off or got folded? I don't know what is possible. Most my slabs the inner well or book moves around. I secure my slabs during shipping so the don't move at all. Inner well can still move though. It's a rare thing though because I have owned thousands of slabs and never had the staple tears of shaken syndrome. 

Well I'm still having a hard time believing it happened because I  pack very secure inside a box.  I did not tell the Post Office it was fragile however.  Do you do that?  

9 minutes ago, Tafkap said:

Well I'm still having a hard time believing it happened because I  pack very secure inside a box.  I did not tell the Post Office it was fragile however.  Do you do that?  

Nah. I doubt they care if it is fragile or not. Well I usually just toss packages because it easier then carrying them over, oh wait this one is fragile, I will be careful with it. 

21 minutes ago, Myowncollector said:

Nah. I doubt they care if it is fragile or not. Well I usually just toss packages because it easier then carrying them over, oh wait this one is fragile, I will be careful with it. 

I would imagine so. 

Well when I showed the 9.8 today to a comic book owner he also didn't think it looked like a 9.8; this was the same guy who helped me pick out the book in the first place to submit it. 

So either it's some incredible bad luck and it did get shook, or maybe one of the two buyers took out some rage and shook it to spite me for some reason, or it was switched? 

None of them are really sticking out for me as the answer.  Very frustrating.  Oh well.  

It is not possible to change the book without evidence of tampering so not fraud.  It is Shaken Comic Syndrome and unfortunately happens quite often with shipping of slabs.  Looks like edge got folded, not piece missing.  You might try to have it pressed out.  You might not or not retain the 9.8 grade or sell as is.

19 minutes ago, spidermanbeyond said:

It is not possible to change the book without evidence of tampering so not fraud.  It is Shaken Comic Syndrome and unfortunately happens quite often with shipping of slabs.  Looks like edge got folded, not piece missing.  You might try to have it pressed out.  You might not or not retain the 9.8 grade or sell as is.

Thanks. 

7 minutes ago, Myowncollector said:

You can contact grading company see what they are willing to do for you. Or take great photos so it is clearly shown and eventually someone who buys the grade on the label will come along and be thrilled to have it. 

Well actually I took close up photos of it and sold it within an hour of it being back on Ebay today.  Sent it out today.  So we'll see what happens....  I was actually thinking about taking it down and bam...sold before I even had time to think about it.

Edited by Tafkap
add

6 hours ago, Tafkap said:

Well actually I took close up photos of it and sold it within an hour of it being back on Ebay today.  Sent it out today.  So we'll see what happens....  I was actually thinking about taking it down and bam...sold before I even had time to think about it.

I'm glad you had a satisfactory ending to this story. Here's hoping there isn't an epilogue...  :grin: