• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your favorite idealism covers...
2 2

70 posts in this topic

I'm starting this thread on July 4th, but it could just as easily be any other date known for the celebration of freedom, independence or the principles folks identify with anniversaries for national celebration.  

Basically, this is just an excuse for a comic book spirit thread without all the fireworks or endorsing one brand of chauvinism over another.  Here's one of my favorite idealism covers just to get the ball rolling...

dd07a1ae-8868-4d5d-acec-efa943736170_zpsf9pymtyj.jpg.76d01b599cd3fae1cc76ab639276afda.jpg

This one is pretty self-explanatory.  I'm not sure Frankenstein is feeling the spirit though.  hm

This is another favorite of mine.  It is full-bore patriotism, but not jingoistic.  This cover, perhaps prophetically, dealt directly with the infiltration of saboteurs before we were at war with Japan.  The ironic cover date was Dec. 1941, but the street date was Oct. 3, 1941, over two months prior to Pearl Harbor...

716ec883-a171-4eca-8a71-1c57b3b13b2f_zpsgsvam9p0.jpg.06c3ee64044ac70497c854ce12bbe66e.jpg

22 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Was going to play but I'm all out of "idealism" this year Cat...:sorry:

Don’t give up.  I’d prescribe taking the correct vitamins. Large doses of irony are required to get through the ongoing zombie apocalypse unscathed.

Alternatively, I’d recommend what Freewheelin’ Franklin advised for getting through these troubled times.  I’m sure that you’re familiar with the quote. (thumbsu

20200705_043344.jpg\\

When I first saw this cover, I was kind of surprised.  It looked to be a bold stand against McCarthyism during the height of the fever by a comic book of all things!  

Finally got it, and it wasn't quite what I imagined.  Not a bad story by EC standards, just, not what I imagined.  More a shocking twist rather than social commentary.  

Edited by waaaghboss