• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver Age Sub-Mariner comics & appearances
6 6

470 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Frisco Larson said:

That's AWESOME that you were amazed by it and looked back to the Golden Age!!! I'd like to believe I'd have been the exact same way. I mean, something like that eventually DID happen for me, but I bought Bronze age off the spinner rack, so I had no knowledge of the Golden Age at all, barely any of the Silver Age even. 

Yeah, that's part of the wonder in discovering comics when you become a fan.  It's a great experience.

6 minutes ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

I bought this one at the end of March.  It’s my oldest Subby appearance.  I freaked out at the beginning of the pandemic and bought it on credit.  I wanted to cross off “Hold a Timely #1 in my hands” on my bucket list in case I died hooked up to a ventilator.  Maybe I should start a thread called “All the cool expensive stuff we bought because we didn’t think we would live to 2021”?

Human Torch #01 a.jpg

I "liked" the book, not the anxiety that you felt. Hey, at least you made a great choice in your purchase and not a lifetime supply of toilet paper!!!!!    lol

Just now, Frisco Larson said:

I "liked" the book, not the anxiety that you felt. Hey, at least you made a great choice in your purchase and not a lifetime supply of toilet paper!!!!!    lol

My Mom would be glad to know I have my priorities straight.  I’m actually glad I bought the Torch comic and have no regrets.  It will be paid off after my eBay auctions end on Tues night.

I liked Subby well enough, but I was never a huge fan. Maybe it's the way he talked ... never a big Thor guy, either. Anyways, I knew enough about Subby to get the gist of his history. One thing I don't know, and maybe this makes me a pervert for asking, but did Sue and Namor ever hook up?

2 minutes ago, Gaard said:

I liked Subby well enough, but I was never a huge fan. Maybe it's the way he talked ... never a big Thor guy, either. Anyways, I knew enough about Subby to get the gist of his history. One thing I don't know, and maybe this makes me a pervert for asking, but did Sue and Namor ever hook up?

Nope.  I always wondered how Sue could find him attractive?

Marvel Comics #077 (9.4).jpg

4 minutes ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

Nope.  I always wondered how Sue could find him attractive?

Marvel Comics #077 (9.4).jpg

My least favorite cover in the run! I owned a copy, but only a mid grade one …. I refused to spend REAL money on it!   :sumo:  No disrespect to the owner of this fine comic.  :foryou:

12 minutes ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

I think the Atlas stuff is kind of Silver Age.  It’s around the time of Barry Allen’s 1st appearance.  What do you think?

The last issue (#42) was cover dated Oct 1955 as I recall, so technically still Golden Age by society's standards. However, personally I think they look and feel much more like Silver Age than Golden Age. They're the same size as Silver books, page counts are the same too. You'd never mistake a mid 50s Atlas book for an early Timely. So I say there's enough there to be debatable. More Silver than Gold in my eyes.  (thumbsu

Edited by Frisco Larson

2 hours ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

Just bought this one last month.  I’m a little confused by the cover though because:

1.). Namora can break chains, so rope shouldn’t be an issue

2.). Namora can fly, so who cares if she’s being dangled over a cliff

Sub-Mariner Comics #34 a.jpg

Yeah, that's always be a bit of a mystery to me too. The Atlas Era Masterwork credits Carl Burgos as cover artist with an asterisk next to his name, meaning that they aren't positive but that's their best guess. Odds are that he wasn't COMPLETELY up to speed on Namora's particular skill set or specific features. It IS her, based on some costume changes visible during the Atlas era, but she appears to not have her ankle wings and has lost her belt with the big "N" buckle that we find on the interior pages. No panel depicted on the cover appears in this or any surrounding Sub-Mariner issue. If I had to guess why the ropes are holding her, I'd guess that maybe she's been out of the water for too long and has been substantially weakened by that. Just a guess. 

9 minutes ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

Ahh.  So that’s why CGC didn’t put who the cover artist was.  Thanks.

i have a reprint of an old Dr Fate comic where the writer forgets the character can fly.  He gets captured by a trap door in the floor.  Highly original.

Well these WERE just supposed to be for kids, so they likely never DREAMED that all these years later, we'd all be geeking out on them the way we do. There's an Amazing Spider-Man issue in the 20s numbering where Stan forgets Liz's last name!!! You'd have thought be THAT point that he'd have had that down in his sleep!  lol  Fun stuff for us to find nowadays!!!