• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC Whitman Variants - A History of Brave and the Bold Multi-Packs!

22 posts in this topic

51 minutes ago, Warlord said:

Warlord -- You continue to amaze me with your collecting accomplishments.  Congrats on these recent finds!

Here's a  another goal for you.... obtain every single of Warlord comic books that contain the Mark Jewelers insert.   That one might take you 10 years too... lol.

Some men climb the highest mountains, some men swim the longest distances, some men put together insanely difficult runs of obscure books.

I prefer to sit on my couch and read their exploits.

Congrats on accomplishing what you set out to do. 

What's next?

Edited by shadroch

That is just amazing.  I consider myself lucky just to have all the Superboy/Legion and LSH issues outside the bags, much less in them!

Has anybody seen ANY of the June 1980 issues in a bag?  Given their weird and limited distribution, I wonder if they got out some other way.  No idea what that would be, though...

2 hours ago, Cpt Kirk said:

Warlord -- You continue to amaze me with your collecting accomplishments.  Congrats on these recent finds!

Here's a  another goal for you.... obtain every single of Warlord comic books that contain the Mark Jewelers insert.   That one might take you 10 years too... lol.

hm

Maybe I'll put that on the to-do list, after I've finished my other impossible goals!

1 hour ago, shadroch said:

Some men climb the highest mountains, some men swim the longest distances, some men put together insanely difficult runs of obscure books.

What's next?

Thank you, but I'm not done.  I want *every* DC Whitman variant still sealed in a multipack, but I have only roughly 100 (I need to count).  This is just a milestone along the way.  As noted, I'm only one Wonder Woman comic away from having all of those identified.   Actually @epowe10097 might have it... an image on the old STL site showed a pack that I often imagined would contain three consecutive Wonder Woman comics and if so would include the one I'm missing, but I don't have any info about the contents or a scan of the other side of this Wonder Woman #262.  Recently upon closer examination I think it's one DC Whitman and there's a Gold Key Whitman behind it, making it one of those oddball mixed packs.  If epowe would show up and share the other scan or notes about the contents that would be awesome. What's everyone guess about what's in this pack?

1415925932_dcwhitman3packWonderWoman262-f.jpg.e6d5eb822c7be89d266aa1dc3a6ccf1a.jpg

1 hour ago, shadroch said:

What's next?

Marvel Whitmans!  Got them all, working on the multipacks... :ohnoez:

1 hour ago, OtherEric said:

That is just amazing.  I consider myself lucky just to have all the Superboy/Legion and LSH issues outside the bags, much less in them!

Has anybody seen ANY of the June 1980 issues in a bag?  Given their weird and limited distribution, I wonder if they got out some other way.  No idea what that would be, though...

I've not seen any hint of the June 1980 issues in a multipack.  If they show up, I doubt I could afford to add them to my collection, but I'd enjoy seeing them and would be happy for that.

7 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

+1 :applause:

+2 Fantastic @Warlord

As far as a guess on the WW bag: I think you’re right about that being a mixed bag. The pink stripes at the top of the book peeking out (If I’m seeing that correctly) don’t seem to match any of the issues directly before or after 262.

On 7/4/2020 at 12:44 PM, Warlord said:

Thank you, but I'm not done.  I want *every* DC Whitman variant still sealed in a multipack, but I have only roughly 100 (I need to count).  This is just a milestone along the way.  As noted, I'm only one Wonder Woman comic away from having all of those identified.   Actually @epowe10097 might have it... an image on the old STL site showed a pack that I often imagined would contain three consecutive Wonder Woman comics and if so would include the one I'm missing, but I don't have any info about the contents or a scan of the other side of this Wonder Woman #262.  Recently upon closer examination I think it's one DC Whitman and there's a Gold Key Whitman behind it, making it one of those oddball mixed packs.  If epowe would show up and share the other scan or notes about the contents that would be awesome. What's everyone guess about what's in this pack?

1415925932_dcwhitman3packWonderWoman262-f.jpg.e6d5eb822c7be89d266aa1dc3a6ccf1a.jpg

Yeah, that's definitely a Gold Key Whitman in the back of that pack...

I wonder why none of the super-rare June 1980 Whitmans (like Batman 324, DCCP 22, Superman 348, JLA 179 and Action 508) have not been found in a Whitman pack?  I also wonder why they tend to surface in Canada more often than anywhere else.  Were they perhaps released in Canada in some different way than a pack?   Had to believe it has been 40 years since June 1980... makes me wonder if an original owner of one of these comic books could ever be found with direct knowledge of how he or she got one of those rare Whitmans.

On 7/9/2020 at 2:39 PM, Eddie Powe said:

Which Wonder Woman are you missing? The pack you showed is WW 262, 263 and I think the Flash Gordon I posted. 

Wow, sorry I missed this post.  Wonder Woman #263 is the in-pack sighting that I am missing!  I had hope that it would be in that 3-pack, but nothing to rely on.   @Eddie PoweThank you for the confirmation!   Did you nail down whether the image you posed is the correct Flash Gordon issue for that pack?

17 hours ago, Cpt Kirk said:

I wonder why none of the super-rare June 1980 Whitmans (like Batman 324, DCCP 22, Superman 348, JLA 179 and Action 508) have not been found in a Whitman pack?  I also wonder why they tend to surface in Canada more often than anywhere else.  Were they perhaps released in Canada in some different way than a pack?   Had to believe it has been 40 years since June 1980... makes me wonder if an original owner of one of these comic books could ever be found with direct knowledge of how he or she got one of those rare Whitmans.

Some form of Canada-only distribution for a few of these Whitman issues is my leading theory for their scarcity.