• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let's talk about out-of-touch pricing and forum ettiquette.
7 7

397 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, Poekaymon said:

As do I, as I said.  Thought it might be a fun topic though.

If nothing else, it gives everyone a chance to air their grievances with the marketplace.

10CECE2C-5BEF-446C-892D-03BF1ACF23B6.png

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

9 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

You're not wrong.  It's easy to avoid being threadcrapped by pricing fairly.   How do you feel about discussing the grading directly in a sales thread?   Personally, I have no problem with it.  If someone thinks I missed something, I'd rather they speak up & give me a chance to either change the grade or defend it.    Better than missing something & having a FN book posted as a VF.2c

Yeah, i think that's good, if there is a big discrepency. But what I tend to do instead is simply point out the defect and ask about it. Then with that kind of attention brought to the defect, the thread is now aware of it and the seller can explain, change the grade or keep it as such and leave it unsold.

3 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

You can't tell people how to price their books

Can you explain to me why it is against forum rules to post something with no price then?  I'm just trying to understand why you're fine with something that is priced way out of line but not with something that has no price at all.  Either one is mostly spam and will require further discussion to sell.

1 minute ago, William-James88 said:

Yeah, i think that's good, if there is a big discrepency. But what I tend to do instead is simply point out the defect and ask about it. Then with that kind of attention brought to the defect, the thread is now aware of it and the seller can explain, change the grade or keep it as such and leave it unsold.

That’s a good approach (thumbsu

7 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

I like to list my comics at 20% above what I am looking for (at least GPA) so boardies can haggle the price down and feel like they got a bargain. 

See, since I know that trick I instead ignore such listings. I just dont care to haggle. But in either case, that's oir choice to act as such.

1 minute ago, Poekaymon said:

Can you explain to me why it is against forum rules to post something with no price then?  I'm just trying to understand why you're fine with something that is priced way out of line but not with something that has no price at all.  Either one is mostly spam and will require further discussion to sell.

No price is BS.  It would be an absolute nightmare if sellers were permitted to simply post books and solicit offers.

1 minute ago, William-James88 said:

See, since I know that trick I instead ignore such listings. I just dont care to haggle. But in either case, that's oir choice to act as such.

So in your profile you set the "Not a haggler" option so that sellers know what price shows up when you browse the listing?

2 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

No price is BS.  It would be an absolute nightmare if sellers were permitted to simply post books and solicit offers.

But Beyonder.  Work with me here.  How is that any different from posting an outrageous price, which you seem to be totally on board with.  I mean I can start doing it just to prove a point.  Either way you're just posting books and soliciting offers as it's never going for the posted price in my hypothetical.

2 minutes ago, Poekaymon said:

But Beyonder.  Work with me here.  How is that any different from posting an outrageous price, which you seem to be totally on board with.  I mean I can start doing it just to prove a point.  Either way you're just posting books and soliciting offers as it's never going for the posted price in my hypothetical.

But if it comes out to the same thing then why change the status quo?

4 minutes ago, Poekaymon said:

It's more that I just don't care.   There are a ton of great sellers here, and the kind of books you're talking about are plentiful in supply.   Put the over-priced sellers on ignore, and carry on.

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

no price is easy to police, black and white. No price, not allowed. Price debates, especially involving people not actively buying or selling that exact book, are subjective and rightly not part of enforcement.

This seems a solution in search of a problem.

Just now, Bird said:

no price is easy to police, black and white. No price, not allowed. Price debates, especially involving people not actively buying or selling that exact book, are subjective and rightly not part of enforcement.

Well we do seem to have a few "pricing police" 

4 minutes ago, Bird said:

Sometimes it's worthwhile to question things, though I get the sense I'm in the minority here.  

1 minute ago, blazingbob said:

Well we do seem to have a few "pricing police" 

I edited out the use of "Karen's" in an earlier post because even thought I was saying it to be funny I don't want anyone to feel harassed.

mods have specifically stated that they do not want anything to do with moderating the sales forums. It can be annoying to look up comps when you find something nice here and see a nice book is priced very high but it seems the sellers I don't buy from due to what I think are crazy high prices, like crazy high!, seem to sell books in those very same threads. 

I know I have some GA books that people think I price crazy high. Certainly if you are using OSPG because I have never owned one and never expect to. But that is the price bucko. :sumo:

1 hour ago, Poekaymon said:

predatory pricing

Of a comic book?  Holy hyperbole Batman. Not possible. Your initial Instinct is correct. Shake your head and move on. As a buyer the best you can do is make an offer.   I’ve got no problem with pm’ing some incredulity but not crapping on it publicly. 

1 minute ago, Bird said:

I edited out the use of "Karen's" in an earlier post because even thought I was saying it to be funny I don't want anyone to feel harassed.

mods have specifically stated that they do not want anything to do with moderating the sales forums. It can be annoying to look up comps when you find something nice here and see a nice book is priced very high but it seems the sellers I don't buy from due to what I think are crazy high prices, like crazy high!, seem to sell books in those very same threads. 

I know I have some GA books that people think I price crazy high. Certainly if you are using OSPG because I have never owned one and never expect to. But that is the price bucko. :sumo:

In defense of the original poster he did disclose that this isn't really about the hard to find or tough book.