• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let's talk about out-of-touch pricing and forum ettiquette.
7 7

397 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Poekaymon said:

Sometimes it's worthwhile to question things, though I get the sense I'm in the minority here.  

You are, as far as pricing.

Let me throw this out there:  what’s the best way to tactfully address woefully inaccurate grading?

Just now, 500Club said:

Let me throw this out there:  what’s the best way to tactfully address woefully inaccurate grading?

Grading is a whole can of worms I wasn't even attempting to address.  I'm just talking about common, pregraded, CGC books.  

1 minute ago, 500Club said:

Unless you are a Certified grading expert I would recommend a PM.  And try to avoid the "Grading is subjective" as a way to warm them up.  

11 minutes ago, Poekaymon said:

Sometimes it's worthwhile to question things, though I get the sense I'm in the minority here.  

only in that you are asking to make a rule about it. It just isn't enforceable. GoCollect? Ebay sold? ebay listed? gpa? last night's HA or Clink or CC? 30 days? 90 days? 7 day avg? so many sliding scales. better to move on!

I myself decided yesterday to remove a few folks from my ignore list. I put them there due to political beliefs garnered via posts or what I saw as lunacy posts but realized that goes against what I believe. Extremes, whether pricing or posting, might be best handled person to person with clarity and civility. A good goal at least.

now, about that marvel family 77.....

Edited by Bird

2 minutes ago, Poekaymon said:

Grading is a whole can of worms I wasn't even attempting to address.  I'm just talking about common, pregraded, CGC books.  

Why not just buy this common drek on EBay?  Sounds like you’re looking for a place that guarantees a 10% discount off EBay prices.

1 minute ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Why not just buy this common drek on EBay?  Sounds like you’re looking for a place that guarantees a 10% discount off EBay prices.

Because if I buy it on Ebay I'll have to pay sales tax if I live in a state that has it

Edited by blazingbob

1 minute ago, William-James88 said:

Its overpriced so i bought one elsewhere.

good! I decided I might be buying big hand books so I am keeping it. They are awesome. I went after WW slab on HA a few weeks ago but just missed.

Edited by Bird

3 minutes ago, blazingbob said:
5 minutes ago, 500Club said:

Unless you are a Certified grading expert I would recommend a PM.  And try to avoid the "Grading is subjective" as a way to warm them up.  

lol

I, personally, don’t bother.  I just tend to let the overgraded item in question migrate down and off the front page.

And, I’m talking about egregious examples, not a hypothetical case where a good grader in general is selling an 8.5 that you think is more like an 8.0.

Just now, Bird said:

only in that you are asking to make a rule about it. It just isn't enforceable. GoCollect? Ebay sold? ebay listed? gpa? last night's HA or Clink or CC? 30 days? 90 days? 7 day avg? so many sliding scales. better to move on!

I myself decided yesterday to remove a few folks from my ignore list. I put them there due to political beliefs garnered via posts or what I saw as lunacy posts but realized that goes against what I believe. Extremes, whether pricing or posting, might be best handled person to person with clarity and civility. A good goal at least.

On the contrary, I wasn't asking to make any rule at all.  I was simply questioning why some rules were in place.

#1.  Why the rule is that you can ask a ridiculous price but not list no price.  The answer seems to be ease of enforcement.  Okay, then the lesson is never put no price just put a ridiculous one.  That's easy enough, so fair enough.

#2.  Why can't you discuss price in someone's thread.  Lots of answers on this, but generally it has to do with not messing up someone's thread.  The fundamental disagreement I still have with most of you is that, in my humble, minority opinion, some people, (talking rare, egregious cases here, not like the guy who said he likes to haggle down) might actually deserve to have their threads messed with.   

5 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Not at all and at this point I wonder if you aren't intentionally misunderstanding me.  The 10% thing was just my own general rule of thumb based on ebay fees.  I'm in no way saying that people have to do that.  In fact, post stuff that is 10% higher than ebay if you want.  I'm not calling anyone out for that.  At least that's in the ballpark.  

6 minutes ago, Bird said:

good! I decided I might be buying big hand books so I am keeping it. They are awesome.

Its a cool book, definitelt sonething worth keeping. But you see, what happenned is fine and why I don't see a need to change anything. You know you priced it high and since you are a seller on these boards, I know that you know that. So I knew there was no point in me reaching out to get it lower or responding on tje thread. Didnt want to waste my time or yours. So i just kept a lookout for the book and bought it at a price/grade I liked better. In the end, we both get the book and didn't annoy eachother. 

1 minute ago, Poekaymon said:

Not at all and at this point I wonder if you aren't intentionally misunderstanding me.  The 10% thing was just my own general rule of thumb based on ebay fees.  I'm in no way saying that people have to do that.  In fact, post stuff that is 10% higher than ebay if you want.  I'm not calling anyone out for that.  At least that's in the ballpark.  

What I’m trying to understand, is what you’d like to see happen in actuality.  What rule would you like to put in place to address the issue?

1 minute ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

What I’m trying to understand, is what you’d like to see happen in actuality.  What rule would you like to put in place to address the issue?

This was more academic than solving a real problem, as someone else pointed out.  But I guess the "solution" I like best was posited by William-James on page 1: let people do what they want, both in pricing or in discussing the price.

2 minutes ago, Poekaymon said:

This was more academic than solving a real problem, as someone else pointed out.  But I guess the "solution" I like best was posited by William-James on page 1: let people do what they want, both in pricing or in discussing the price.

I think it needs to be taken on a case by case basis.   I originally directed you to the discussion thread because your rant went beyond the pale in that sales thread.  GPA had already been pointed out, and the price questioned.   There's a line.  I think your post crossed it.

Yeah I like the current rule. Just move on if you don't like the price. Some Facebook groups allow price threadcrapping, and it comes off as douchey and icky. What do you think of haggling within the thread? This is a common occurrence on Facebook sales, but seems to be generally discouraged here though not expressly prohibited. In fact, I see a thread the other day where a deal was made in the thread instead of by pm. I don't think I mind either way; just a tangential subject to this thread.

4 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

I think it needs to be taken on a case by case basis.   I originally directed you to the discussion thread because your rant went beyond the pale in that sales thread.  GPA had already been pointed out, and the price questioned.   There's a line.  I think your post crossed it.

I disagree that it was a rant--it was 3 lines in defense of someone who asked a question in a thread and was told to keep his comments out of the thread.  If you're saying you're fine with what *he* did (the person who questioned the price) then we actually have no disagreement about the applicability of the rules to sales threads.

Edited by Poekaymon