• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let's talk about out-of-touch pricing and forum ettiquette.
7 7

397 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, bb8 said:

Yeah I like the current rule. Just move on if you don't like the price. Some Facebook groups allow price threadcrapping, and it comes off as douchey and icky. What do you think of haggling within the thread? This is a common occurrence on Facebook sales, but seems to be generally discouraged here though not expressly prohibited. In fact, I see a thread the other day where a deal was made in the thread instead of by pm. I don't think I mind either way; just a tangential subject to this thread.

I hosted a sales thread where I permitted haggling directly in the thread.  I enjoyed the action.   

5 minutes ago, bb8 said:

Yeah I like the current rule. Just move on if you don't like the price. Some Facebook groups allow price threadcrapping, and it comes off as douchey and icky. What do you think of haggling within the thread? This is a common occurrence on Facebook sales, but seems to be generally discouraged here though not expressly prohibited. In fact, I see a thread the other day where a deal was made in the thread instead of by pm. I don't think I mind either way; just a tangential subject to this thread.

I'm not in favor of haggling within a thread, no.  I'm in favor of something like this:

1. Guy posts: X 9.8 for $500.

2. Someone posts: GPA on that is $300 and there are several BINs up on that exact book as we speak for $250-300.  Am I missing something?

1 hour ago, Poekaymon said:

Yeah, but you're just repeating what is customary and/or "frowned upon."  I already know that, as I acknowledged in my post.  I asked you to, just for the purposes of this discussion here, forget about the rules/policy/custom for a moment and actually discuss whether or not that should be the policy.  

No, it shouldn't, and you can't simply ignore 18 years of board history. If you want the discussion then you need the historical background. 

5 minutes ago, Poekaymon said:

I disagree that it was a rant--it was 3 lines in defense of someone who asked a question in a thread and was told to keep his comments out of the thread.  If you're saying you're fine with what *he* did (the person who questioned the price) then we actually have no disagreement about the applicability of the rules to sales threads.

(shrug)

18916074-2080-467A-9815-2E59CA7AB2E2.jpeg

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

1 hour ago, William-James88 said:

Honestly, I feel people can do as they wish (either in pricing or discussing the price) and shouldnt be punished or told off in either scenario.

Just don't do it in their sales thread

1 hour ago, blazingbob said:

Things should be priced at least 10% less then Ebay,  Why?  Do Sellers have to discount the book if they are doing that?  I find that buyers seem to want to dictate what I can and cannot charge for my book as well as my profit margin.  They want the cash discount,  they don't want to pay the paypal fee I incur,  they want free shipping etc.

Spin the wheel...take your chances :shy:

5 minutes ago, Poekaymon said:

I'm not in favor of haggling within a thread, no.  I'm in favor of something like this:

1. Guy posts: X 9.8 for $500.

2. Someone posts: GPA on that is $300 and there are several BINs up on that exact book as we speak for $250-300.  Am I missing something?

Or, if you simply can't leave it alone....why not just post your offer instead?   Show your commitment to a potential sale.

5 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

(shrug)

18916074-2080-467A-9815-2E59CA7AB2E2.jpeg

This seems like a rant to you?  Even objectively speaking, I am pretty sure that doesn't qualify as an internet rant.

In any case, I didn't open with that.  I posted it into a discussion regarding price/forum etiquette that was already going, and then I immediately deleted it.  

48 minutes ago, Poekaymon said:

54 minutes ago, Bird said:

no price is easy to police, black and white. No price, not allowed. Price debates, especially involving people not actively buying or selling that exact book, are subjective and rightly not part of enforcement.

This seems a solution in search of a problem.

Sometimes it's worthwhile to question things, though I get the sense I'm in the minority here.  

You're right. There is absolutely no problem having the discussion. 

1 minute ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Or, if you simply can't leave it alone....why not just post your offer instead?   Show your commitment to a potential sale.

I do simply leave it alone, as I have said two times (now three) in this thread alone.  I asked if this was the best policy.  The majority are saying yes.  Fair enough.

1 minute ago, Poekaymon said:

I gotta say that is definitely not the vibe I am getting here.  But thanks.

I welcome the discussion.  It just seems you're not happy with the direction it's going.   Feel free to post as you wish.   Now that I know you're aware of the discussion thread, I have no need to ever direct you to it again.   Call out the over-pricers all you want.    It saves me the hassle of seeing over-priced common slabs going forward.^^

2 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

I welcome the discussion.  It just seems you're not happy with the direction it's going.   Feel free to post as you wish.   Now that I know you're aware of the discussion thread, I have no need to ever direct you to it again.   Call out the over-pricers all you want.    It saves me the hassle of seeing over-priced common slabs going forward.^^

Ignoring multiple questions, stating that you "just don't care" (page or two ago), and pasting in a comment that I previously immediately deleted after posting, and then ignoring my response to that deleted post, all seem somewhat at odds with your statement that you "welcome the discussion."  

In any case, I can take a hint.  And no, I will not be calling out over-pricers.  I will simply continue to ignore their threads as I have said 3 times (now four) in this thread alone.

13 minutes ago, Poekaymon said:

Ignoring multiple questions, stating that you "just don't care" (page or two ago), and pasting in a comment that I previously immediately deleted after posting, and then ignoring my response to that deleted post, all seem somewhat at odds with your statement that you "welcome the discussion."  

In any case, I can take a hint.  And no, I will not be calling out over-pricers.  I will simply continue to ignore their threads as I have said 3 times (now four) in this thread alone.

What you posted, and my response to it is what  triggered this thread.  You even named me in the initial post.   Please don't play the victim card.   What questions did I ignore?  My "just don't care" comment was in the context of trying to change policy, when I can simply click a key on my keyboard and move on.

I honestly think the discussion is an interesting one.   Seems odd that you take offence to me reposting your comments, when it's those comments you're campaigning to permit.???

And I didn't ignore your response in that thread.  I took the time to delete the post where I quoted it.  I even liked your post.  Should I have responded further, and continued to derail the thread?

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

13 minutes ago, Poekaymon said:

We can, and do, welcome the discussion but a true discussion has many different voices and many different opinions. However, not all of those voices are going to be supportive of your position, or mine. That doesn't mean there is no value in the discussion. 

Edited by Erik Thorvaldsson

7 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

What you posted, and my response to it is was triggered this thread.  You even named me in the initial post.   Please don't play the victim card.   What questions did I ignore?  My "just don't care" comment was in the context of trying to change policy, when I can simply click a key on my keyboard and move on.

I honestly think the discussion is an interesting one.   Seems odd that you take offence to me reposting your comments, when it's those comments your campaigning to permit.???

Because you didn't just repost it.  I deleted that post and did so almost immediately.  And then I posted:  "Was more a response to the previous poster than a vent, but point taken, and post removed."  That you dig it up here, out of context, seems pretty improper, but hey.

The post I was campaigning to permit, and the one which I gave that "rant" in support of, is this one, which I didn't even post (that's why I said earlier, if you are also okay with this sort of post then we have no disagreement):

355308235_SSBlack.thumb.png.b43ba3381ea8a3888efcdd31849cc2d2.png

Is this the wrong one? Asking because I love the book but the price just seems very very off so trying to figure out what I'm missing.

Edited by Poekaymon

8 minutes ago, Erik Thorvaldsson said:

We can, and do, welcome the discussion but a true discussion has many different voices and many different opinions. However, not all of those voices are going to be supportive of your position, or mine. That doesn't mean there is no value in the discussion. 

To be clear, I really was only accusing one person of not being welcoming, and for the avoidance of doubt, it isn't you, and it isn't any of the people who simply disagreed with me (which was nearly everyone, I acknowledge).  On that note, I'ma exit stage left.  

Edited by Poekaymon

1 minute ago, Poekaymon said:

Because you didn't just repost it.  I deleted that post and did so almost immediately.  And then I posted:  "Was more a response to the previous poster than a vent, but point taken, and post removed."

The post I was campaigning to permit, and the one which I gave that "rant" in support of, is this one, which I didn't even post (that's why I said earlier, if you are also okay with this sort of post then we have no disagreement):

355308235_SSBlack.thumb.png.b43ba3381ea8a3888efcdd31849cc2d2.png

Is this the wrong one? Asking because I love the book but the price just seems very very off so trying to figure out what I'm missing.

It's currently ( I say currently because maybe the policy will ease off as a result of this thread ) considered a threadcrap to post what they did.  I felt it was done in such a way that it didn't require a response from others. I would have liked to see it play out actually, as I was interested in seeing the sellers response.

6 minutes ago, Poekaymon said:

To be clear, I really was only accusing one person of not being welcoming, and for the avoidance of doubt, it isn't you, and it isn't any of the people who simply disagreed with me (which was nearly everyone, I acknowledge).  

It's me :acclaim: