• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let's talk about out-of-touch pricing and forum ettiquette.
7 7

397 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Artboy99 said:

sellers can put whatever price they want on the book. Generally as the buyer I have an idea what the books value is. If I dont want to pay the price I can send a PM or close the thread.

As a guy from Canada I have a bigger issue with the sellers who wont sell to Canada and wish the board had a way  to note "us only" on the thread title so I stop wasting my time opening those.

I just sold my first thing to Canada.  I thought it was going to be harder in terms of filling out custom forms and all that, but the USPS portal it just does all of that for you anyway.  Ended up being a single label even.

42 minutes ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

I've collecting for 40+ years, but I would be hard pressed to answer a question such as, "Would you sell me your X-Men #1 CGC 6.0 for $7500?" Since I just checked for my bimonthly insurance check, I know that would be low, as my CGC 3.0 is worth around $4800. But could I give you an exact price? No. This is why I use GoCollect, GPAnalyis, and Ebay sold prices.

FYI - GoCollect = $10,500; GPAnalysis = $11,900; EBay last sale = $11,900.

Right.  But in your example, you said you’d appreciate the info that your asking price is twice the going rate on EBay.

Wouldnt you already know that?

43 minutes ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

Well, in my case, I would have known to check GoCollect, GPAnalysis, and/or Ebay sales. But, if you're not a collector and you're not aware of those sites, it would be an easy mistake to make.

Got it(thumbsu

1 hour ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

I think you're thinking of me. Yes, the prices I had listed for these Omnibuses were high, but I based them on recent Ebay sales.

I sold a copy of Black Knight/Yellow Claw Masterworks for $127.50. I sold Spider-Man Omnibus Vol. 1 for #127.50 and Spider-Man Omnibus #2 for $230. I sold Golden Age Superman Omnibus Vol. 1 for $90. I sold Ultimate Spider-Man Hardcovers (11 total) for $500. I sold X-Men Omnibus Vol. 1 for $460 and X-Men Omnibus Vol. 2 for $190. I sold Fantastic Four Omnibus Vol. 2 for $180; I sold Fantastic Four Omnibus Volume 1 for $40 (which was a BIG mistake). I sold a dozen Marvel Masterworks for $550. I also sold Futurama Comics #1 - #80 for $200, and Bart Simpson's Treehouse of Horror comics #1 - #21 for $180.

If you look at these sales, I think that you would agree that the prices I listed here on the boards were NOT out of line.

I remember your thread and I promise I’m not referring to you. 

42 minutes ago, allthingskryptonite said:

If it's a slabbed book and from GPA/GoCollect/eBay you know that the FMV ~300$ then I can understand why as a potential buyer you are displeased. 

But if it is a raw book I will generally prefer to buy here than in eBay.

I once bought a raw book graded as 9.0 from eBay. 8 months down the line when I wanted to sell it via Mycomicshop, their grade for the comic was 6.5 -- due to a flaw that I had missed altogether.

In contrast, few months back I bought a book as a raw 7.0 from a boardie, that when I sold, was eventually graded as 7.5 by Mycomicshop.

Although I have cherry picked extreme examples, I am more confident buying a potentially correctly graded raw book from a boardie here maybe even at a premium over FMV than on eBay

Personally, I would never buy a $100+ raw book on Ebay. If I can't get it CGC graded, I'll just wait. One will turn up sooner or later.

I think sales threads in here should be Fight Club style.

If you overprice or over grade your books, then you get the ever loving snot kicked out of you in your thread.

When that happens, you are free to try and convince everyone why you feel your book is worth the grade or price that you gave it. 

If you can't, then we release the gimp (greggy) on you.

4 minutes ago, Domo Arigato said:

I think sales threads in here should be Fight Club style.

If you overprice or over grade your books, then you get the ever loving snot kicked out of you in your thread.

When that happens, you are free to try and convince everyone why you feel your book is worth the grade or price that you gave it. 

If you can't, then we release the gimp (greggy) on you.

^^

At the end of the day i came here (boards) to learn about and see all the books that I always wanted when I was a little boy! Getting deals and over priced books matter little to me!:foryou:

I have few issues with pricing but poor grading of raw books and US only shipping policies drive me bonkers.

3 minutes ago, piper said:

I have few issues with pricing but poor grading of raw books and US only shipping policies drive me bonkers.

Yes, not shipping to Canada is unfortunate.  Although I must admit, I have contacted sellers who say "USA Only" and they have been willing to re-consider. 

On the topic, I will say that one of the things I have always liked about this forum is the unwritten rule (I think it is unwritten) that you do not threadcr@p in someone's sales thread, period.  That has been a long standing stance and I would argue it should remain.  This is a free society (at least for now, how knows how much longer), so people are free to price and grade their books as they wish.  If books are over priced or over graded, bite your tongue move on.  My  2c

6 hours ago, Poekaymon said:

Can you explain to me why it is against forum rules to post something with no price then?  I'm just trying to understand why you're fine with something that is priced way out of line but not with something that has no price at all.  Either one is mostly spam and will require further discussion to sell.

It's easy to write and enforce rules that require sellers to provide a price, or shipping details, or payment methods.  All yes or no requirements that require no deliberation.

Writing rules to determine overpriced books would need to consider the reputation or feedback of the seller, over-night changes in the market, shipping cost, apparent grade versus declared grade, page quality, pressing potential, restoration removal potential, etc.  All judgement calls that would lead to endless bickering. 

Ebay has tons of over-priced books that often sit for years.  Mycomicshop has thousands of over-priced consignment items.  Sites with active management and staff and business' that make their living selling haven't written rules to eliminate over-priced books yet we can do it on the CGC board when CGC has clearly said they want no part in policing the sales area.  

2 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

This site is better than most. Facebook is absolutely brutal and eBay is always a wide array. I find prices here fair to good.

Facebook is about patience and luck.  (I suppose you could say the same about eBay.)  At least when it comes to auctions, you're looking at a very small set of buyers and then an even smaller group who have the money or are actually interested in the same book as you.  I once lucked out and bought an ASM 300 CGC SS book on auction because I happened to be the only interested buyer and was thus able to get it at the starting price.  The other half of the equation, at least with regards to raws, is developing confidence in a random Facebooker to grade conservatively.  That said, I've witnessed far too many auctions where mundane moderns go for much higher than alternative sites simply because two or three people get into a bidding war.

12 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

Ebay has tons of over-priced books that often sit for years.  Mycomicshop has thousands of over-priced consignment items.  Sites with active management and staff and business' that make their living selling haven't written rules to eliminate over-priced books yet we can do it on the CGC board when CGC has clearly said they want no part in policing the sales area.  

To be fair, when it comes to valuation based off of eBay, one should never look at list price...only sold.