• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let's talk about out-of-touch pricing and forum ettiquette.
7 7

397 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

As a guy from Canada I have a bigger issue with the sellers who wont sell to Canada and wish the board had a way  to note "us only" on the thread title so I stop wasting my time opening those.

I found out the hard way the perils of shipping to Canada. I sold something to a person in Canada; when I looked at shipping prices, I found that UPS provided the best rate. When I was asked the value of the contents, I said $200, which was accurate. What I didn't know was that I SHOULD have mentioned that the contents were used. So, the package arrives in Canada, and the buyer receives a $100+ duty. Needless to say, said person was "madder than a wet hen." I ended up refunding $50 to him to make the buyer satisfied. I certainly lost money on that transaction.

I still haven't decided who is more at fault regarding this transaction. Was it me, for not knowing the proper way to game the system to avoid a high duty? Or was it the buyer, who knew full well about duties, for not telling me how to ship the package to avoid a high duty? I guess we were both at fault, but I'm the one who took it in the shorts.

Now that I am "in the know", I may consider shipping to Canada again at some time. But I will ask the buyer to make the proper procedure clear to me before I do.

Edited by Joe Ankenbauer

1 hour ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

I found out the hard way the perils of shipping to Canada. I sold something to a person in Canada; when I looked at shipping prices, I found that UPS provided the best rate. When I was asked the value of the contents, I said $200, which was accurate. What I didn't know was that I SHOULD have mentioned that the contents were used. So, the package arrives in Canada, and the buyer receives a $100+ duty. Needless to say, said person was "madder than a wet hen." I ended up refunding $50 to him to make the buyer satisfied. I certainly lost money on that transaction.

I still haven't decided who is more at fault regarding this transaction. Was it me, for not knowing the proper way to game the system to avoid a high duty? Or was it the buyer, who knew full well about duties, for not telling me how to ship the package to avoid a high duty? I guess we were both at fault, but I'm the one who took it in the shorts.

Now that I am "in the know", I may consider shipping again at some time. But I will ask the buyer to make the proper procedure clear to me before I do.

Canadian Buyers understand that they pay a 5% tax on incoming purchases. The best way to ship by far to Canada is USPS.

Edited by piper

1 hour ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

Now that I am "in the know", I may consider shipping again at some time. But I will ask the buyer to make the proper procedure clear to me before I do.

fair statement.

I personally am very ok with the proper duty being declared. UPS ( brown ) have their own customs for packages coming into Canada and it is far more expensive than shipping with good old USPS ( United States Postal Service ) who have an agreement with Canada Post and the import costs are only 5% of declared value.

The buyer you dealt with now knows to make sure he tells the seller to not use UPS. He also knows if you can't afford to pay the import costs then don't buy it. The person I feel for in your transaction is you.

All that said, I just did a deal here on the boards and the seller sent me 2 slabs and sent via UPS. When it arrived I was not charged any extra duty, so maybe something has changed.

Buyers who use GPA to gauge value also need to remember that not all CGC graded comics are created equal. Comics in the same grade (ie 9.4) can have different PQ, miswraps, writing on cover, etc. So a perfectly centered white-paged clean copy can easily command more than many recent GPA sales.

And sometimes a seller just knows a comic is worth more than recent sales show. About 3 years ago a beautiful CGC 9.2 FF 49 was listed for sale at about 25% above GPA. Before I could even think about lowballing the seller another boardie jumped on it. The comic has tripled in value since then. Made the same mistake on a mid grade FF #5. doh!

24 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

Buyers who use GPA to gauge value also need to remember that not all CGC graded comics are created equal. Comics in the same grade (ie 9.4) can have different PQ, miswraps, writing on cover, etc. So a perfectly centered white-paged clean copy can easily command more than many recent GPA sales.

Now this I agree with 100%.  But you have to be careful with this opinion on these boards.  This very concept was the subject of one of my first threads on here, in relation to someone showing a picture of a graded book in a sale, and then delivering a different copy, but of the same grade.  I said that was wrong because grades weren't all created equal, and I got shouted down by the vocal-seller-majority on here saying that books are fungible within grades.

Edited by Poekaymon

What would be the intent of said “thread crapping”?  Alert newb buyers? Prevent spam listings? Inform ignorant sellers?  The problem I see is how slippery the slope is when it comes to comments in a sales thread.  We all would be ok with commenting on a thread selling a common $50 book for $1,0000.  But then someone would say something about a great presenting, ultra hot book that is currently $200 but could explode up to $400 any minute that the seller wants to sell for $300.  It’s far easier to just outlaw the discussions in a thread and require all the discussions be via PM.   

I can see this being a nightmare for sales of Golden Age books where some comics often go years between sales. 

Dong Man #1 in VG is listed for $1000. 

The last recorded GPA sale is $450 for a Fine copy in 2013.

Let the open price debate in the sales thread begin! 

That would push many GA sellers right out of the boards. 

44 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

I can see this being a nightmare for sales of Golden Age books where some comics often go years between sales. 

Dong Man #1 in VG is listed for $1000. 

The last recorded GPA sale is $450 for a Fine copy in 2013.

Let the open price debate in the sales thread begin! 

That would push many GA sellers right out of the boards. 

From the very first post in the thread:  "(This is exclusive of super rare stuff--I'm talking about stuff where if you search on eBay you get multiple BINs.)"

But even in your example, I'm not sure it would end up pushing anyone "right out of the boards."  So someone would post their rare GA book for whatever price.  Someone in the thread might say "why is that so high, the FMV is x."  Seller says "that doesn't really apply as the last sale was in 2013, and this is the only one for sale anywhere."  Isn't that going to pretty much be the end of it?  Beyond that it's just haggling, and no one was ever suggesting that.  Maybe I have too much faith in people to be reasonable. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Poekaymon

52 minutes ago, Poekaymon said:

So someone would post their rare GA book for whatever price.  Someone in the thread might say "why is that so high, the FMV is x."  Seller says "that doesn't really apply as the last sale was in 2013, and this is the only one for sale anywhere."  Isn't that going to pretty much be the end of it? 

lol