• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let's talk about out-of-touch pricing and forum ettiquette.
7 7

397 posts in this topic

Just now, miraclemet said:

The difference between here and eBay is, honestly, we're more informed and smarter about this stuff. Also an overpriced listing quickly falls off the first page here, unlike on eBay where it continues showing up in your search results every time. Also theres no auto-relist so it's rare to see a bad offer get reposted after it's fallen off the front page. 

I'd rather see an honestly overpriced book, than GPA manipulation and over hyping of "hot" books

I don't even disagree.  There are a lot of super defensive people here.  First or second line of my first post was saying that this board is good for deals.  I like it--I've sold several things on here, and I check it every day.

Was solely about whether price discussion was ever warranted.  Nothing more, nothing less.  The board is good--no disagreement.

Pricing is the seller's business.  But grading is another matter to me.  Not surprisingly, there's a wide disparity in grading standards of unslabbed comics sold on the boards.  And when certain sellers consistently overgrade, according to my eye and standards of grading, it's an issue that might merit discussion.  As pointed out early in this thread, the thread on Sales Discussion is a good place to air any grievances over any seller's grading standards in an ongoing sales thread.  Not for individual comics, but if there may be an issue with overall standards relative to the hobby norm.

6 minutes ago, Poekaymon said:

I don't even disagree.  There are a lot of super defensive people here.  First or second line of my first post was saying that this board is good for deals.  I like it--I've sold several things on here, and I check it every day.

Was solely about whether price discussion was ever warranted.  Nothing more, nothing less.  The board is good--no disagreement.

Any particular seller has the option of stating that open price discussion is allowed in his/her sales thread. 

1 minute ago, Gaard said:

I don't sell much here, but if I do, please don't take a dump in my thread.

I've sold things several times and no one has ever taken a dump in my thread.  I find as long as you price things remotely reasonably, people are fine.  

2 hours ago, 1Cool said:

We all would be ok with commenting on a thread selling a common $50 book for $1,0000.  

Finally, some compromise!  So it's just a matter of degree.  I said earlier that obviously this doesn't apply to someone rare books, for which it's just haggling, or for prices that are even in the ballpark.  And as you have said, it's fine to comment on grossly overpriced stuff.  So now we have the contours set!

21 hours ago, Poekaymon said:

Can you explain to me why it is against forum rules to post something with no price then?  I'm just trying to understand why you're fine with something that is priced way out of line but not with something that has no price at all.  Either one is mostly spam and will require further discussion to sell.

:rulez:

1 minute ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

What you see as defensive, is really just members defending the community that was built here....over 2 decades.  These boards are great, not because of CGC....but because a ton of people have worked hard with endless contributions to create the community you now enjoy. 

What in the world?  I sell here.  I buy here. And I post topics for civil discussion.  I'm somehow attacking the community you have built up?  I feel like I am suggesting that you wear a mask outside and you are enraged that I am encroaching on yer freedoms!  Was just a topic for discussion--everyone is free to ignore and move on--just like an unfairly priced sales thread.

Just now, Poekaymon said:

What in the world?  I sell here.  I buy here. And I post topics for civil discussion.  I'm somehow attacking the community you have built up?  I feel like I am suggesting that you wear a mask outside and you are enraged that I am encroaching on yer freedoms!  Was just a topic for discussion--everyone is free to ignore and move on--just like an unfairly priced sales thread.

You just stated that “there are a lot of super defensive people here”.  Reading through this thread, it seems you’re being the most defensive.  I’m enjoying the discussion.  

And really....

Now you’re comparing me to the mouth breathers protesting wearing a mask?  I guess you think your jabs are subtle.  They’re not.  I think I’ve been very civil considering your insistence on poking at me.

20 minutes ago, Poekaymon said:

I've sold things several times and no one has ever taken a dump in my thread.  I find as long as you price things remotely reasonably, people are fine.  

Could you please expand on this. The phrase seems awfully subjective.

2 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

You just stated that “there are a lot of super defensive people here”.  Reading through this thread, it seems you’re being the most defensive.  I’m enjoying the discussion.  

And really....

Now you’re comparing me to the mouth breathers protesting wearing a mask?  I guess you think your jabs are subtle.  They’re not.  I think I’ve been very civil considering your insistence on poking at me.

My point was just that there was no reason to be defensive.  As I've said repeatedly, I identify more as a seller, and I just thought it was an interesting topic.  You come back with how people are defending the community, and how people have forged this fine place, that I now enjoy, through years of blood, sweat, and tears.  What you seem to be failing to grasp is: I am a part of the community.  Fundamentally, we are all more alike than we are different--we all want the hobby to survive.  On that note, feel free to have the last word.   

1 hour ago, Poekaymon said:

From the very first post in the thread:  "(This is exclusive of super rare stuff--I'm talking about stuff where if you search on eBay you get multiple BINs.)"

But even in your example, I'm not sure it would end up pushing anyone "right out of the boards."  So someone would post their rare GA book for whatever price.  Someone in the thread might say "why is that so high, the FMV is x."  Seller says "that doesn't really apply as the last sale was in 2013, and this is the only one for sale anywhere."  Isn't that going to pretty much be the end of it?  Beyond that it's just haggling, and no one was ever suggesting that.  Maybe I have too much faith in people to be reasonable. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You would think this thread would have ended a long time ago too, but here we are......

9 minutes ago, Poekaymon said:

unfairly

So far you’ve used ”predatory” and “unfairly” to describe the pricing of comic books. Neither is possible. The rules of the boards are pretty simple and make a lot of sense to me.  When someone does make such an ill advised comment on another’s sales thread I view it as the equivalent of road rage. The good news is most sellers here now know how much you desire to comment on pricing so, who knows, somebody might ask. 

1 minute ago, Gaard said:

Could you please expand on this. The phrase seems awfully subjective.

Nearly everything is subjective, though that's more of a philosophical point.  :)  In any case, I'd be happy to:

Here are two scenarios for you, taken from this very thread:

1)  I have a modern, pregraded book that generally goes for $300.  I like to overvalue things by like 20% so that people can haggle and feel like they get a good deal.  I post it at $360.  I would not expect people to all over my thread.  Although I think this price is high, it's at least in the realm of reasonableness.

2)  I have a modern, pregraded book that generally goes for $200.  In fact, there are multiple identical copies up right now with BIN's of $200 on eBay.  Those copies have been sitting on eBay unsold for months and months. I post it at $500.  I would expect some talk because it seems irrational. There's no way it's getting sold without discussion, which means that the price is fundamentally equivalent to posting no price at all, which is against the rules.  

7 minutes ago, Poekaymon said:

My point was just that there was no reason to be defensive.  As I've said repeatedly, I identify more as a seller, and I just thought it was an interesting topic.  You come back with how people are defending the community, and how people have forged this fine place, that I now enjoy, through years of blood, sweat, and tears.  What you seem to be failing to grasp is: I am a part of the community.  Fundamentally, we are all more alike than we are different--we all want the hobby to survive.  On that note, feel free to have the last word.   

lol

Another great ender to a post.....

3 minutes ago, Poekaymon said:

Nearly everything is subjective, though that's more of a philosophical point.  :)  In any case, I'd be happy to:

Here are two scenarios for you, taken from this very thread:

1)  I have a modern, pregraded book that generally goes for $300.  I like to overvalue things by like 20% so that people can haggle and feel like they get a good deal.  I post it at $360.  I would not expect people to all over my thread.  Although I think this price is high, it's at least in the realm of reasonableness.

2)  I have a modern, pregraded book that generally goes for $200.  In fact, there are multiple identical copies up right now with BIN's of $200 on eBay.  Those copies have been sitting on eBay unsold for months and months. I post it at $500.  I would expect some talk because it seems irrational. There's no way it's getting sold without discussion, which means that the price is fundamentally equivalent to posting no price at all, which is against the rules.  

Except that seller IS posting a price. It's up to you whether you want that book at that price or not.

1 minute ago, ThothAmon said:

So far you’ve used ”predatory” and “unfairly” to describe the pricing of comic books. Neither is possible. The rules of the boards are pretty simple and make a lot of sense to me.  When someone does make such an ill advised comment on another’s sales thread I view it as the equivalent of road rage. The good news is most sellers here now know how much you desire to comment on pricing so, who knows, somebody might ask. 

In my time here I have never commented on someone's pricing.  Yesterday, someone else commented on someone's pricing (and it was a very honest question which they apologized for later and deleted anyway), other people shouted them down, and then I made a comment to defend that poster (though I still made no reference to the sale itself--it was just a general comment).  Then within 5 minutes I decided it was not appropriate for the thread, and I deleted the comment.  That's it.    

If my opening this up to discussion in the general forum means you or others want to mess with my own sales threads, which are always below FMV anyway so it's pretty clearly trolling, the likes of which I have said repeatedly in this thread that I do not condone, then what can I say?  Have a field day.