• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let's talk about out-of-touch pricing and forum ettiquette.
7 7

397 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

You seem to feel that 20% over the last sale is too high?  Is 10%?  5% over last sale or does the last GPA command the price the seller must list at?

Nothing can trend up,  must stay the same or as I've said before it goes the toilet bowl swirl down in pricing since 10% off means the next one should sell for 10% less then the one before it.

I literally just said 20% over is within the realm of reasonableness and should not get a thread crapped on.

If you're asking if I personally think $360 is too high if there are multiple BINs sitting on ebay for months for $300, where the person is going to lose an extra 10 percent due to ebay fees, then yeah, I personally feel $360 is too high for that book, but as I said, it's not out of this world, and it's not the situation I am contemplating.

Edited by Poekaymon

3 minutes ago, Poekaymon said:

In my time here I have never commented on someone's pricing.  Yesterday, someone else commented on someone's pricing (and it was a very honest question which they apologized for later and deleted anyway), other people shouted them down, and then I made a comment to defend that poster (though I still made no reference to the sale itself--it was just a general comment).  Then within 5 minutes I decided it was not appropriate for the thread, and I deleted the comment.  That's it.    

If my opening this up to discussion in the general forum means you or others want to mess with my own sales threads, which are always below FMV anyway so it's pretty clearly trolling, the likes of which I have said repeatedly in this thread that I do not condone, then what can I say?  Have a field day. 

Let’s not rewrite history.  You deleted your comments after I quoted them & directed you to the discussion thread.

And “shouted them down”?

Really?

Here’s the response to the original pricing question:

CFE526B3-604C-44FB-98F6-839D70CE5765.jpeg

1 minute ago, oakman29 said:

I've been here for twelve years, and think I've contributed a far amount for this community.  I do also think I've earned a certain amount of respect from my peers.  

Was in no way being disrespectful.  I was saying that I have posted a ton in the last few days and I see how people can end up with so many points, if that wasn't clear.

3 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

I've been here for twelve years, and think I've contributed a fair amount for this community.  I do also think I've earned a certain amount of respect from my peers.  

CCA875E5-EC8D-4E87-B863-BA47290D876C.gif

1 hour ago, namisgr said:

grading is another matter to me.  Not surprisingly, there's a wide disparity in grading standards of unslabbed comics sold on the boards.  And when certain sellers consistently overgrade, according to my eye and standards of grading, it's an issue that might merit discussion.  As pointed out early in this thread, the thread on Sales Discussion is a good place to air any grievances over any seller's grading standards in an ongoing sales thread.  Not for individual comics, but if there may be an issue with overall standards relative to the hobby norm.

Grading is definitely a different animal.  I leave that to the pros.

1 hour ago, Poekaymon said:

Was solely about whether price discussion was ever warranted.  Nothing more, nothing less.  The board is good--no disagreement.

Warranted, no. But that's just because of the standard rules and board norms being applied. You could (and I'd buy a ticket to this) have a sales thread where you define your thread rules and

A) welcome open discussion of your prices

And

B) do all price negotiating in the thread

It would maybe be chaos. Or super entertaining. Or both. But it wouldn't (I don't think) be against the board rules since you specified the terms of the thread.

Just now, miraclemet said:

Warranted, no. But that's just because of the standard rules and board norms being applied. You could (and I'd buy a ticket to this) have a sales thread where you define your thread rules and

And

It would maybe be chaos. Or super entertaining. Or both. But it wouldn't (I don't think) be against the board rules since you specified the terms of the thread.

I think the people who actually could use some discussion would not opt into it, so that's probably not much use. But I take note of your objection to the general premise. 

17 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

And

As I said earlier, I hosted an open haggle thread back in 2013.  It was fun.

Can’t seem to find the first thread, but here’s the follow-up

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

6 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

What are you talking about?  What makes you think I want to mess with your sales thread?

I said "you or others."  You said: " The good news is most sellers here now know how much you desire to comment on pricing so, who knows, somebody might ask. 

I thought you were giving me a warning, but maybe I misunderstood.  And, for the record, I don't "desire to comment on pricing."  I just desired to chat about it, and we have.

Edited by Poekaymon

I really don’t see the value of thread-crapping on anyone’s pricing regardless of how out of line it is.  It drops out of site faster if you just ignore it.  Regardless, it is poor form and is not going to serve a useful purpose.  

I go to conventions and there are a couple of dealers that are just not competitive on pricing. Would it be useful for me to tell them that?  I doubt that they are going to suddenly going to re-price their books based on my criticism.  If they want to spend their time hauling books around to not sell, that is their business.  Ironically, since the last few years have had prices on a strong upward trend, they do eventually sell some books as the market catches up to their prices.

My LCS has terrible pricing.  Should I let them know?  They are still in business, so they must occasionally be selling stuff.  

Allowing people to comment on pricing in threads here would end up being a disaster, IMO.

7 minutes ago, Hamlet said:

My LCS has terrible pricing.  Should I let them know?  They are still in business, so they must occasionally be selling stuff.  

In 2000 I owned a computer store.  By 2004 we were only one of two stores in the area.  Neither one of us did much advertising--we mostly had regular customers.  Occasionally someone would come in to tell me that we were much higher than the other store on something.  Often ram or hard drives, which fluctuated wildly in those days.  I generally appreciated feedback on my prices relative to the market and would usually price match or lower prices.  But it's possible that I'm an outlier--I've generally always tried to have fair prices, in computers, comic books, or anything else.

I make you all this pledge right now:  If you see a sales thread of mine on here, any time in the future, and I'm selling something for more than multiple BINs up on eBay at the time of my post, feel free to tell me right in the thread, and I'll lower the price.  

Edited by Poekaymon