• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let's talk about out-of-touch pricing and forum ettiquette.
7 7

397 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Poekaymon said:

Nearly everything is subjective, though that's more of a philosophical point.  :)  In any case, I'd be happy to:

Here are two scenarios for you, taken from this very thread:

1)  I have a modern, pregraded book that generally goes for...

2)  I have a modern, pregraded book that...

Aww, geez... this whole mess is about moderns?  I should've known.

Moderns are a whole different beast: FMV is the last price someone paid on eBay, so people can ask whatever they want.  The Miles Morales book went from $100 to $400 to $200 in the span of a week.  Are you really going to give someone a hard time for getting it wrong?

4 minutes ago, FineCollector said:

Moderns are a whole different beast: FMV is the last price someone paid on eBay, so people can ask whatever they want.  The Miles Morales book went from $100 to $400 to $200 in the span of a week.  Are you really going to give someone a hard time for getting it wrong?

Oh, I thought you were making a joke. *gets serious* It was never about moderns specifically--you are quoting hypotheticals 10 pages into this thread.  I think the other 12 pages have the answers you seek.    

Just now, Poekaymon said:

Oh, I thought you were making a joke. *gets serious* It was never about moderns specifically--you are quoting hypotheticals 10 pages into this thread.  I think the other 12 pages have the answers you seek.    

Everyone else has told you if you dont like it, move along.  What more do you need to hear?

1 minute ago, FineCollector said:

Everyone else has told you if you dont like it, move along.  What more do you need to hear?

I'm confused.  Did I ask a new question to precipitate your post?  I'm the one telling you that what you are bringing up has already been covered.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Poekaymon

17 hours ago, Poekaymon said:

Now this I agree with 100%.  But you have to be careful with this opinion on these boards.  This very concept was the subject of one of my first threads on here, in relation to someone showing a picture of a graded book in a sale, and then delivering a different copy, but of the same grade.  I said that was wrong because grades weren't all created equal, and I got shouted down by the vocal-seller-majority on here saying that books are fungible within grades.

Please tell me this is in jest or a misinterpretation...if that did happen to you or another boardie, it is ridiculous and a travesty. It would never be in the slightest an acceptable action to picture one copy of a graded book but ship a different copy of the same grade.  I'm fairly confident any seller that did that would get annihilated quickly.  The copy shown HAS to be the copy shipped, as that is what you purchased...anything else is plain and simple a bait and switch and much lower ethical behaviour than I've seen on the boards.  I simply don't feel the boards would stand for that from a seller.

1 hour ago, D84 said:

Unlike eBay, I consider the sales section a self cleaning system. 

People who overprice comics, learn that they don't sell here and leave.

So, if you want these people gone, just wait and don't buy from them.

You couldn’t have said this 12 pages ago?

And....

fade to black 

2 minutes ago, Comical Situations said:

Please tell me this is in jest or a misinterpretation...if that did happen to you or another boardie, it is ridiculous and a travesty. It would never be in the slightest an acceptable action to picture one copy of a graded book but ship a different copy of the same grade.  I'm fairly confident any seller that did that would get annihilated quickly.  The copy shown HAS to be the copy shipped, as that is what you purchased...anything else is plain and simple a bait and switch and much lower ethical behaviour than I've seen on the boards.  I simply don't feel the boards would stand for that from a seller.

It was on eBay, and I came here and made a thread to ask about it, and several regulars like Hollywood, Kevlar, Capra, Amadeus made the basic argument that 9.8s were fungible and that I was being unrealistic and/or too hard on the seller.  (Got derailed for a few pages in the middle.)

Board etiquette has always been let the sellers charge what they please. One rare time I saw a seller get called out was on some kind of comic related memorabilia, can’t remember what, that was readily available in no short supply for $40 or so on eBay but hyped as ultra rare with a much higher price here on the boards. From a new seller I believe 

Just now, dupont2005 said:

Board etiquette has always been let the sellers charge what they please. One rare time I saw a seller get called out was on some kind of comic related memorabilia, can’t remember what, that was readily available in no short supply for $40 or so on eBay but hyped as ultra rare with a much higher price here on the boards. From a new seller I believe 

I wish you had come here 12 pages ago.  Letting sellers charge what they please but also letting people get called out for hawking overpriced, common books is precisely the system I was endorsing.

7 minutes ago, Poekaymon said:

It was on eBay, and I came here and made a thread to ask about it, and several regulars like Hollywood, Kevlar, Capra, Amadeus made the basic argument that 9.8s were fungible and that I was being unrealistic and/or too hard on the seller.  (Got derailed for a few pages in the middle.)

Kevlar made some pretty well-reasoned points in that thread...

5 minutes ago, Poekaymon said:

I wish you had come here 12 pages ago.  Letting sellers charge what they please but also letting people get called out for hawking overpriced, common books is precisely the system I was endorsing.

How do you control for books like ASM 300 or Ultimate Fallout 4 that are common and may be posted in a sales thread for, what today, seems like an overpriced amount but literally in a week or two might be FMV? 

9 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

Kevlar made some pretty well-reasoned points in that thread...

I particularly liked his argument for comparing graded comics to stock images of merchandise on Walmart's website. 🙄  But, alas, I don't have the energy to fight this fight again.

Edited by Poekaymon

10 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

How do you control for books like ASM 300 or Ultimate Fallout 4 that are common and may be posted in a sales thread for, what today, seems like an overpriced amount but literally in a week or two might be FMV? 

Has nothing to do with my perception of FMV it has to do with availability of much lower priced stuff.  In this highly particularized case, if someone comes on here and posts their Fallout 4, and at the time they post there are 20 copies up with BINs on ebay for half of their price, and then he gets sh*t for being twice the price of all those BINs, and then in 2 weeks it doubles in price in the marketplace, so now his post is finally in line with the stuff on eBay, then I am fine with that outcome. His post was still sh*t at the time and he got lucky with the double. 

I honestly don't know why it's so hard to price common stuff, stuff with multiple BINs up, reasonably.  I can do it.  In fact, I usually start my auctions at a penny, and have like $2-3k worth of penny auctions up right now.  When I post here, I look at the eBay prices, and price accordingly.  Didn't realize I was being so charitable! 

Edit: turns out we have some language filtering up in here.

Edited by Poekaymon

25 minutes ago, Poekaymon said:

Has nothing to do with my perception of FMV it has to do with availability of much lower priced stuff.  In this highly particularized case, if someone comes on here and posts their Fallout 4, and at the time they post there are 20 copies up with BINs on ebay for half of their price, and then he gets sh*t for being twice the price of all those BINs, and then in 2 weeks it doubles in price in the marketplace, so now his post is finally in line with the stuff on eBay, then I am fine with that outcome. His post was still sh*t at the time and he got lucky with the double. 

I honestly don't know why it's so hard to price common stuff, stuff with multiple BINs up, reasonably.  I can do it.  In fact, I usually start my auctions at a penny, and have like $2-3k worth of penny auctions up right now.  When I post here, I look at the eBay prices, and price accordingly.  Didn't realize I was being so charitable! 

Edit: turns out we have some language filtering up in here.

Wouldn't that just make the seller with the high priced book ahead of the curve? 

As @Buzzetta said, you get into weird territory when you start assigning presumed FMV to collectibles because they are not a commodity anybody NEEDS but simply WANTS and many, many collectors will happily pay more for a book depending on who is selling that particular copy. Convention pricing is basically built on that philosophy.

17 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

As @Buzzetta said, you get into weird territory when you start assigning presumed FMV to collectibles because they are not a commodity anybody NEEDS but simply WANTS and many, many collectors will happily pay more for a book depending on who is selling that particular copy. Convention pricing is basically built on that philosophy.

There are people here who will pay 50-100% more on a common, pre-graded book depending on who is selling it?  That is incredible, but I'll take your word for it.  Those guys are making serious bank--they can just snatch up all those other copies and go to town.  Even still, is it so bad to let people ask the question?  Then everyone can just say 'yeah we happily pay double FMV because the seller is _____.'  I don't know, besides being hard to believe, it doesn't really seem like a big problem, but maybe I am underestimating the number of trolls ready to ruin all your sales threads. 

Edit: Who is your best seller on this board for pre-graded, common books.  The cream of the crop.  The person who can command the highest premium on his or her stuff.  The big chief.  I just want to look at their sales and see how much over FMV they command on average.  Appreciate it.

Edited by Poekaymon