• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let's talk about out-of-touch pricing and forum ettiquette.
7 7

397 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Poekaymon said:

I just told you exactly the standard involved in this discussion and gave you permission to intervene if I violate that standard.

You seem to be asking for permission to troll, but I've been against that all along.  No one should have their posts trolled--Including me, right now. :( 

So you set up a thread, that from the very beginning  sounds as if you’re advocating the trolling of sales threads. Then, in said thread that you created, you complain that you yourself are being trolled, and in essence state that your “standard” of trolling is in some way different or superior to others trolling.

Yup that sounds like the world live in today :p

1 hour ago, KPR Comics said:

What is “pre-graded”?  Is that like pre-screened?

I assumed pre-graded was just a weird way of describing raw books but then the OP shouted at me for referring to raw books in one of my response posts 😢 

So now I have no idea what extremely narrow and specific point the OP is trying to make other than overcharging for comics is evidently evil. 

19 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

I assumed pre-graded was just a weird way of describing raw books but then the OP shouted at me for referring to raw books in one of my response posts 😢 

So now I have no idea what extremely narrow and specific point the OP is trying to make other than overcharging for comics is evidently evil. 

Here's what I got from it:

OP's point: Sales threads with very overpriced books (25% or greater markup over current eBay BINs) are just as erroneous as ones with no price listed and should therefore be treated the same (i.e. modded/removed).

Reality: Sales threads with very overpriced books (25% or greater markup over current eBay BINs) are just FISHING.

earlier this year a bunch of stuff went up in the golden and silver age buying section that many thought was underpriced. some made mention in the posts about them being underpriced. Pointing both scenarios out help the seller understand what is a better price to sell, but only one of those scenarios seem to be appropriate to talk about. (shrug)

11 minutes ago, justafan said:

Here's what I got from it:

OP's point: Sales threads with very overpriced books 

Overpriced pre-graded books :sumo:

9 minutes ago, oldbsturgeon said:

earlier this year a bunch of stuff went up in the golden and silver age buying section that many thought was underpriced. some made mention in the posts about them being underpriced. Pointing both scenarios out help the seller understand what is a better price to sell, but only one of those scenarios seem to be appropriate to talk about. (shrug)

Technically both are inappropriate. 

1 hour ago, lightninglad said:

So you set up a thread, that from the very beginning  sounds as if you’re advocating the trolling of sales threads. Then, in said thread that you created, you complain that you yourself are being trolled, and in essence state that your “standard” of trolling is in some way different or superior to others trolling.

Yup that sounds like the world live in today :p

Have said all along I wasn’t endorsing trolling.  Even looking at my first post again that’s pretty clear to me, but I guess you see what you want to see. 

If your board is full of trolls then, yes, you aren’t going to be able to have honest discussions of price, or anything else really, and then my initial premise falls apart. 

12 hours ago, Poekaymon said:

Laugh, and here I thought Beyonder was bad.  He actually read the posts.

What you are describing, my friend, is straight up trolling.  That is the very thing I have repeatedly said that I do not condone, and which expressly is not a part of this conversation.  You might know that if you actually bothered to look at the conversation before spewing off on page 13.  In fact, maybe you're trolling me right now.  That makes sense.  Time to see if this board has an ignore function.

You wanna stop bringing me into this?

If you have something to say to me, say it.(shrug)

1 hour ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

You wanna stop bringing me into this?

If you have something to say to me, say it.(shrug)

I do i do......when we getting a sales thread from you!! :busy:lol

Edited by SushiX

4 hours ago, F For Fake said:

I'm very much hoping that you posted this in jest, and are not sitting over there with a very dour and righteous expression, thinking that in any way this quote is applicable to people paying too much for comic books. That would be hilarious, true, but also terribly sad. But at this point I truly can't tell if you're on a high horse, or just high.

I think I have been pretty measured in my responses to the vast majority of the people in this thread.  I guess if I can only choose between high horse and high, I'll go with high horse.

He said his life philosophy was not to bother people--I made a quip for an alternate life philosophy.  Any serious arguments, if anyone ever actually attempted to engage with me at all, were made 10 pages ago, so it's mostly lighthearted stuff at this point.  Though it may be that the people still checking this thread are only doing so to complain about anything I post whatsoever, so I suppose it's futile.

I am basing this comment off reading your initial post and a few other comments but admittedly did not read every single post through all 15 pages.

With that being said, I get what you are saying but I'm not sure there's anything to be done.  I can even say that I had 1 post removed by questioning a for sale thread where someone said the book was much higher grade then it really was.  I chimed in with saying that its a nice book but not XX condition the seller stated.  I thought it was my place to say something but alas, it is up to the seller and interested parties to negotiate and my post was rightly removed.  Sellers have the right to list their books how they please as in anywhere else whether its at a con or on another selling avenue like eBay, Instagram or Mercari.  

Let overpriced books sit there or let an interested buyer convince the seller to come down on the price.  Most sales threads and sellers here are very fair and more then reasonable to work with and that's where i'll spend my focus on rather then caring about any threads that may seem overpriced.  I don't care for every sales thread but that's my choice to interact, attempt to purchase or work with a seller.  Some of the feeding frenzys on sales threads are wild to me and in a sense mimic what I see in other ways like overpriced books on Instagram auctions or Comiclink auctions ending way above FMV.  My assumption for the future of this forum is that it will become more and more like other avenues of selling where there will be more of an overlap and similarities in pricing and structure then actual differences.