• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let's talk about out-of-touch pricing and forum ettiquette.
7 7

397 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, thehumantorch said:

Value/price is subjective and affected by other variables like reputation of the seller, shipping costs, etc.  His point is that if you allow discussion of value/price in sales threads he could argue prices in your sales thread and troll you.  Trust me, there are people here who don't like each other and would embrace the opportunity to 'discuss' prices in sales threads.  

I understand.

8 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

Value/price is subjective and affected by other variables like reputation of the seller, shipping costs, etc.  His point is that if you allow discussion of value/price in sales threads he could argue prices in your sales thread and troll you.  Trust me, there are people here who don't like each other and would embrace the opportunity to 'discuss' prices in sales threads.  

Exactly. I dont mind paying extra for a book from some here, because I know the kind of care I get with shipping. I put their reputations high on my list.

On 7/5/2020 at 11:35 AM, Poekaymon said:

My point was just that there was no reason to be defensive.  As I've said repeatedly, I identify more as a seller, and I just thought it was an interesting topic.  You come back with how people are defending the community, and how people have forged this fine place, that I now enjoy, through years of blood, sweat, and tears.  What you seem to be failing to grasp is: I am a part of the community.  Fundamentally, we are all more alike than we are different--we all want the hobby to survive.  On that note, feel free to have the last word.   

Interesting how this forum can be a microcosm...  :whistle:

5 hours ago, joeypost said:

Why would anyone care if I came on the boards asking $15,000 for a raw ROM #1? Why? I did enough to make myself look foolish without any added input. 

If I don't like what I see...I keep on steppin'. 

For some reason, that made me think of this...keep-on-truckin.thumb.jpg.61927d53173341beb3c525d9202b2432.jpg

15 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

I'm waiting for the Thread approval board to oversee what threads are allowed to be posted and which ones aren't.  

That's one way to handle it.  You could also just make it so no one can post unless they registered before 2010 or have 10,000+ posts.  But if it makes you feel any better, I have certainly learned my lesson.

17 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

I'm waiting for the Thread approval board to oversee what threads are allowed to be posted and which ones aren't.  

Bob,  this one seems to have struck a nerve with you.  

Poek - not sure if this has been covered,  but Bob has sold a comic or two in his time.  

Maybe part of the confrontational tone your recieving is because allot of these guys are professionals with years and years of experience. It's a savvy group of buyers and sellers that are much closer to the market than you or I.   We aren't in a position to tell guys like Bob how to price their inventory.  

That said, I hope this thread wasn't too discouraging.  These forums are a great place to learn,  network, and pick up unique and hard to find books.  

3 hours ago, KCOComics said:

Bob,  this one seems to have struck a nerve with you.  

Poek - not sure if this has been covered,  but Bob has sold a comic or two in his time.  

Maybe part of the confrontational tone your recieving is because allot of these guys are professionals with years and years of experience. It's a savvy group of buyers and sellers that are much closer to the market than you or I.   We aren't in a position to tell guys like Bob how to price their inventory.  

That said, I hope this thread wasn't too discouraging.  These forums are a great place to learn,  network, and pick up unique and hard to find books.  

I agree.  And I didn't mean that I was leaving.  CGC is the best grading company, and this forum is great, and has a lot of knowledgeable, respectful people.  But this thread has also shown me that it has several who are not, and at least a few who are outright trolls, and I have learned my lesson with regard to attempting to engage with them.  So I may still start a topic on something that I find interesting, like this, but I'll be more selective in responses.  Plus this was just too much work :)

But, yes, you are right that it is because they are sellers.  But just being a seller isn't the whole story, it's that some are very insecure sellers who have great difficulty discussing something rationally if it has the potential for any change.  It's a bit of a shame because this is a message board, and not eBay or Craigslist, but c'est la vie.  

And correct me if I'm wrong, but no one in this thread is a CGC employee or even a moderator of this forum.  If that's true, then regardless of when any of us joined, or whether we have 6 posts or 60,000, we're all collectors on a forum for a private company.  So unless I'm missing something, this forum doesn't just exist for Bob to sell his books, and newbies are free to post topics, like this one, without breaking any rules. 

The thread had some potential to make people think about the current rules but I think the only outcome was to destroy the perception of the OP.  It’s been awhile since a newb has come across with the right mixture of cocky and distain to make my gag reflex kick in.

6 hours ago, Poekaymon said:

I agree.  And I didn't mean that I was leaving.  CGC is the best grading company, and this forum is great, and has a lot of knowledgeable, respectful people.  But this thread has also shown me that it has several who are not, and at least a few who are outright trolls, and I have learned my lesson with regard to attempting to engage with them.  So I may still start a topic on something that I find interesting, like this, but I'll be more selective in responses.  Plus this was just too much work :)

But, yes, you are right that it is because they are sellers.  But just being a seller isn't the whole story, it's that some are very insecure sellers who have great difficulty discussing something rationally if it has the potential for any change.  It's a bit of a shame because this is a message board, and not eBay or Craigslist, but c'est la vie.  

And correct me if I'm wrong, but no one in this thread is a CGC employee or even a moderator of this forum.  If that's true, then regardless of when any of us joined, or whether we have 6 posts or 60,000, we're all collectors on a forum for a private company.  So unless I'm missing something, this forum doesn't just exist for Bob to sell his books, and newbies are free to post topics, like this one, without breaking any rules. 

I think you're on to something about being more selective in responses. There were times when I wanted to respond to this thread but had the sense you were micromanaging it. You wanted to thread to go somewhere - but I'm still not sure where. Did you actually want to listen to others or did you just want to vent? 

16 minutes ago, stynxno said:

I think you're on to something about being more selective in responses. There were times when I wanted to respond to this thread but had the sense you were micromanaging it. You wanted to thread to go somewhere - but I'm still not sure where. Did you actually want to listen to others or did you just want to vent? 

I mostly responded to people who quoted me and/or asked me direct questions (like you just did).  I wasn't really looking at that as micromanaging--just being responsive.  In my defense, whenever anyone posts in the thread I get a super loud gong notification.  :) But yeah I did listen, and for the most part, a lot of it made sense, especially the people who just said that it wasn't possible due to trolling/animosity between board members.  That does seem totally plausible to me now.

Edited by Poekaymon