• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let's talk about out-of-touch pricing and forum ettiquette.
7 7

397 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Poekaymon said:

I mostly responded to people who quoted me and/or asked me direct questions (like you just did).  I wasn't really looking at that as micromanaging--just being responsive.  In my defense, whenever anyone posts in the thread I get a super loud gong notification.  :) But yeah I did listen, and for the most part, a lot of it made sense, especially the people who just said that it wasn't possible due to trolling/animosity between board members.  That does seem totally plausible to me now.

Education comes with a price... :whistle:

22 hours ago, Poekaymon said:

I think I have been pretty measured in my responses to the vast majority of the people in this thread.  I guess if I can only choose between high horse and high, I'll go with high horse.

He said his life philosophy was not to bother people--I made a quip for an alternate life philosophy.  Any serious arguments, if anyone ever actually attempted to engage with me at all, were made 10 pages ago, so it's mostly lighthearted stuff at this point.  Though it may be that the people still checking this thread are only doing so to complain about anything I post whatsoever, so I suppose it's futile.

I stand by the overall point I was trying to make, but I do apologize if I was unnecessarily snarky. I am not always a nice person, but I am trying to do better. :foryou: Enjoy your time on the boards. Lots to learn here. Hopefully you learned some things in this thread as well. 

I liked my high horse joke though.

17 pages of replies to a new person on the boards who seems to think everyone should just agree with them (i come to this conclusion after reading the first five or so replies in which OP immediately dismissed the first response that didn't agree with him, I haven't bothered reading past that)

If you don't like the price of the item being offered for sale, don't buy it and move along. I don't feel any more discussion is necessary. This isn't facebook.

3 minutes ago, speedcake said:

17 pages of replies to a new person on the boards who seems to think everyone should just agree with them (i come to this conclusion after reading the first five or so replies in which OP immediately dismissed the first response that didn't agree with him, I haven't bothered reading past that)

If you don't like the price of the item being offered for sale, don't buy it and move along. I don't feel any more discussion is necessary. This isn't facebook.

Duly noted.

I don't need my opinion to be duly noted by anyone. :D   But hopefully you've seen, via the valuable wisdom so many others have shared (I kept reading some) why your initial thoughts on this topic just don't work, and your suggestions are unnecessary.

What prompted this anyway? I don't see many examples of what I'd consider egregiously priced books on the forums here, and the ones that do get posted generally are ignored and get quickly buried by new sale threads. It just isn't a problem that needs addressing here, IMO.

Just now, speedcake said:

I don't need my opinion to be duly noted by anyone. :D   But hopefully you've seen, via the valuable wisdom so many others have shared (I kept reading some) why your initial thoughts on this topic just don't work, and your suggestions are unnecessary.

What prompted this anyway? I don't see many examples of what I'd consider egregiously priced books on the forums here, and the ones that do get posted generally are ignored and get quickly buried by new sale threads. It just isn't a problem that needs addressing here, IMO.

Triply noted.

5 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

Clearly you are missing the big picture here.

Time is of the essence for buyers on the boards.

For those not following the rules here is what I think they are (I am joking but part of me thinks that some of these are brought into a negotiation)  Some of these are absolutely brought into a sales negotiation on ebay.

1).  GPA last sale pricing up to 20% over last sale is allowable. 

2).  Because this is a Zero cost platform whereby no seller fee is collected or sales tax you should price 10% below GPA since you are not entitled to keep that additional cost saving.  Oh and if the State sales tax authority catches you again blame the seller.    

3).  Because this is a zero cost platform to the seller discounts should be encouraged even though you are listing 10% below last GPA.

4).  Because the seller might be selling to buy more books and probably not declaring any of this income on their tax return the seller should discount even more.  

5).  Paypal payments should be friends and family because god forbid a company that gets you the money quickly should profit off your sale.

6).  If paypal friends and family is not used seller should eat that cost because god forbid a buyer eat that cost of convenience.

7).  Postage should be free,  again,  why should the buyer pay for this.    

8).  Canadian declarations should be low since we don't like to pay duty our government levies and oh if the seller gets fined too bad for them.

If I missed something please update the list.

There’s also the repeat customer discount too

12 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

For those not following the rules here is what I think they are (I am joking but part of me thinks that some of these are brought into a negotiation)  Some of these are absolutely brought into a sales negotiation on ebay.

2).  Because this is a Zero cost platform whereby no seller fee is collected or sales tax you should price 10% below GPA since you are not entitled to keep that additional cost saving.  Oh and if the State sales tax authority catches you again blame the seller.    

3).  Because this is a zero cost platform to the seller discounts should be encouraged even though you are listing 10% below last GPA.

4).  Because the seller might be selling to buy more books and probably not declaring any of this income on their tax return the seller should discount even more.  

5).  Paypal payments should be friends and family because god forbid a company that gets you the money quickly should profit off your sale.

6).  If paypal friends and family is not used seller should eat that cost because god forbid a buyer eat that cost of convenience.

8).  Canadian declarations should be low since we don't like to pay duty our government levies and oh if the seller gets fined too bad for them.

Is this in regards to pre-graded, graded, post-graded, or reverse-graded books? 

57 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

2).  Because this is a Zero cost platform whereby no seller fee is collected or sales tax you should price 10% below GPA since you are not entitled to keep that additional cost saving.  Oh and if the State sales tax authority catches you blame the seller.    

9)  A free Puppy

1 hour ago, blazingbob said:

2).  Because this is a Zero cost platform whereby no seller fee is collected or sales tax you should price 10% below GPA since you are not entitled to keep that additional cost saving.  Oh and if the State sales tax authority catches you blame the seller.    

You are aggregating a nice list of petty negotiation/haggling which should be kept to PM, as a lot of it is specific to a particular purchaser anyway, and it isn't going to double the price of a book.  Sometimes you have to apply a little common sense, like a reasonable adult.  If the board just has too many trolls, bitter boardies, and dishonest buyers who will use any excuse to ruin a thread, then, sure, any framework based upon reasonableness is a non-starter.    

Edited by Poekaymon

9 hours ago, 1Cool said:

The thread had some potential to make people think about the current rules but I think the only outcome was to destroy the perception of the OP.  It’s been awhile since a newb has come across with the right mixture of cocky and distain to make my gag reflex kick in.

It's disdain with a "d"...sorry to correct but I feel if you're going to put someone down (no matter the reason) in public forum you should spell the insult correctly.

The OP would be right in the case something commonly available being egregiously priced yes but I don't think that happens all too often here. 

The thing is not everything is either truly "rare" or widely available with 10+ copies on Ebay. You could have a situation where an SS book is listed here while others in same grade are on Ebay but maybe the signature here is more appealing than the ones on Ebay? There are high grade books mostly silver bronze that fall in some in between zone. You may have an example of a 9.8 bronze age book with a census of ~40 in that grade and only a few listings on Ebay. The one listed here may have better eye appeal than those on Ebay or PQ so the discount you desire may not apply especially if that particular book is chronically miswraped. Then there are speculation books which the seller may have a legitimate reason not to apply a discount. So it's not always so cut & dry 2c

11 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

The OP would be right in the case something commonly available being egregiously priced yes but I don't think that happens all too often here. 

The thing is not everything is either truly "rare" or widely available with 10+ copies on Ebay. You could have a situation where an SS book is listed here while others in same grade are on Ebay but maybe the signature here is more appealing than the ones on Ebay? There are high grade books mostly silver bronze that fall in some in between zone. You may have an example of a 9.8 bronze age book with a census of ~40 in that grade and only a few listings on Ebay. The one listed here may have better eye appeal than those on Ebay or PQ so the discount you desire may not apply especially if that particular book is chronically miswraped. Then there are speculation books which the seller may have a legitimate reason not to apply a discount. So it's not always so cut & dry 2c

A well reasoned & respectful response........

K8Q4kQY.gif

28 minutes ago, Comical Situations said:

It's disdain with a "d"...sorry to correct but I feel if you're going to put someone down (no matter the reason) in public forum you should spell the insult correctly.

gag.gif

Edited by 1Cool

But seriously - thanks for the spelling correction.  I kept messing up that word so bad that autocorrect didn't come to my aid.

Edited by 1Cool