• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let's talk about out-of-touch pricing and forum ettiquette.
7 7

397 posts in this topic

On 7/4/2020 at 11:21 PM, Joe Ankenbauer said:

I found out the hard way the perils of shipping to Canada. I sold something to a person in Canada; when I looked at shipping prices, I found that UPS provided the best rate. When I was asked the value of the contents, I said $200, which was accurate. What I didn't know was that I SHOULD have mentioned that the contents were used. So, the package arrives in Canada, and the buyer receives a $100+ duty. Needless to say, said person was "madder than a wet hen." I ended up refunding $50 to him to make the buyer satisfied. I certainly lost money on that transaction.

I still haven't decided who is more at fault regarding this transaction. Was it me, for not knowing the proper way to game the system to avoid a high duty? Or was it the buyer, who knew full well about duties, for not telling me how to ship the package to avoid a high duty? I guess we were both at fault, but I'm the one who took it in the shorts.

Now that I am "in the know", I may consider shipping to Canada again at some time. But I will ask the buyer to make the proper procedure clear to me before I do.

UPS is the absolute worst shipper for Canadians, they add in all sorts of additional brokerage fees to Canadians.  I have received packages worth $40 and paid an equal amount in broker fees and taxes.  I avoid them like the plague.   If your package is worth a high value, its not quite as bad percentage wise, but its still way higher than any other carrier.  USPS, FedEx ad DHL are all superior.

8 hours ago, jhutton2 said:

UPS is the absolute worst shipper for Canadians, they add in all sorts of additional brokerage fees to Canadians.  I have received packages worth $40 and paid an equal amount in broker fees and taxes.  I avoid them like the plague.   If your package is worth a high value, its not quite as bad percentage wise, but its still way higher than any other carrier.  USPS, FedEx ad DHL are all superior.

UPS is the absolute worst shipper, period.  Shipping and receiving.  

:hi: Hi Jason.  It has been a while.  Hope all is well.

On 7/4/2020 at 10:12 AM, SushiX said:

Main thing is they can ask for whatever they want and if someone doesn't like it they can just move on.(thumbsu I don't think their doing anything wrong. Not picking a fight here just adding my 2c

Didnt you used to write for EGM?

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

Picture selling threads being like someone's store front or a booth at a flea market or comic show.

You don't walk into someone's business and just start hammering away at a seller and arguing price in front of other people do you? It's considered bad manners.

If you're walking through a grocery store and the eggs are too expensive, do you start a discussion on the open store floor among all the other customers about it? Not really.

You just decide you'll pass and move on and shop elsewhere.

That's what someone's selling thread is like.

I realize that it's tempting and might even feel good for a moment to tell someone they're wacked, but you have no idea what they paid for that item, how motivated they are to sell it or whatever else. The internet has made a lot of people uncouth in the way they handle people's sales but just because a lot of people do it, it doesn't mean it's OK.

The polite way to talk to someone about price is privately, between you and them just like you would if you were negotiating a price out in the real world.

Not with everyone watching.

That's how I see it.

It was never about "negotiating"--I agree that should be done in a PM.  It was about something really strange--something that I am pretty sure you, VintageComics, having seen your threads, would never be guilty of. 

So in your hypothetical, if those eggs were $40 for a dozen, and I saw someone picking them up, I absolutely would say something, if nothing else just out of curiosity about what makes those eggs so damn special.  I wouldn't knock them out of their hand--they have the right to pay $40 for a dozen eggs if they want, but we could have a brief, civil chat about it.  That's just being neighborly.  It's all in the execution. 

The key difference between me and the majority of people in this thread is that I was coming from it from a position of reasonableness and civility, which I see now just cannot apply here.  If people are generally reasonable, then 1) this scenario would be really rare and 2) it could actually be useful (i.e., the seller may actually appreciate the feedback).  Whereas most people here think you have too many trolls and animosity between board members that you can never actually have a civil discussion, so it would simply devolve into trolling and ruin even threads where stuff was fairly priced and there really shouldn't have been any discussion.  Ironically, based on some of what I observed in this thread, that does seem likely.  And that's okay--it was never an attempt to change the rules, just a topic for discussion.  (As was said repeatedly.)  Sadly, culture these days, especially in America, is pretty hostile to dispassionate reflection.

6 hours ago, waaaghboss said:

If I remember correctly, he was a made up reviewer, and the other reviewers took turns writing his "reviews" :)

He was real! I just looked him up. Lol he even has my first name.🤣

Screenshot_20200725-075246_Chrome.jpg