• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let's talk about out-of-touch pricing and forum ettiquette.
7 7

397 posts in this topic

Someone was selling a couple Omnibus’ on the boards recently and IMO they were overpriced because I know reprints are coming and I didn’t want someone to pay double cover price because they are seemingly Out of Print to the less knowledgeable collector. I really had to hold back to not “threadkrap” but I figured it’s up to the buyer to do their own research if they are interested. 

Heads up though, Marvel is reprinting a lot of omnibus lately and into next year. Do your research before paying more than cover price. 

1 hour ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

I’d like to see the sellers response to that suggested PM:popcorn:

I'm sure I'm different than others, but if I had just got started with selling, I would welcome advice on how to improve my sales. That is, as long as it isn't snarky. hm

1 minute ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

I'm sure I'm different than others, but if I had just got started with selling, I would welcome advice on how to improve my sales. That is, as long as it isn't snarky. hm

The advice was to lower your prices....

1 hour ago, THE_BEYONDER said:
1 hour ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

Not a good idea. Once see this post with a ridiculous price, should we start shaming the seller?

If you're really concerned, use a PM. Praise in public, criticize in private.

And using the proper tone would be a good idea. "Sir or Madam, I believe that your price for XYZ Comics #1 is excessive. If you look at the links I provided, you can see that your book is listed at twice the price of the last Ebay sale. You are, however, free to charge what you want."

I was :baiting: the OP and being sarcastic.

I thought the “:whistle:“ made that clear.

:sorry:
I’d like to see the sellers response to that suggested PM:popcorn:

Next time use more smilies to improve clarity 

29 minutes ago, punksdropdirtysrh said:

Someone was selling a couple Omnibus’ on the boards recently and IMO they were overpriced because I know reprints are coming and I didn’t want someone to pay double cover price because they are seemingly Out of Print to the less knowledgeable collector. I really had to hold back to not “threadkrap” but I figured it’s up to the buyer to do their own research if they are interested. 

Heads up though, Marvel is reprinting a lot of omnibus lately and into next year. Do your research before paying more than cover price. 

I think you're thinking of me. Yes, the prices I had listed for these Omnibuses were high, but I based them on recent Ebay sales.

I sold a copy of Black Knight/Yellow Claw Masterworks for $127.50. I sold Spider-Man Omnibus Vol. 1 for #127.50 and Spider-Man Omnibus #2 for $230. I sold Golden Age Superman Omnibus Vol. 1 for $90. I sold Ultimate Spider-Man Hardcovers (11 total) for $500. I sold X-Men Omnibus Vol. 1 for $460 and X-Men Omnibus Vol. 2 for $190. I sold Fantastic Four Omnibus Vol. 2 for $180; I sold Fantastic Four Omnibus Volume 1 for $40 (which was a BIG mistake). I sold a dozen Marvel Masterworks for $550. I also sold Futurama Comics #1 - #80 for $200, and Bart Simpson's Treehouse of Horror comics #1 - #21 for $180.

If you look at these sales, I think that you would agree that the prices I listed here on the boards were NOT out of line.

2 hours ago, Bird said:

maybe next 4/1 I will post something like this

"This is the cgc sales forum. CGC is the industry standard and the board members here are among the most knowledgeable and discerning in the hobby. Sellers here offer books that you cannot find at most conventions as well as more common books with great qualities prized by the true collector such as page quality, centering, wrap and the like. However buyers on this forum, a forum for the elite collector, typically expect a discount from prices realized at conventions, ebay, or auction houses. GPA is often used to convince sellers to offer books "at 10% less than last sale" regardless of whether the book is a true comp or not and ignoring the fact that gpa is a range of values and not any one number or data point. So moving forward buyers should expect to pay above avg gpa for what are typically above avg books. Buyers should expect that the superior books are the ones sold at the price points in the upper portion of the range and should expect to pay for them appropriately rather than expect sellers to consistently price on the lower end of past sales curve."

or something like that. It is as valid as the "overpriced" argument.

anyway, that is more time than I usually spend on something that is a moot point but there you go

So while I see this as a silly post I guess, I sort of figured that was the actual stance people took here in terms of selling.

12 minutes ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

Well, if I was attempting to sell a book for $100, and the same book was selling on Ebay for $50, I would appreciate the information that my asking price is way over FMV.

Would you prefer that someone mentions this directly in your sales thread? which I believe goes against decorum of the boards and generally frowned upon.

14 minutes ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

Well, if I was attempting to sell a book for $100, and the same book was selling on Ebay for $50, I would appreciate the information that my asking price is way over FMV.

Where would you have gotten the $100 price in the first place????

I've collecting for 40+ years, but I would be hard pressed to answer a question such as, "Would you sell me your X-Men #1 CGC 6.0 for $7500?" Since I just checked for my bimonthly insurance check, I know that would be low, as my CGC 3.0 is worth around $4800. But could I give you an exact price? No. This is why I use GoCollect, GPAnalyis, and Ebay sold prices.

FYI - GoCollect = $10,500; GPAnalysis = $11,900; EBay last sale = $11,900.

7 minutes ago, allthingskryptonite said:

Would you prefer that someone mentions this directly in your sales thread? which I believe goes against decorum of the boards and generally frowned upon.

Where did I say that? I wrote a post with this phrase, "Praise in public, criticize in private." I think that should answer your question.

7 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Where would you have gotten the $100 price in the first place????

Well, in my case, I would have known to check GoCollect, GPAnalysis, and/or Ebay sales. But, if you're not a collector and you're not aware of those sites, it would be an easy mistake to make.

4 hours ago, Poekaymon said:

I'm speaking generally.  So let's just say there are 10 copies of something up right now with a BIN of $300.  If someone comes here to post, my personal opinion is that they should put it at 10% or so less.  But I'd be fine with even $300 or even $310 if they want.  But if they come here and post it at, say, $400, then that's just spam, and as worthless as if they had posted no price at all or didn't put shipping rules or any of the other things that will get a post pulled around here.  Just one man's opinion.

If it's a slabbed book and from GPA/GoCollect/eBay you know that the FMV ~300$ then I can understand why as a potential buyer you are displeased. 

But if it is a raw book I will generally prefer to buy here than in eBay.

I once bought a raw book graded as 9.0 from eBay. 8 months down the line when I wanted to sell it via Mycomicshop, their grade for the comic was 6.5 -- due to a flaw that I had missed altogether.

In contrast, few months back I bought a book as a raw 7.0 from a boardie, that when I sold, was eventually graded as 7.5 by Mycomicshop.

Although I have cherry picked extreme examples, I am more confident buying a potentially correctly graded raw book from a boardie here maybe even at a premium over FMV than on eBay

4 minutes ago, allthingskryptonite said:

If it's a slabbed book and from GPA/GoCollect/eBay you know that the FMV ~300$ then I can understand why as a potential buyer you are displeased. 

But if it is a raw book I will generally prefer to buy here than in eBay.

I once bought a raw book graded as 9.0 from eBay. 8 months down the line when I wanted to sell it via Mycomicshop, their grade for the comic was 6.5 -- due to a flaw that I had missed altogether.

In contrast, few months back I bought a book as a raw 7.0 from a boardie, that when I sold, was eventually graded as 7.5 by Mycomicshop.

Although I have cherry picked extreme examples, I am more confident buying a potentially correctly graded raw book from a boardie here maybe even at a premium over FMV than on eBay

Yeah, raws are different.  I think somewhere in these 6 pages I clarified that I was talking about pregraded books, and specifically pregraded books for which there were copies up right now with BINs, and specifically not getting into raws or grading or any of that.  For the record, I have sold more on here than I have bought, so I guess I'm technically a seller.  :)

Edited by Poekaymon

This site is better than most. Facebook is absolutely brutal and eBay is always a wide array. I find prices here fair to good. The odd overpriced or same as eBay price but those I personally ignore. If I can buy it now on eBay for $49.99, I am not paying someone here the same. But if you offer it for $35-40 or better, I am game!