• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How does CGC handle aftermarket UPC stickers?
2 2

17 posts in this topic

On 7/5/2020 at 2:42 PM, Stephen Beer said:

Let's say that the issue is in 9.2.   Is the UPC sticker (which I'm guessing is aftermarket at the comic shop that was using scanners) going to knock it down any more? 

Screen Shot 2020-07-05 at 1.39.14 PM.png

20 minutes ago, joeypost said:

Qualified grade. 

I completely agree with Joey he is correct.  Here is an example of one of mine 20200709_071315.thumb.jpg.e238406aa706f24b54f43205986493d2.jpg

which for me is fine as I have been specifically getting some of the stickered upc on the Superman Death set , but when it comes to value or resale the Qualified label and sticker can make a lot of others lose interest.  Others like to see some of the stickers as it is some of its distribution history. 

59 minutes ago, Stephen Beer said:

Thanks to you both. Any idea why those Supermans were stickered?

You are welcome.  Most of these are thought to have been stickered by book stores they were sold through Barnes and Noble,  Walden Bookstores,  ETC as these stickers contain "EN" in the barcode and most books were ESN barcodes.  Another note on these is that most of them were direct editions that had the sticker placed over the direct box. I have currently found a stickered version for 3 of the 4 prints of the Superman #75. Only one I have not found a stickered version is the 3rd print,  although those were distributed in a pack to Walden Bookstores and actually had a Newsstand Barcode printed on the cover 20190823_031803.thumb.jpg.c074713f6c9cbde2c335285d6f59e28a.jpg20190823_031814.thumb.jpg.b4c4dd78bea8cfc452fd8f8c02eeacc8.jpg

37 minutes ago, Stephen Beer said:

How easily, do you think. Professionally? Or by an amateur?

If you want it removed then professionally would be the only real way to completely not only remove the sticker,  but the residue left. I  might also recommend if you are looking for that you can look at who has replied to your questions ( not myself) and you may find you have been talking with , in my opinion,  one of the best in the buisness!

Notice that the barcode on the Sandman sticker ends in 11, which corresponds with its November date.  There were several non-newsstand DCs, like the 1988 Flash Gordon limited series, where professional UPC decals like this were used.  Usually, as with Sandman and Flash Gordon, these were series that did not carry the Comics Code seal and produced primarily for the Direct market.

Anyway, I do have a couple of comics where a decal had been removed without damaging the book, but a small amount of residue remained.  I cut small pieces of wax paper and applied them over the residue temporarily, to keep the cover from sticking to anything.  It's a good temporary fix -- easily removed, and allows some transparency.

Edited by EC Star&Bar

5 hours ago, EC Star&Bar said:

Notice that the barcode on the Sandman sticker ends in 11, which corresponds with its November date.  There were several non-newsstand DCs, like the 1988 Flash Gordon limited series, where professional UPC decals like this were used.  Usually, as with Sandman and Flash Gordon, these were series that did not carry the Comics Code seal and produced primarily for the Direct market.

Anyway, I do have a couple of comics where a decal had been removed without damaging the book, but a small amount of residue remained.  I cut small pieces of wax paper and applied them over the residue temporarily, to keep the cover from sticking to anything.  It's a good temporary fix -- easily removed, and allows some transparency.

Sounds like you replaced one piece of paper (sticker cover) with another (wax paper). 

It's kind of an interesting development in comics. I generally collect SA and GA so I haven't run across this problem.

But since stickers were placed on by stores and shippers prior to the comic book being sold,  I wonder why they aren't viewed the way store stamps and date stamps are with older books?  

In any event, if you want to have it removed,  joeypost's reputation speaks for itself. 

There are a handful of others I could suggest that are top notch. 

Edited by KCOComics

On 7/9/2020 at 12:05 PM, joeypost said:

Someone who knows what they are doing. Which still eliminates half that claim they can. 

Just like a bandaid, right?

On 7/5/2020 at 3:42 PM, Stephen Beer said:

Let's say that the issue is in 9.2.   Is the UPC sticker (which I'm guessing is aftermarket at the comic shop that was using scanners) going to knock it down any more? 

Screen Shot 2020-07-05 at 1.39.14 PM.png

Yeah, this is a lost cause if the goal is to get it cgc graded. If you want to jump onto the corinthian speculation before the show hits netflix, your best bet is to sell this one for whatever you get and buy another one now. Because any other option is just money spent that you wont get back. I just bought one locally, was still pretty cheap, so get another while you can.