• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fixing spine roll worth it for a better grade ?
1 1

12 posts in this topic

Hi Guys.

Here is a decent of copy of FF#2 graded 3.5 blue label with a bad a spine roll.

Would it be worth the money to have it professionnally pressed and remove the spne roll to hope for a 4.0 maybe even 4.5 CGC grade ?

What do you think ?

Thanks

Resized_20200705_121035 - Copie.jpg

Resized_20200705_121047 - Copie.jpg

Edited by migmtl76

I bought a Fantastic Four #3 which had a bad spine roll probably very much like the one you have professionally pressed. Doug Sulipa sold it to me as a 4.0 and he's a tough grader. (If you're thinking you may get a 5.0 after a press...this may help)?

17 hours ago, migmtl76 said:

Hi Guys.

Here is a decent of copy of FF#2 graded 3.5 blue label with a bad a spine roll.

Would it be worth the money to have it professionnally pressed and remove the spne roll to hope for a 4.0 maybe even 4.5 CGC grade ?

What do you think ?

Thanks

Here is an example of a book I have before and after that was sent to the hands of someone competent ( a board member here) and then graded.  Not sure if it is okay to advertise his name openly but if you want to PM me I can share.

20170919_122820.thumb.jpg.73bfd4ca0ae18a46d703b053d682308b.jpg

20170919_122727.thumb.jpg.fc57fefdacf63d14bf9a365edd1f9a5a.jpg

0902181844581.jpg

Edited by telerites

2 hours ago, gadzukes said:

Check out this thread.

Comic went from a 6.5 to a 7.0 even though the CF became detached. :whatthe:

I did a little research, and I did find other certified examples from this era that are comparable in grade...  (shrug)

1 hour ago, The Lions Den said:

I did a little research, and I did find other certified examples from this era that are comparable in grade...  (shrug)

Detached CFs at higher grades?  I always had it in my mind that 6.0 was the cut off for a detached CF unless you wanted a Green Label at a higher grade.

6 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

Detached CFs at higher grades?  I always had it in my mind that 6.0 was the cut off for a detached CF unless you wanted a Green Label at a higher grade.

I didn't see any graded above a 7.0, however. I guess that's the cutoff point...

7 hours ago, gadzukes said:

Check out this thread.

Comic went from a 6.5 to a 7.0 even though the CF became detached. :whatthe:

Wait a sec, that 7.0 may be a qualified 7.0, which I think is the case here. CGC always has issues with special labels made for "universal" grades that take precedence in their systems. So since there are no qualified pedigree gold labels, this got the gold but is probably a qualified comic. Pretty sure that's what is gong on here. 

But that's the thing, Green labels probably don't exist yet for the new Gold Pedigree label. So there was a mixup, as we saw in the Yellow Marvel labels that qualified books got. Specialized labels checked in the system will take priority over the green (since you did pay for that different label). CGC needs to make a qualified version of that label. Unless that exists (which I have yet to see), that's what I think is going on here.

Edited by William-James88

12 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Here is what tou have to do to know if its worthwhile:

Buy the grader notes from CGC and check what defects they mention. If they include defects which cannot be removed (like staining) then you will know that there is more bringing down the grade than just the spine roll.

Amazing advice. I didn't know you could buy the grader notes even if the comic changes hands