• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your earliest 1st app. pickup(s)
1 1

47 posts in this topic

Although Alex Summers appeared in X-Men 54, his first appearance as Havok was in issue 58, a comic book I bought while on holiday in the Isle of Man in 1974. You could still find a lot of Silver Age comics turning up in paper shops over here in the mid 70s. 

Bring an 80’s/90’s kid a lot of big 1st appearances were bought off the rack. First time I bought one from a bin was Marvel Team Up 65 on recommendation of Wizard Magazine. Found mine in a 10 cent bin, it had “Bill the kid” written in pencil on the cover. I think I sold it here on the boards

I really never bought new comics ever as a kid I was only interested in old stuff. When I was like 12 or so one of my first comics finds was a stack 50s Walt Disney's Comics and Stories for a quarter a piece and the first appearance of Gyro Gearloose was in there, like issue 150 or something? I forget.

In middle school, I saved some money and bought a NM- Showcase 30 (1st Aqualad) from a dealer in the back of the Overstreet Price Update (iirc). It arrived, looked great, was under Guide, and I was as happy as a middle school comic nerd can be having just scored his first high grade Silver minor key.

I took it to one of the monthly Dallas Fantasy Fair shows and showed it off to a dealer I had befriended who was big into Silver DC too. He quickly pointed out the color touch on the inside spine. I didn't even know restoration was a thing!

I was so upset, it never even occurred to me to send it back for a refund. I traded it at a loss that day on the show floor for a Batman Year Two set. I was so angry and  determined to make my money back, I spent the rest of the day working the dealers in the room -- buying, selling, trading like a shark -- until I had made up for my loss.

I'd love to know who sold that thing to me. lol

(I wish I could remember the dealer who pointed out the resto. Does anyone remember a dealer who used to frequent the Dallas shows in the late 80s/early 90s -- who was from, I think, Virginia or the Carolinas, and had a sizable ultra high-grade DC Silver collection? He was very picky about condition. Youngish? Blond-ish maybe? My memory fails me.)

Edited by BCarter27

As a kid,  I had all sorts of firsts. Punisher #1, War journal #1, ASM 300.  But I wasnt collecting and those got read,  beaten up and trashed as kids comics did. 

Silver surfer was my favorite character so my first collection was finding SS1 - 18 and fantastic four 48 - 50.  Not sure which ones I actually got first,  but I still have them all 20+ years later.  That was in the late 90s. I remember paying $40 for the SS1 at a local show.