• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your earliest 1st app. pickup(s)
1 1

47 posts in this topic

Richie Rich Cash #1 - 1st appearance of the diabolical Dr. N-R-Gee! He once cleverly snuck into Rich mansion by disguising himself as a floor lamp and having himself delivered. I was seven years old when my mom bought me this comic (for ten cents) at the used book store.

Bronze Age (1970-1979):Humor, Richie Rich Cash #1 File Copy (Harvey, 1974) CGC NM+ 9.6 Off-white to white pages....

I'm certainly on the younger side of collecting, but for me was probably the 1st Silk in Amazing Spider-Man #4 (2014). I was 17 at the time and finally had money to collect a couple series.  I always enjoyed Spider-Man as a kid and that was about when I started collecting comics. :)

Incredible Hulk 141 (first Doc Samson).  My uncle gave me a stack of comics and Mad magazines when I was 3 (?!?) that totally changed my life.  I think this was the only 1st appearance among them.... And what an impression this made on a 3 year old kid!  Just crazy.  Of course, it was a couple of years before I could read it - but I paged through it in awe often before I could!

Cover Thumbnail for The Incredible Hulk (Marvel, 1968 series) #141 [Regular Edition]

8 hours ago, BigDaddy1 said:

I'm certainly on the younger side of collecting, but for me was probably the 1st Silk in Amazing Spider-Man #4 (2014). I was 17 at the time and finally had money to collect a couple series.  I always enjoyed Spider-Man as a kid and that was about when I started collecting comics. :)

You're the future of the hobby.  No pressure.  :)

11 hours ago, oakman29 said:
23 hours ago, valiantman said:

:whatthe:   Incredible Hulk #1 is older than Amazing Fantasy #15.   :gossip:

I believe they came out nearly a couple months between each other in 1962

Sure - but I quoted @Robot Man who couldn't remember if Incredible Hulk #1 or Amazing Spider-Man #3 was first... and Amazing Spider-Man #3 was a year after Incredible Hulk #1.  My point is that ALL Spiders came after Incredible Hulk #1.

Edited by valiantman

8 hours ago, valiantman said:

Sure - but I quoted @Robot Man who couldn't remember if Incredible Hulk #1 or Amazing Spider-Man #3 was first... and Amazing Spider-Man #3 was a year after Incredible Hulk #1.  My point is that ALL Spiders came after Incredible Hulk #1.

I told you I am old. Either way sure beats Kool Aid Man...:baiting:

1 minute ago, Robot Man said:
9 hours ago, valiantman said:

I told you I am old. Either way sure beats Kool Aid Man...:baiting:

Yeah, but Kool Aid Man was free, and you had to spend 24 cents. :baiting:

:kidaround:

On 7/6/2020 at 12:38 AM, Ken Aldred said:

Although Alex Summers appeared in X-Men 54, his first appearance as Havok was in issue 58, a comic book I bought while on holiday in the Isle of Man in 1974. You could still find a lot of Silver Age comics turning up in paper shops over here in the mid 70s. 

Distribution in UK until 1974 was all over the place. I started collecting in 1973 with a pick up of twelve "brand new/mint" Marvels all dated 1969.

The disadvantage was it was impossible to read anything in continuity, my first Daredevil pick up was #97 the next was #60. I bought FF #111 and #129 in a shop, both new, together.

The advantage was you could find the odd gem. In 1974, in a corner shop in Swindon I picked up "brand new/mint" FF#48 for 8p (regular distributed Marvels were 7p at the time, 20c cover price ). A few weeks later at the same shop I picked up Spider-man #129 again "brand new/mint" for 8p despite the fact it wasn't officially distributed in UK.

This brings back some memories. I was at College and at lunchtine decided to wander into town. Went into a newsagent (or paper shop) and spotted this book on the shelf. I'd just got back into collecting and recognised the Miller name on the artwork. I paid 15p for the book......................

dd1.jpg

On 7/5/2020 at 4:29 PM, Artboy99 said:

I was 9, had a paper route and road my bike to the convenience store a mile up the road from the farm I lived on. On new comic day the lady that ran the store set aside comics for the kid she got to know. My book is Incredible Hulk 181.

I had purchased and read 180 and was excited to read about the new character, he didnt disappoint. I knew everyone would like him so I biked back to the store and bought all the copies she had! I had 5 copies now, and had cornered the market ( bought out one store... )

Well, that was certainly an ideal book to stock up on.  :applause:

Do you still have all 5 of your Hulk 181 copies or did you slowly sell them off in order to acquire other books over the years?  hm

8 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, that was certainly an ideal book to stock up on.  :applause:

Do you still have all 5 of your Hulk 181 copies or did you slowly sell them off in order to acquire other books over the years?  hm

Unfortunately since I was 9, most got beat and destroyed. doh!

I took one into the bath tub to read and dozed off and it was floating when I woke up.

Another became a surprise cutting mat as I was working on a school project and was cutting craft paper with a knife and when I lifted it up a bunch of red confetti dropped. A copy was under and I was unaware.

A third got chewed by my dog because after reading it for the 100th time  left it on the floor beside my bed.

I had 2 left that I kept. One got thrown away by my EX ( she threw away my entire comic collection!) I had a small pile of books in a drawer in my desk that she didn't know about that had a Hulk 181 in it and that copy I sold to buy something else.