• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your earliest 1st app. pickup(s)
1 1

47 posts in this topic

On 7/8/2020 at 12:24 PM, lou_fine said:

Come on, you people.................just went through this whole thread here and I still haven't seen anybody post their copies of Action 1 or 'Tec 27 yet.  :bigsmile:

Well, since nobody has come up with either an Action 1 or 'Tec 27 as their earliest 1st appearance book, I am not sure if this one here would qualify or not:

fun2.10a.jpg

No major character 1st appearances unless you count Mutt & Jeff as key characters, but still designated by Overstreet as the first modern day comic book issued way back in 1933.  Remember picking up my copy (not the copy pictured above) in a group of 16 books from a private collector during my first trip down to the SD Con way back in the very early 90's as I had been really into the historical comics at the time and simply couldn't pass this book up.  :takeit:

Sadly, all of these early pre-hero newspaper reprint books have lost popularity over the decades and the book is probably worth no more than what I had paid for it all those long years ago, even though it's still a definite keeper for me.  :luhv: 

Edited by lou_fine

11 minutes ago, JazzMan said:

First appearance of the Human Torch, The Angel and Ka-Zar.  Too bad it's only the second appearance of the Sub Mariner.

MC1.jpeg

Very nice looking copy !

Took my paper route money starting back in the late 70's and rode the bike ~3 miles to the LCS where I bought mid to high grade Hulk 181, FF 48, GSX 1, HoS 92 off the wall for prob around $10-20

Ones I picked up off the rack during my visits were DCP 26, NTT 2, Thor 337, DD 168

To this day I still remember dreaming about those in the glass case under the cash register when checking out - Showcase 4, FF 1 etc   wish I could remember what they were going for back then