• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Resubmit or not?

9 posts in this topic

I recently submitted a Marvel Super-Heroes #8 that came back an 8.0. I bought it from a guy online and paid $100 for it because he felt it was NM. I am trying to decide if I should resubmit with a press? How much of a bump could I reasonably get? Here are the grader notes:

light bends to cover
light creasing to cover
light spine stress lines to cover

Would a press improve the grade? Perhaps, although it's virtually impossible to say anything from just the grader notes. CGC's grader notes are not standardized (and, indeed, not mandatory for the graders to provide). "Light bends" are pretty likely to be a pressable defect; spine stress is almost certainly not. "Light creasing" could go either way; just because the notes don't use the magic word "color-breaking", doesn't mean they are or aren't.

Would a press be worth it in terms in cost-to-value? I doubt it. It's really tough to earn more than +0.5 on a press. But let's say you have press-friendly defects and a skilled presser and earn +1.0 grade adjustment via CPR. GoCollect reports that Marvel Super-Heroes 8 is a $55 book in an 8.0 slab, $70 at 7.5, and an $85 book in a 9.0 slab. CCS QuickPress plus regrading and shipping are already north of $30, and if you only get an 8.5 back, you've only gained +$15 on FMV.

I think there's a common misconception that a press even from the best presser is an automatic bump.  I sent a modern book in for grading without pressing and I know it had minor issues that could be pressed out but didn't think it'd grade lower then a 9.2-9.4 and didn't need a 9.6/9.8.  I wouldn't been happy with a 9.0 for that matter.  It comes back an 8.0 with notes similar to yours.  CGC has a tendency to be very vague with their grader notes.  I sent the book for a press and it still came back an 8.0 with even less notes.  The book looks better to me and I see a couple of the color breaking creases gone but I don't agree with the grade especially after a press.  You can make an informed opinion on if a press will help or what a book will grade at but nothing is guaranteed.

1 hour ago, weasel87 said:

I recently submitted a Marvel Super-Heroes #8 that came back an 8.0. I bought it from a guy online and paid $100 for it because he felt it was NM. I am trying to decide if I should resubmit with a press? How much of a bump could I reasonably get? Here are the grader notes:

light bends to cover
light creasing to cover

I'd wait until I had a decent amount of books to press and throw it on the pile...

1 hour ago, weasel87 said:

light bends to cover
light creasing to cover

Anything with line spine stress is not NM, you should have sent it back if that was not properly shown in the pics on e-bay. Depending on how they appear on the comic, you might not be getting that much of a bump. Definitely not worthwhile when you are now looking at over 70$ in grading costs all said and done (since you'll have to pay for a press and then pay for grading again. 

Just look at the math. So far you have spent 125$ (at least) for a book worth less than $50.

With those grader notes, the best you'd get with a press would be a book worth around $70 (a 9.2)

So would you be ok spending $170 (at least) on a book worth at most $70?

Edited by William-James88

2 hours ago, Myowncollector said:

What William said. For $100 bucks you could have bought a 9.4 already slabbed. Sell your 8.0 and add $50 and get that 9.2 9.4

After you press, ship, tax, slab you are looking at enough $ to buy a 8.5 

I would rather have 2 8.0s or a 9.4 than a 9.0 at best. 

^^

18 hours ago, weasel87 said:

light bends to cover
light creasing to cover

So, now that everyone answered your question, what are your thoughts and what are you going to do?