• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Hulk 181 -- GRADE IS IN
1 1

22 posts in this topic

Very large tear in cover that had been taped (see 2nd photo). MVS is intact. Trying to determine if it makes any sense to send this in for grading. Thanks!

20200706_110955.thumb.jpg.dec4a1334e9e571cafcba909fc21146c.jpg

20200706_111034.jpg

Edited by Slyde

I guess the cover tear was too much....

Here's my question:  If the Marvel Value Stamp was missing (it isn't), would this likely have been a Purple label 0.5? 

Grader Notes:
light staining to cover
moderate bends to cover
moderate creasing to cover
three fourths piece re-attached with tape cover

20201208_194603.jpg

8 hours ago, Slyde said:

Here's my question:  If the Marvel Value Stamp was missing (it isn't), would this likely have been a Purple label 0.5? 

Grader Notes:
light staining to cover
moderate bends to cover

Qualified Label, not Restored.

General question:

If this was your book, what would you do with it at this point? Just leave it alone? or would you look into restoration and re-submit? It's not like the tear is the only problem....

On 12/9/2020 at 5:20 AM, WPPJames said:

Wow. .5 seems awfully harsh. I thought that was reserved for books with entire page(s) missing.

On 12/8/2020 at 9:50 PM, Slyde said:

Grader Notes:
light staining to cover
moderate bends to cover

CGC's current policy on tape is to grade as if the tape isn't there.  Without the tape holding the 3/4 of the cover on it would be missing 3/4 of the front cover, ergo the .5 grade.  If the tear wasn't complete it would probably have gotten the 1.0-1.8 everyone was guessing.

54 minutes ago, thunsicker said:

CGC's current policy on tape is to grade as if the tape isn't there.  Without the tape holding the 3/4 of the cover on it would be missing 3/4 of the front cover, ergo the .5 grade.  If the tear wasn't complete it would probably have gotten the 1.0-1.8 everyone was guessing.

That makes sense. With the tape on I just viewed it as a really large tear. But I now see that its all the way across and that section would be completely detached if not for the tape.

Edited by WPPJames