• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Trading Cards is Here!
4 4

58 posts in this topic

• Administrator
On 7/7/2020 at 1:09 PM, thunsicker said:

The video says graders are prohibited from buying and selling cards commercially, how does that square with this statement?  Are they all getting out of the hobby to become graders?  Are they buying and selling cards in some non-commercial way?

We are not going to prohibit collectors from collecting, that would be cruel! 

• Administrator
On 7/7/2020 at 4:15 PM, Bart Allen said:

PaulS, I'm curious about a few things, relating to 1999-2000:

1. Why is Base 2000 not classified as a set, but instead a variant?

I'm bringing up this point as Unlimited, Shadowless and Base 2000 are in the same 'set name' category; yet, Base 2000 seems to be marginalised, if you please - as if anything, Shadowless isn't categorised as such, but Base 2000 is? There are four subsets/variants (set names) of Base Set: 1st edition, Shadowless, Unlimited and Base 2000, hence why I don't believe it should be separated, as it is within the Online Submission Form - more so as it's the last major change on the layout of Base.

1c22a1d83d16df1bd5b82e5f94f7f858.png

2. Will it be known as Base Set 2000/Base 2000?

Base 2000 was born with the passing of the 20th century; the CGC Online Submission Form agrees with this too, given you can only access Base 2000 by choosing in '2000' via the 'Year' selection. The advantage is that it makes it more concise and straight-to-the-point, dare I say trippingly on the tongue. This would make it a tad bit similar to Unlimited, Shadowless and 1st, instead of being needlessly cumbersome. It doesn't necessarily have to acknowledge 1999-2000 as surely that will be included in parenthesis anyway, for example:

Charizard

Pokemon (1999-2000)

Base Set - 2000 - 4/102

Also, as with the name Shadowless, and given that PSA was the first to acknowledge the term in grading: will you entertain the possibility of it being shown as 'Base 2000'? I must also stress, PSA (who were amongst those who coined the term Shadowless), also acknowledges the term in my dealings with them:

35a47580bc358cbc918a6073305dd5a6.png

A "Base 2000" card will be described as such:

Charizard

Pokemon (2000)

Base Set - Unlimited - 4/102

Holo - 1999-2000

This is how Charlie thought it should be, and he is our Pokemon expert so we will defer to his expertise. 

13 hours ago, PaulS. said:

A "Base 2000" card will be described as such:

Charizard

Pokemon (2000)

Base Set - Unlimited - 4/102

Holo - 1999-2000

This is how Charlie thought it should be, and he is our Pokemon expert so we will defer to his expertise. 

I understand, and I've emailed, Charlie, as this set-name (not a variant, but one of the four sub-sets of Base) being placed as Unlimited is going to be very confusing for some people - as well as being inaccurate ~

Edited by Bart Allen

On 7/7/2020 at 12:00 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

You'd risk sending in an unopened pack of ABU...?

No what i meant was are they worth more still sealed in the packs or should i open them and send them in for Grading? this probably isn't the right forum for this question. But if anyone know the answer that would be a great help

28 minutes ago, topcat54 said:

That was my next question I have a few cards autographed that are Artist Proof cards and came from the artist themselves.

How would they grade them? 

Green Label like with unwitnessed comics.

On 7/10/2020 at 4:16 PM, Frankieg2010 said:

No what i meant was are they worth more still sealed in the packs or should i open them and send them in for Grading? this probably isn't the right forum for this question. But if anyone know the answer that would be a great help

Schrodinger's cat: Pack with no Power 9 is worth less than someone will pay. Power 9 is worth at least 10 ABU packs.