• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Trading Cards is Here!
4 4

58 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, Truetype80 said:

Yeah. Was disappointed at the requirement. How does the single card compare to psa ? Don't wanna make an account just to check price 

CGC is definitely cheaper in terms of fees, but tacking on things like sub grades and error charges makes it possible for them to be more expensive in their economy tier.

The higher tiers are much cheaper at CGC though - significantly so.

But they're untested, so even being cheaper I'm hesitant to send anything of value to them without some sort of incentive.

I have accounts at both competitors - that's why that bulk requirement is an ultra disappointment to me. CGC should have broke the mold.

I'm guessing their must be some type of conflict of interest with their old Company SGC for reason why they arent doing sports cards.

Would love to have clarification tho so dont randomly send in sports cards for them only to get kicked back.

Im an MTG collector and i've been fully on the beckett bandwagon for a while. When i saw CGC grading MTG and pokemon I was excited. i saw the cases and got less excited but if i can deal with PSA cases sometimes i could deal with these. my issue is that from the little teasers in the graded MTG facebook group, the cards look very loosely graded and on top of that they arent even really competing in price other than for high end cards. 

no subgrades costs basically the same amount as PSA and BGS without subs so i dont see why you would pay the same price at CGC when these already established services offer the same thing (i suppose the only difference is turn around time)

and with subgrades at 13 dollars a card i dont see why anyone should use this over BGS, sure its slightly cheaper per card but you lose the premium people are willing to pay for high graded BGS cards. overall i dont see where this service fits in at all. 

when i first saw the prices i thought it was 8 dollars and subgrades were always included. at that price im on board 100% i think that would be a great reason for me to almost fully switch from BGS. Especially considering the membership packages also come with a discount built in. at 8 dollars a card i really couldnt argue against CGC seeing as how its basically 2 cards for every 1 beckett card. but as it stands now im not seeing where this fits in with the other major companies. I dont think its cost effective, and from what i've seen of cards being graded so far (sample cards) I dont think they will command a premium over PSA/BGS

Does CGC have any expertise in card grading? Did they begin to employ people with experience in professional card grading?

I could see myself getting some MtG promo cards that I have graded. They're not super valuable or anything, but I don't use them, and I only have them because of the foil promo art.

If i have MTG cards still in the packs such as alpha, beta and 3rd edition is it better to leave them in the packs or have them taken out and graded I also have original pokemon cards still sealed in packs? Thanks for the help trying to keep the highest value for them.

Edited by Frankieg2010

10 minutes ago, Frankieg2010 said:

If i have MTG cards still in the packs such as alpha, beta and 3rd edition is it better to leave them in the packs or have them taken out and graded I also have original pokemon cards still sealed in packs? Thanks for the help trying to keep the highest value for them.

You'd risk sending in an unopened pack of ABU...?

• Administrator
19 hours ago, Bart Allen said:

I'm praying they'll recognise Pokemon's Base 2000 set ~

But will they grade boxing and other sports cards?

Yes we will be doing 1999-2000 Base.

Only Magic and Pokémon TCG for now. 

Edited by PaulS.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Does CGC have any expertise in card grading? Did they begin to employ people with experience in professional card grading?

I could see myself getting some MtG promo cards that I have graded. They're not super valuable or anything, but I don't use them, and I only have them because of the foil promo art.

We hired Charlie Hurlocker, a huge name in Pokémon. Our head grader is a Magic expert. The other graders all collect and play Magic and Pokémon as well!

-Paul

10 minutes ago, PaulS. said:

We hired Charlie Hurlocker, a huge name in Pokémon. Our head grader is a Magic expert. The other graders all collect and play Magic and Pokémon as well!

-Paul

Have any of these people been employed to professionally grade cards before? If not, would I be correct in assuming that they are all extremely familiar with how to grade trading cards?

48 minutes ago, PaulS. said:

-Paul

The video says graders are prohibited from buying and selling cards commercially, how does that square with this statement?  Are they all getting out of the hobby to become graders?  Are they buying and selling cards in some non-commercial way?

15 hours ago, PaulS. said:

Yes we will be doing 1999-2000 Base.

Only Magic and Pokémon TCG for now. 

PaulS, I'm curious about a few things, relating to 1999-2000:

1. Why is Base 2000 not classified as a set, but instead a variant?

I'm bringing up this point as Unlimited, Shadowless and Base 2000 are in the same 'set name' category; yet, Base 2000 seems to be marginalised, if you please - as if anything, Shadowless isn't categorised as such, but Base 2000 is? There are four subsets/variants (set names) of Base Set: 1st edition, Shadowless, Unlimited and Base 2000, hence why I don't believe it should be separated, as it is within the Online Submission Form - more so as it's the last major change on the layout of Base.

1c22a1d83d16df1bd5b82e5f94f7f858.png

2. Will it be known as Base Set 2000/Base 2000?

Base 2000 was born with the passing of the 20th century; the CGC Online Submission Form agrees with this too, given you can only access Base 2000 by choosing in '2000' via the 'Year' selection. The advantage is that it makes it more concise and straight-to-the-point, dare I say trippingly on the tongue. This would make it a tad bit similar to Unlimited, Shadowless and 1st, instead of being needlessly cumbersome. It doesn't necessarily have to acknowledge 1999-2000 as surely that will be included in parenthesis anyway, for example:

Charizard

Pokemon (1999-2000)

Base Set - 2000 - 4/102

Also, as with the name Shadowless, and given that PSA was the first to acknowledge the term in grading: will you entertain the possibility of it being shown as 'Base 2000'? I must also stress, PSA (who were amongst those who coined the term Shadowless), also acknowledges the term in my dealings with them:

35a47580bc358cbc918a6073305dd5a6.png

Edited by Bart Allen

Anyone know what the bolded portion below means, and are there currently elite Pedigree collections for MTG or Pokémon trading cards?

"To pedigree a card to a previous owner, that collector or collection must be considered to be significant by CGC Trading Cards and sufficient documentation must be provided to confirm the requested pedigree. You can pedigree a card to yourself, typically without providing any documentation."

Wow this reminds me of being back on the boards in 2002 where we had Coins (we comic folk called them "Coinees") and the Sports Card Forums that, while small, always seemed to be high on controversy among the members. I'm sure some of the other oldsters remember that. The sports cards were SGC standing for Sportscards Guaranty LLC. This were really great times. It was all new and fresh and amazing! As you can see, those scales of justice were happening back then!

sgc-card.jpg

Edited by PovertyRow
better image