• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recently signed book coming back at a lower grade.
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Have any of you had books CGC graded at 9.8 submitted to them for a signing and have it come back as a 9.6 (or lower)?  I thought the likelihood of this happening would be very low.  So far I have submitted a total of 4 previously graded books for signature.  I didn't opt to have my 9.8 books pressed after signing because I felt the extra $20 is a rip off on top of the $70 (or more) for a signature.  1 is coming back a 9.6 and I'm quite annoyed about it.  So my personal experience us a 25% rate of decreased grade from signing.  I know it's a minuscule sample size, but i'm getting nervous about the 9.8 X-Men 129 that is in CGC's possession right now.

2 hours ago, evolpe79 said:

Have any of you had books CGC graded at 9.8 submitted to them for a signing and have it come back as a 9.6 (or lower)?  I thought the likelihood of this happening would be very low.  So far I have submitted a total of 4 previously graded books for signature.  I didn't opt to have my 9.8 books pressed after signing because I felt the extra $20 is a rip off on top of the $70 (or more) for a signature.  1 is coming back a 9.6 and I'm quite annoyed about it.  So my personal experience us a 25% rate of decreased grade from signing.  I know it's a minuscule sample size, but i'm getting nervous about the 9.8 X-Men 129 that is in CGC's possession right now.

Those folks are signing thousands of comics for an event like this. Speed over care is a huge factor. Not really surprised there would be issues; sorry it happened though.

I appreciate all the replies.  I guess I thought with the book in a window bag most of the handling issues would be negligible.  I guess I better contact CGC to add pressing to my books for after signing.  As of right now, I had 4 9.8s cracked and signed.  all but 1 came back a 9.8.  small sample size, but if 25% come back at a lower grade, that's a terrible result.

5 hours ago, evolpe79 said:

I appreciate all the replies.  I guess I thought with the book in a window bag most of the handling issues would be negligible.  I guess I better contact CGC to add pressing to my books for after signing.  As of right now, I had 4 9.8s cracked and signed.  all but 1 came back a 9.8.  small sample size, but if 25% come back at a lower grade, that's a terrible result.

It sounds like the typical result. It's been worse. Books come back in 9.4, 9.2 and there was even a report of a book coming back a 7.5. Stuff happens. That's why 9.8 signature series sell so well on the aftermarket, they are that much more rare, they passed an extra stage not all books pass. Trying to make one's own instead of buying one already available comes with that risk.

A properly window bagged book really shouldn't drop in grade unless it is removed from the bag or handled particularly egregiously. I've only ever had one book drop in grade, from 9.4 to 9.2, because Rick Veitch decided to take my book home with him from a show because he couldn't decide how he wanted to remark the cover. 

1 hour ago, Ryan. said:

A properly window bagged book really shouldn't drop in grade unless it is removed from the bag or handled particularly egregiously. I've only ever had one book drop in grade, from 9.4 to 9.2, because Rick Veitch decided to take my book home with him from a show because he couldn't decide how he wanted to remark the cover. 

The book I submitted did have a noticable and significant flaw on the bottom corner of the spine. I think the downgrade is more likely due to grader opinion on that defect than a new defect occurred during signing. 

Here's a link to the book if you happen to be interested in seeing it prior to signatures.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1YYQRsRUAtax6nwK6

2 hours ago, evolpe79 said:

The book I submitted did have a noticable and significant flaw on the bottom corner of the spine. I think the downgrade is more likely due to grader opinion on that defect than a new defect occurred during signing. 

Here's a link to the book if you happen to be interested in seeing it prior to signatures.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1YYQRsRUAtax6nwK6

Sometimes you have a 9.7 Since there is no 9.7 you have to go one way or the other. That's probably it. But you would think cgc and artist would be more careful with books, if you keep getting 9.8s lowered are you going to keep paying to get them signed. 

This "issue" gets posted every couple of months here on the forums. 

I'll try to be brief. If you value the grade your book is in more than the signature, don't remove it from the CGC holder to get it signed. In the process of getting book removed from the holder, getting signed and getting regraded there are multiple steps, multiple people handling the book and thus multiple opportunities for the book to get a bend or bump or worse. 

I personally NEVER remove 9.8's from holders for signatures. NEVER< NEVER. Because for all practical purposes, 9.8 is the top grade. The chances of a 9.8 going to 9.9 are pretty much  zero.  So the best you can hope for is the same grade. Dropping one or more grades is a real possibility.  Go find a 9.4 or a 9.6 and get it pressed after signed. Then you might get good news instead of bad. 

You just have to decide.... Which is more important to you?  The current grade or that book with a signature - perhaps with a lesser grade?  Because the risk of a grade drop - as the OP has discovered - is real. 

Edited by Tony S

I had my Wolverine Limited Series #1 & #2 cracked and signed by Joe Rubinstein. They were both 9.8 books. I requested them to be pressed because I took a pic with him and his grip on my book made me cringe. Luckily they both came back a 9.8 

A7F67A5A-66E0-4990-B620-C80DE53D7BCD.jpeg

Edited by RayJr

12 hours ago, Myowncollector said:

Sometimes you have a 9.7 Since there is no 9.7 you have to go one way or the other. That's probably it. But you would think cgc and artist would be more careful with books, if you keep getting 9.8s lowered are you going to keep paying to get them signed. 

I was thinking exactly what you stated.  Perhaps the book was a "9.7".  The first grading committee rounded up, but this time, the grading committee rounded down.  I intend to have 1 more person sign the book.  Hopefully when it get regraded, the committee will bring it back to the 9.8.

8 hours ago, Tony S said:

This "issue" gets posted every couple of months here on the forums. 

I'll try to be brief. If you value the grade your book is in more than the signature, don't remove it from the CGC holder to get it signed. In the process of getting book removed from the holder, getting signed and getting regraded there are multiple steps, multiple people handling the book and thus multiple opportunities for the book to get a bend or bump or worse. 

I personally NEVER remove 9.8's from holders for signatures. NEVER< NEVER. Because for all practical purposes, 9.8 is the top grade. The chances of a 9.8 going to 9.9 are pretty much  zero.  So the best you can hope for is the same grade. Dropping one or more grades is a real possibility.  Go find a 9.4 or a 9.6 and get it pressed after signed. Then you might get good news instead of bad. 

You just have to decide.... Which is more important to you?  The current grade or that book with a signature - perhaps with a lesser grade?  Because the risk of a grade drop - as the OP has discovered - is real. 

This was the dilemma I was facing when deciding to send in a few books for Claremont to sign (First Rogue, first Psylocke, first Emma Frost/Kitty Pride).  I asked CGC for some stats on how often a grade gets dropped when being signed.  They couldn't provide any numbers, as it's not something they track, but they informed me it is a rare occurrence.  From that exchange I decided it was OK to submit them for signature.  I think I'm just spooked right now knowing I have high value books at risk after seeing 1 out of the first 5 pre-graded books I submitted come back a lower grade.  I believe the other books I sent in were more solid 9.8s and are less likely to see a grade drop as long as the books are handled well.