So, any type of card?
4 4

24 posts in this topic

37 posts

What about the worthless but nostalgicly lovely Marvel Hologram cards from the 90s?

13,401 posts

Worthless? Have seen what psa 9 and 10s are hitting? Not so worthless anymore. 

37 posts
1 hour ago, Green said:

I have no idea what that means.  :D

13,401 posts

13,401 posts
1 minute ago, First Upgrade said:

Marvel Universe Series III, Wolverine Hologram #H-3...NEED a CGC 10!! For the WIN...

:banana:MU Series III Wolverine Hologram.jpg

744 posts
6 hours ago, mediaslave said:

What about the worthless but nostalgicly lovely Marvel Hologram cards from the 90s?

They're only doing Pokemon and Magic the Gathering at the moment ~

32 posts

Here's hoping they will consider expanding into at least the non-sports comic related cards from the 90s on in the near future. I've been looking through a lot of my stuff to see about weeding out things and was just looking for some kind of encapsulation for those really rare chase and prototype/ holographics. 

1,192 posts

I'd be tempted to start grading some of my "worthless" cards because i've always had a nostalgic attachment to them.  Even though most are common as dirt, we could see a rise in the price of the common sets if they do start grading as i'm sure other collectors would start to get cards graded of their favorite heroes or to match their graded comics.

1,764 posts

Over the years I've had a few trading cards signed at conventions. First time around I asked CGC if they certified these as they do the lobby cards. Unfortunately they don't. Even without a grade it would be nice to have a signature series cards showing they are authentic.

PS my other idea about mailing books directly to CGC for signatures is now a reality so hopefully my signature card idea can be made possible too.

11,631 posts
Posted (edited)

Beckett, the head company of Voldy grading, puts five (5) separate grades on the front of their trading card slabs. Sample is here.

Thus, Cgc card slabs are using a similar format.

Edited by aardvark88
sp.

1,258 posts
On 7/6/2020 at 5:29 PM, mediaslave said:

On 7/6/2020 at 8:29 PM, Green said:

I have all of the holograms from series 1, 2 and 3 (and a couple of doubles) in the official Marvel Binders, they were bought new and went straight into the albums.

1 post

So can you submit any type of card other than Magic the Gathering,or Pokemon?. Can I submit valiant cards or garage pail kids cards for example.

195 posts
On 7/13/2020 at 1:55 AM, Angvianche said:

So can you submit any type of card other than Magic the Gathering,or Pokemon?. Can I submit valiant cards or garage pail kids cards for example.

My Kingdom for a Gem Mint Adam Bomb!

282 posts

I have some Star Wars Widevision cards I'm nostalgic about that I might consider if they take that route and format.

6,192 posts

Anyone ever collect these?

IMG    DESERT STORM WRAPPER  PAC   (200 dpi).jpg

115 posts

It seems like leaving both money and opportunity on the table by only grading Pokemon and MTG cards.

A card has 4 corners, 4 edges and 2 surfaces (front and back), so it should not make a difference what they're grading.

It's like if a competitor to CGC emerged, as CGC's Card Division should be looking to earn market share from PSA and BGS and to a degree SGC (who is trying to climb back into the mix), and the new comic grading company said they only will grade Marvel and DC but not Dark Horse, IDW, Image, etc.

It's a flawed approach to entering the market hoping to get forward momentum.

It should be easy to set up grading centers where PSA and BGS are located to "steal" their employees if staffing is an issue too.

CGC needs to get into the non-sports and sports card market out of the gate.  MTG and Pokemon are popular but too niche.