• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Inability to read book after grading
1 1

9 posts in this topic

I assume that this is a universal issue common to every book that's graded and encapsulated for eternity...  So, since GGC is analyzing the book anyway, I'm surprised they can't offer a service to record an image of each page of the book, and include a digital .pdf copy or something along with the slab?

I guess there would likely be copywrite problems, but am I the only one who thinks it would be cool to get a code to download a digital copy of your encapsulated book?  You know, just in case you ever want to read one of the books again, and for most older books I assume that no official digiital versions even exist!

Edited by StreetPreacher

3 hours ago, StreetPreacher said:

I assume that this is a universal issue common to every book that's graded and encapsulated for eternity...  So, since GGC is analyzing the book anyway, I'm surprised they can't offer a service to record an image of each page of the book, and include a digital .pdf copy or something along with the slab?

I guess there would likely be copywrite problems, but am I the only one who thinks it would be cool to get a code to download a digital copy of your encapsulated book?  You know, just in case you ever want to read one of the books again, and for most older books I assume that no official digiital versions even exist!

In most cases you can find the book online so I don't really think there's an issue. And there are lots of reprints and collected editions out there. Plus that's the reason readers are still sought after on the market, they are a fun inexpensive way to read the comic without worrying about it too much.

9 hours ago, StreetPreacher said:

There are digital comic book services for this.

21 hours ago, StreetPreacher said:

I think that's a cool idea. Unfortunately, when a company certifies hundreds of books a week, I don't see how it could ever happen...

Not to mention the extra handling that would result. I don't collect silver age Marvels but I like reading them. So runs like Collectors Item Classics are a great way to inexpensively read the SA stores. An added bonus is these inexpensive, multi-story books, were printed in the 60s so they are real SA books in their own right.

Collitem3.jpg

CGC already has an imaging option to photograph the front and back of your book for $5.  So if they were to expand that to the whole comic, another 32 pages, $5 per 2 pages, you're at $85 including the covers.  I'll pass.

You can find a lot of public domain books here:

https://digitalcomicmuseum.com/

With that said, it is frustrating when people complain that they can't read their slabbed copy and it hasn't been scanned yet despite being public domain.  If you care that much, scan and share it before you slab it!