• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Joe Maneely appreciation thread
5 5

234 posts in this topic

Ok - so this isn't the nicest copy but when I bought it I was happy to find an affordable copy as while I think Maneely is great, I am more an Everett fan and this has a nice 6 page Everett story in it.  That said when it arrived I noticed the aftermarket art on the female figure - this is one of the oddest things I've got on a book in my collection!

Uncanny Tales 2 d72 posted.jpg

On 8/21/2020 at 8:38 PM, Robot Man said:

Interesting find. Got this book in today. While going through it, I noticed this story. Signed at bottom last page Maneely. 

Made me wonder what is his first published work. It was listed as August 1948 for Street & Smith. 

Well, this is a month earlier in July. His first comic book work? When I get the chance I will check my run of 1948 Shadow comics and see if I can find anything earlier than July. 

D60B9C11-6593-4C4D-BA29-E36A4BA2EB94.jpeg

F6C7CB0B-4E1D-48DB-8CDB-2B0636268523.jpeg

B9F0E4A4-82EA-477E-B063-91CBE1E3A093.jpeg

His first was probably for Street and Smith in 1948, like Red Dragon. I haven’t seen any of his work for that and for Marvel, but the few stories he did for Avon amused me quite a bit:

Geronimo #1 (1950):

QyYzpnO.jpg

l9ZNGVb.jpg

SoVcAIC.jpg

8 hours ago, mtlevy1 said:

Ok - so this isn't the nicest copy but when I bought it I was happy to find an affordable copy as while I think Maneely is great, I am more an Everett fan and this has a nice 6 page Everett story in it.  That said when it arrived I noticed the aftermarket art on the female figure - this is one of the oddest things I've got on a book in my collection!

Uncanny Tales 2 d72 posted.jpg

Love those Atlas “melting covers”. That is probably my favorite. 

I too, have a couple of similar “altered” Fox GGA books. Seems some horny kid penciled in the “private parts” all through them in pencil...:roflmao: