• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Joe Maneely appreciation thread
5 5

234 posts in this topic

32 minutes ago, MasterChief said:

Yes. What I'm saying is... Maneely's work in the 50s may have creatively inspired small elements of Lenone's work in the 60s. (thumbsu

:blush:

3 hours ago, adamstrange said:

Spellbound 24 looks like some inking done by Burgos on top of whatever Maneely delivered. 

That’s because it is 

timely-atlas-comics.blogspot.com/2016/10/atlas-errata-cover-alterations-and.html?m=1

On 7/7/2020 at 11:54 AM, thunsicker said:

My blazing hot take...  Joe Maneely was Atlas's best artist in the 50's.  Better than Everett, Burgos, Severin, Ditko, and even better than Kirby.  Had he survived until Marvel's silver age he would have been the one everyone called the king.

It's possible. Personally... I think Maneely was a great artist who doesn't get his due, but... Jack was a better storyteller, concept/idea guy. 

Maneely would've made some of Stan/Jack's lamer ideas (Daredevil, Iron Man, X-men) look a hell of a lot better, because he inked his own work  and it always looked full... none of this Vince Coletta thin ink style or rushed Don Heck/George Tuska* stories softly inked by whoever... the art on some of those early stories would've rocked with Maneely drawing it...

But I just don't see anything in Maneely's work that makes me think he would've one day did anything like the Galactus trilogy. He was a great genre artist... GREAT... and I like to think he would've been a really cool superhero artist... the possibilities are fun to think about... but I just don't see a Captain America he helped create prior to his death, or a Challengers of the Unknown... Jack wasn't just a great artist with an exciting, action storytelling style, he was also a story writer and an idea guy who worked with some good writers over the years to create some of the biggest comics ever released in the first 40 years of the hobby.

*Not knocking Heck or Tuska - I just think their GA work was lightyears better.

1 hour ago, Scrooge said:

Here's an earlier issue -

1325578485_WildWestern18.thumb.jpg.df6f4bd5913b65c8294b22f9ca26a743.jpg

That's a great little image of Black Rider on a bucking bronco in the upper left.

6 hours ago, adamstrange said:

That's a great little image of Black Rider on a bucking bronco in the upper left.

Strangely enough my inner critic says "Shores" when I see that image. Possible?

14 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

Strangely enough my inner critic says "Shores" when I see that image. Possible?

That wouldn't surprise me, but it may also be a swipe of a sculpture or painting.