• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Robotech Macross Cartoon Rick Hunter Opening Sketches Auction

12 posts in this topic

This auction might be worth a watch. I still look for cels from G.I. Joe and other 80s cartoons. But someone just showed this auction to me. It's the first shot of Rick Hunter in the opening of Robotech in America or Macross in Japan.

1339753153_hikarurickhunteropeningsketch.thumb.jpg.a0adb1afbb536d93c2e827661a24cb53.jpg

https://www.jauce.com/auction/s752544246

They are auctioning 16 sketches as a lot. Going by the sketch above, it seems like there are only 22 sketches in the sequence. If I had my VHS with jogging function hooked up I could check to be positive. But one of these could be by the character designer of the show since it's the opening. Just getting one would be good enough for me. But you have to win the whole thing.

Edited by GeneticNinja

That’s awesome 😎 

interesting to see the differences Between the western and eastern credits.     The western credits clearly seem designed to unify the three separate stories where the eastern is just macross.  

Edited by Bronty

15 hours ago, Bronty said:

That’s awesome 😎 

interesting to see the differences Between the western and eastern credits.     The western credits clearly seem designed to unify the three separate stories where the eastern is just macross.  

Yeah, the Japanese version is just Macross. Southern Cross and New Generation (Mospeada) aren't related to Macross at all. I didn't figure that out till years later myself. But they do look similar with the animation and transforming military mechs.

29 minutes ago, BCarter27 said:

This triggered almost as much nostalgia for me as the Robotech opening you posted. 9_9

I still have a bunch of VHS tapes. I remember the days of the small video stores and rentals. People crowded into a small area to rent a maximum of 3 to 5 movies for a few days. Seeing Basic Instinct and a few others for like $100 to own in glass display cases. Laserdisc was high end. I still have my TRON box set edition laserdisc.

16 hours ago, GeneticNinja said:

Laserdisc was high end. I still have my TRON box set edition laserdisc.

We won't discuss how much money I spent on LDs back then. :whistle:  And people complain about Bluray prices... hah! $35 for your basic run-of-the-mill LD title. Criterion and MGM special releases were $50 and up. I remember when I got the '93 Star Wars remaster boxed set. It was a day long remembered.

3 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

We won't discuss how much money I spent on LDs back then. :whistle:  And people complain about Bluray prices... hah! $35 for your basic run-of-the-mill LD title. Criterion and MGM special releases were $50 and up. I remember when I got the '93 Star Wars remaster boxed set. It was a day long remembered.

Imagine a company today policing behavior by charging a quarter for not doing something. The fake social media rage would be swift and painful. 

My first unofficial job was working for my parents who bought two video stores pre-Blockbuster. This was back in the day when you had to buy a membership to the store with different tiers giving you different levels of service. Back when there were waiting lists for each new movie because the store only got one copy (presumably because each movie was so expensive). My job was grabbing the actual video from the back room when people checked out, this was prior to the tapes just being on the store shelf. Of course, we also had the other back room movies, the ones that came in brown clamshell cases. For those, my mom would grab the cover (itself NSFW) and go get the movie herself. Imagine checking out at a store and having a middle aged woman visibly take one of your videos because her 11 year son wasn't allowed back in that room. And then leaving with the brown cover of shame so all the world knows what you just rented.  And the internet was primed to take over the world.

Edited by cstojano

On 7/8/2020 at 4:29 PM, BCarter27 said:

Imagine handing someone a VHS rewinder today. It's like the 20th century equivalent of a spitoon.

I never heard of a VHS rewinder before. I vaguely remember a few VHS machines behind the counter in that old rental store. I think they were just using those to rewind tapes. This was in the days when it was either Beta or VHS. I'm pretty sure we had a Beta machine too.

On 7/8/2020 at 7:28 PM, cstojano said:

Imagine a company today policing behavior by charging a quarter for not doing something. The fake social media rage would be swift and painful. 

My first unofficial job was working for my parents who bought two video stores pre-Blockbuster. This was back in the day when you had to buy a membership to the store with different tiers giving you different levels of service. Back when there were waiting lists for each new movie because the store only got one copy (presumably because each movie was so expensive). My job was grabbing the actual video from the back room when people checked out, this was prior to the tapes just being on the store shelf. Of course, we also had the other back room movies, the ones that came in brown clamshell cases. For those, my mom would grab the cover (itself NSFW) and go get the movie herself. Imagine checking out at a store and having a middle aged woman visibly take one of your videos because her 11 year son wasn't allowed back in that room. And then leaving with the brown cover of shame so all the world knows what you just rented.  And the internet was primed to take over the world.

I think we did have some kind of card membership. But I can't remember. I know Blockbuster had a card too. But yeah, I remember the tapes were behind the store countertop. We just took the names to the counter to rent. I never knew of any NSFW tapes in the store. I would only get lucky with the occasional horror movie that would have a peak of nudity. Or this scene in Golden Child.