• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What Have You Done with Your "Shaken Case Syndrome" Holders

13 posts in this topic

OK.  So now I'm fairly convinced my Thor 337 9.8 has experienced Shaken Case Syndrome after I've had it returned to me on Ebay

So what does one do?

I'm now very hesitant of getting the rest of my collection graded now that I see there's a chance the comic can actually be "ruined" by the holder.

I believe it happened when a buyer returned it because of "newton rings" he did not pack it very well and I believe that's what  happened.  

How have you dealt with it?

How do you deal with it going forward?

Is it just the risk of doing business on Ebay

I just can't fathom more 9.8's being ruined!!   

58 minutes ago, Tafkap said:

OK.  So now I'm fairly convinced my Thor 337 9.8 has experienced Shaken Case Syndrome after I've had it returned to me on Ebay

So what does one do?

I'm now very hesitant of getting the rest of my collection graded now that I see there's a chance the comic can actually be "ruined" by the holder.

I believe it happened when a buyer returned it because of "newton rings" he did not pack it very well and I believe that's what  happened.  

My suggestion would be to take it one comic at a time.

Personally, I'd contact CGC and see if the book could be pressed back to it's original condition... 

16 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

My suggestion would be to take it one comic at a time.

Personally, I'd contact CGC and see if the book could be pressed back to it's original condition... 

Okay.  thanks.  Have you ever had one of your comics experience this?  

2 hours ago, Tafkap said:

So what does one do?

I don't know what to do with this particular example aside from calling CGC. Especialy if you have before and after pics.

However, going forward there should be no reason for you to accept returns on CGC books. No one does that since that's the main benefit you get from paying so much money to get books slabbed. So make it strict, no returns on slabbed books. 

16 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

So make it strict, no returns on slabbed books. 

How though?  Even if you put no returns on your listing, eBay still accepts returns and tends to side with the buyer in what seems like almost every time.

I've always been worried about selling a book and then the comic coming back returned.  I have returns for cracked slabs and either send them to CGC for a reholder, sell it as is or deslab and sell it raw.

The best advice I saw for you is to contact CGC and see if they can potentially take care of it for you with a press and regrade but even then, they won't be able to guarantee the same exact grade.

1 hour ago, Tafkap said:

Okay.  thanks.  Have you ever had one of your comics experience this?  

I haven't had it happen to one of my own comics, but I've seen this happen many times. If this is the book I'm thinking of, the damage to it is pretty minor and should be fairly easy to fix.

Good luck and be well...

1 hour ago, Keys_Collector said:

How though?  Even if you put no returns on your listing, eBay still accepts returns and tends to side with the buyer in what seems like almost every time.

You stipulate it in the description. It's like in mint toys in boxes. You, the seller, cannot be held accountable for an issue with something that is sealed. Same with slabbed comics. the guarantee comes from CGC, not you. If ever they make a claim, bring up the listing showing that you mention everything and that there is nothing lacking. E-bay/paypall has sided with sellers in the past when there was nothing to reproach, my friend who sells Transformers on e-bay has had e-bay side with him every single time.

2 hours ago, William-James88 said:

going forward there should be no reason for you to accept returns on CGC books. No one does that since that's the main benefit you get from paying so much money to get books slabbed. So make it strict, no returns on slabbed books.

Doesn't matter with eBay, buyers can return anything they want 

2 hours ago, William-James88 said:

You stipulate it in the description. It's like in mint toys in boxes. You, the seller, cannot be held accountable for an issue with something that is sealed. Same with slabbed comics. the guarantee comes from CGC, not you. If ever they make a claim, bring up the listing showing that you mention everything and that there is nothing lacking. E-bay/paypall has sided with sellers in the past when there was nothing to reproach, my friend who sells Transformers on e-bay has had e-bay side with him every single time.

The description doesnt matter. What you are saying SHOULD be the way it is but unfortunately it isnt.  The description can say no returns but Paypal/eBay will allow returns for almost any reason.  Do you sell on eBay?  I'd say most sellers here know this to be true. 

29 minutes ago, Keys_Collector said:

The description doesnt matter. What you are saying SHOULD be the way it is but unfortunately it isnt.  The description can say no returns but Paypal/eBay will allow returns for almost any reason.  Do you sell on eBay?  I'd say most sellers here know this to be true. 

I do have ebay, though I have not sold comics there in 5 years. No one ever asked for a return on CGC books back when I was selling.

Edited by William-James88

One of my shaken comics is torn at the staples.  The cover is being held tightly by the inner sleeve with no framework to support the inner guts of the book.  CGC has since redesigned the slabs, but this is one book that won't benefit from a press.

On 7/7/2020 at 4:25 PM, William-James88 said:

However, going forward there should be no reason for you to accept returns on CGC books.

Umm, because I want to? That's a reason ... I think it's the best reason.

On 7/7/2020 at 4:25 PM, William-James88 said:

No one does that ...

Not true.