• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Painting a Metal file cabinet for comics.

2 posts in this topic

I don't think it would be a problem if you used a high quality automotive enamel paint and you let it cure so that it is completely off-gassed.  Cure fully... which would take a long long time.

I've done enough painting on my Jeep and motorcycle to know there is no way a DIY project will result in a perfect finish when you are painting smooth metal.  It probably won't even look good unless you are awesome at it. 

The surface preparation has to be perfect and if you are using rattle cans (cans of spray paint) it is not possible to get a finish that doesn't look like a rattle can paint job.

I wouldn't do it.  There are lots of surplus file cabinets out there.  If you want a common color, like black, you can find them. Businesses don't store much paper compared to the old days.