• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-man #238 Canadian Price Variant Question

2 posts in this topic

I am hoping I can get a definitive answer regarding the Canadian variant of ASM #238 and the inclusion of the Tatooz insert. I am the original owner of this book and it does not contain the tattooz insert. There is no way that the 15 year old me would have removed the insert. Even at that age I was aware of the value of keeping your books intact. I also have the Canadian variant of FF #252 that also does not have the Tattoz insert. Both books show zero evidence of the inserts ever being inside and removed. The inserts were stapled into the book and its hard to imagine a 15 year old removing them without some effect to the book. My own investigations have uncovered conflicting evidence that some of the Canadian variants of these books were printed with and without the inserts. I have also not been able to find what CGC's definitive stance on this issue is. Any threads I have found are several years old and do nothing to make me confident of any definitive conclusions. I would like to know what to expect from CGC when I submit. TIA.

I am not an expert on the history, but have also heard ASM 238 CPV coming without the insert. My understanding is that CGC will treat this as a Qualified Grade. I've owned one with and without one, but have never submitted one without one to CGC. I have known of others who have inserted the FF#252 tattooz into the ASM 238 and have gotten away with a blue label. I don't support that, but know it does happen. If you have a nice copy, you will for sure end up causing more damage than good. I am curious myself, so will await others to respond, if any.