• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Requesting Modern Signature On Splash

10 posts in this topic

Has anyone ever requested a signature be put on the splash page for modern books? How does CGC handle this? How do artists usually handle this? 

I was thinking of sending a book in to one of the in house signings, but frankly I don’t want black scribbles across the front of the artwork. I know CGC wants window bags to save time, but that wouldn’t be possible with an inside signature. Would they just reject it as a submission or?

27 minutes ago, dshre00 said:

Has anyone ever requested a signature be put on the splash page for modern books? How does CGC handle this? How do artists usually handle this? 

I was thinking of sending a book in to one of the in house signings, but frankly I don’t want black scribbles across the front of the artwork. I know CGC wants window bags to save time, but that wouldn’t be possible with an inside signature. Would they just reject it as a submission or?

good question

I don't see anything in their SS releases that specifically states that the sig has to be done on the cover (other than the window bagging which would imply such)

though it doesn't state such (probably because the in house signings is a fairly new thing) I would think they would prefer not to have to page through to tabbed interiors and would default to just covers for simplicity/expedience sake

I would ask the ask CGC subforum https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/23-ask-cgc/

please report back as it may be helpful info to others who would consider the same 

there are SS books signed on the back cover, splash page, and even on specific pages within the book. I doubt you can request this for in house as it would cause slowdowns.

Agreed. I don't think this is available for their In House Signings. I think this is something you would need to do at a convention or through a facilitator. 

But you should definitely contact them as I'm sure there are probably a few others who would like that option. 

Keep in mind, should they allow it, you would not be able to see the signature you paid for without cracking the book out of the slab, which would then invalidate your SS book.

2 hours ago, Chazgee said:

Agreed. I don't think this is available for their In House Signings. I think this is something you would need to do at a convention or through a facilitator. 

But you should definitely contact them as I'm sure there are probably a few others who would like that option. 

Keep in mind, should they allow it, you would not be able to see the signature you paid for without cracking the book out of the slab, which would then invalidate your SS book.

How does not seeing the signature make it a non SS book? The signature is still there. 

5 minutes ago, dshre00 said:

How does not seeing the signature make it a non SS book? The signature is still there. 

Not what I said. 

I said that to see the signature you paid for, you would need to crack the book out of the slab and thereby invalidate the SS Certification. 

As long as the book stays slabbed, you've got a SS book. You just can't see the signature that's on an inner splash page.

Edited by Chazgee

I see (rarely) SS books signed in the back, but a very few that says signed on page x. What is the reason for having an SS book without seeing the sig? Perhaps a perception of keeping the book "pristine" while having a yellow label designation?

I had Adams sign the back of my Action 419. I love that cover and wanted to keep it clean but also wanted his signature visible, so the back cover was the best option. I haven't done that with any other book, but it's nice to have the option.

For Cgc SS in house it’s probably not allowed.

but I’m guessing they won’t say no if you offer a bunch of extra money for it.