• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Bubble Cover Appreciation Thread
1 1

238 posts in this topic

On 7/9/2020 at 5:36 AM, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

You ever notice how many comics there are where people are in bubbles?  Well I'm curious.  How many bubble covers are there?

1 Incredible Hulk #111.jpg

On 7/9/2020 at 5:37 AM, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

X-Men #099.jpg

I really like covers with background star fields.  Always look very cool to me.

6 hours ago, Hudson said:

My personal favorite "bubble" cover.  Please excuse the poor photography (and subsequent flash showing on the slab).

904570953_Action9.2(2).thumb.jpg.d6a2cd52dc5ff62d1f442b067b229761.jpg

I wish my parents could do this.

45 minutes ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

Wow.  Those aliens in Superworld look as weird or weirder than Wolverton’s.  Definitely more thought went into them than the talking pickle alien.

From Fantastic Adventures 1939.

Screenshot 2020-07-10 at 7.00.08 PM.png

1 hour ago, catman76 said:

sw1.thumb.jpg.0ce9cc877da3debacae004af46b902e9.jpg

First-- awesome cover

It seems like we just landed on their planet and instead of saying "hello" just started shooting? Some scientist. Where did they get these bozos from anyway? And also--how does one fire a laser pistol through a protective bubble?

Love the cover, have some questions about what is going on. The aliens don't even appear to have any weapons drawn - yet they have already killed at least on of them. 

Edited by 01TheDude

27 minutes ago, 01TheDude said:

First-- awesome cover

It seems like we just landed on their planet and instead of saying "hello" just started shooting? Some scientist. Where did they get these bozos from anyway? And also--how does one fire a laser pistol through a protective bubble?

Love the cover, have some questions about what is going on. The aliens don't even appear to have any weapons drawn - yet they have already killed at least on of them. 

Cover of Superworld by Frank R. Paul, Marvel Comics #1 (1939) cover artist; the founding father and inspiration for dozens of key Golden age comic book artists. 

Paul1.jpg

Paul2.png

Paul3.jpg

Paul2.jpg

2 hours ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

Wow.  Those aliens in Superworld look as weird or weirder than Wolverton’s.  Definitely more thought went into them than the talking pickle alien.

Frank R. Paul created awesome aliens, especially the ones on the back covers of Fantastic Adventures...

02_fanadv_1939-05_bc_mars.jpg?w=700&h=

10_fanadv_1940-01_bc_jupiter.jpg?w=700&h

14_fanadv_1940-03_bc_neptune.jpg?w=700&h

12_fanadv_1940-02_bc_pluto.jpg?w=700&h=

06_fanadv_1939-09_bc_mercury.jpg?w=700&h

18_fanadv_1940-05_bc.jpg?w=700&h=

8 minutes ago, catman76 said:

Frank R. Paul created awesome aliens, especially the ones on the back covers of Fantastic Adventures...

The B&W drawings (plates) inside the pulps that Paul drew are also magnificent sci-fi art masterpieces. Hundreds upon hundreds of them strewn through the many 1920s and up pulp magazines he did the covers and back covers on. 

Paul10.jpg

Edited by James J Johnson