• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How Do You Suggest Organizing My Bookshelves?

49 posts in this topic

I'm gonna get an identical bookshelf soon, and set it up right next to my current one. I have 2 trains of thought RE: organizing them. Either keep my current one all-comics, and put all the informational books in the new one, or set 'em up like this:

image.thumb.png.7f191ec6a108e6fb8b3b828df697cfd5.png

What do you think?

44 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I'm gonna get an identical bookshelf soon, and set it up right next to my current one. I have 2 trains of thought RE: organizing them. Either keep my current one all-comics, and put all the informational books in the new one, or set 'em up like this:

image.thumb.png.7f191ec6a108e6fb8b3b828df697cfd5.png

What do you think?

I like your idea. Since the bookshelves are identical and will be side-by-side it will allow you to keep all similar books in one long line. I'm sure a bunch of Absolutes will look cool lined up across both shelves. 

16 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Either the joke is over my head, or you really don't know about these?

Yes... :gossip: It’s called a joke. 

Although, interesting books I used to use as a kid for school work and always enjoyed looking through because of my interest in history, they are a bit antiquated by today’s standards. Even for a geezer like my self. 

There is this new dangled invention called the internet that all the cool kids are using. Kind of made them go the way of tube radios, carburetors and rotary dial phones. 

6 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Although, interesting books I used to use as a kid for school work and always enjoyed looking through because of my interest in history, they are a bit antiquated by today’s standards. Even for a geezer like my self. 

There is this new dangled invention called the internet that all the cool kids are using. Kind of made them go the way of tube radios, carburetors and rotary dial phones. 

:pullhair:

My dad spent a pretty penny on them back in 1995, and I used to have them displayed before my comic hardcover/TPB collection exploded, so I'd like to put them back up when I have the shelf space. :)

When my Dad died, in 1979, my Mom offered to buy each of us something to remember him by. Both my sisters bought jewelry and I bought a set of Encyclopedia Britannica.

I had an old set of these as a kid and I thought these would be something I could hand down. After a few years of use, they were relegated to the basement. When I left NY four years ago, I offered them to my library, then to my local school, and finally offered them for free on Craigs List. It bothered me to throw them out, but they are pretty useless these days.

I'd think some prepper would have taken them for when the internet fails.

My childhood set was so old that when  looked up World War One, it wasn't even listed. That confused me because many things after WW1 were covered, such as the Depression and the New Deal. Eventually, I found it listed under The Great War.

18 minutes ago, shadroch said:

My childhood set was so old that when  looked up World War One, it wasn't even listed. That confused me because many things after WW1 were covered, such as the Depression and the New Deal. Eventually, I found it listed under The Great War.

so your set from from after WWI, but before WWII?!?!

How old are you!!?!?!

2 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

so your set from from after WWI, but before WWII?!?!

How old are you!!?!?!

I'm 61, six months from Social Security.

I got the set in 1965, after it had sat in my Uncles basement for many years. He'd bought it second hand for his son ,who was fifteen years older than me. It was missing two volumes, including the first one which would have had the publication date. An educated guess was it was from the mid to late thirties.

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Old encyclopedias are are great, I have five or six sets of them from the 1920s to 40s. Lots of great illustrations you can see no where else and just fun to read through.

I reorganized my shelves last night, and man, it's a hassle. I was working on two decent five tiered bookshelves with adjustable shelves, but the Absolutes throw everything out of whack. In order to get the Absolutes to fit, I had to raise the shelves which made the other shelves uneven. The middle tier is fixed, so you can't move it, which made for an awkward space. I finally got those two all done, and am mostly happy with the results, but I still feel like they're kinda crammed in.

ANYWAY, my personal advice would be to put the heaviest stuff near the bottom, even if you are anchoring the shelves. Omnis are heavy, but I'd put the Absolutes on the bottom as that will be your tallest/heaviest shelf. From there it's a matter of personal preference.

18 minutes ago, catman76 said:

Old encyclopedias are are great, I have five or six sets of them from the 1920s to 40s. Lots of great illustrations you can see no where else and just fun to read through.

That is true. So much information as well. They are fun just to open to a random page and read them. Over the years I’ve learned a lot from them. Have to say, I’ve parted ways with my set. They just take up so much room. Room I can use for other stuff. 

I sound a lot like my dad more and more every day. Life was a lot simpler and happy in the “old days”. 

Even though I’m getting a lot older and welcome most of the present innovations, I still play vinyl records, play my guitar through a tube amp and have a car and two motorcycles with carburetors. Some times, it’s hard to replace quality...

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:
3 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Either the joke is over my head, or you really don't know about these?

I like that @theCapraAegagrus suggested you go to Wikipedia to find out about encyclopedias, since Wikipedia is the reason no one needs encyclopedias.  

That's like suggesting someone drive their Ferrari down to the store to pick out a new front bench seat for their horse-drawn carriage. :kidaround:

28 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Still working on the reorganization, but here’s one corner. The aforementioned oddly sized shelf gap turned out to be a perfect spot for Jack Kirby New Gods figures!

C3E4384D-1E4C-4CF0-A7E5-59F470586B92.jpeg

2A87762F-7D10-4514-AC86-71FBB67F44E0.jpeg

So much awesome in those pics!!!. Diggin' that Terrordrome, hydrofoil and that old school Marvel Universe poster from way back. And is that a carded Secret Wars Wolverine?
Shelves look super duper by the way. Really really nice set-up.